What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 am Major revamp in this house this week. Husband went in for an angiogram on Thurs as his angina recently got very bad. They said urgent triple bypass, probably next week :shock: So I'm currently trying to do all the stuff he normally does. Forcing a big shovel into a coalhouse then carrying it up 4 steep steps at the back door is knocking hell out of my knees and shoulders. So far the easiest way seems to be filling 2 supermarket carrier bags and leaving them on the top step, then just picking up the bag and dumping the whole lot on the fire. The ashcan needs emptied twice a day, it's huge and heavy, and that's the next thing I need to work round.
Next thing is that he will be more or less an invalid for weeks and taking it easy for months. Can't drive now or for 6 weeks after his op and I don't drive.So this winter things round here will be different. We get a lot of snow and neither of us can clear it. The kids will need to show face and help a bit more I think. Shopping is ok, Sainsbugs weekly shop and Amazon for anything else. But hairdresser, doctor & dentist all involve a bus. One an hour and it's a ten minute walk to the road.
I might come out of this winter leanerer keen and very very mean :twisted: :twisted:
Might help with the ash pan

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ash-and-dirt-vac ... lsrc=aw.ds
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 am Major revamp in this house this week. Husband went in for an angiogram on Thurs as his angina recently got very bad. They said urgent triple bypass, probably next week :shock: So I'm currently trying to do all the stuff he normally does. Forcing a big shovel into a coalhouse then carrying it up 4 steep steps at the back door is knocking hell out of my knees and shoulders. So far the easiest way seems to be filling 2 supermarket carrier bags and leaving them on the top step, then just picking up the bag and dumping the whole lot on the fire. The ashcan needs emptied twice a day, it's huge and heavy, and that's the next thing I need to work round.
Next thing is that he will be more or less an invalid for weeks and taking it easy for months. Can't drive now or for 6 weeks after his op and I don't drive.So this winter things round here will be different. We get a lot of snow and neither of us can clear it. The kids will need to show face and help a bit more I think. Shopping is ok, Sainsbugs weekly shop and Amazon for anything else. But hairdresser, doctor & dentist all involve a bus. One an hour and it's a ten minute walk to the road.
I might come out of this winter leanerer keen and very very mean :twisted: :twisted:
I recently bought a smaller coal scuttle and shovel Lil,as my dear wife could not lift the old one,when full,after her recent surgery,and I cannot be here everyday,all day unfortunately.It is an issue when you heat with solid fuel.Its a case ,as you say,of working round the problem.Little but often is the way. I always keep one large logstore full of split wood,and two bins full of kindling ready to go.That is in case I am laid up for any reason.Normally I will split enough wood and sticks for the week.

Online shopping is a blessing too,and I am glad you can get deliveries where you live.My neighbour had a double bypass in the Summer,and he really is a new man because of it.That six weeks will soon pass.Oh yes,and the one thing so many folks said to me when my wife was poorly,and I will say to you; make sure you look after yourself too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear your situation, Lil, and your OH's :( Bringing coal and ash up and down steps is no joke :( It made me think of shopping trolleys/wheelie luggage - do you have a shopping trolley? They're about £15. Or even taking the shopping bag off the frame, and putting on a bag for life, securing it by the handles. But yes, offspring will definitely have to step up. And like you, I'd be lost without a supermarket delivery.

As for the transport, is there a community bus? All the best, and keep us in touch with what's happening for you both.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Sorry to hear it Lil, I hope things all go well. As you say, time for the kids to step up but if they're not cutting it, it might be time to think about moving into town. At the risky of being gloomy, this is an insight into the future for you both, you reach an age where everything that you took for granted gets harder. I've moved my mum in because she's at that point, and even if she wasn't, its in the post so best done in a controlled manner under both her's and our control rather than having it forced on us and being a rush to sort things.

Good luck to you both.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Youngest son came and has filled about a dozen carrier bags with coal and left them at the back step. Yaaay! :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Andy would that hoover be ok with red hot ash though? Because our fire is on 24/7 for most of the year, it doesn't go out unless its a heatwave or the sweep is coming.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think you can safely say that red hot ashes won't do that vacuum any good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:52 pm I think you can safely say that red hot ashes won't do that vacuum any good.
Yes it does say cold ashes...

Other option is a second ash pan swap over allow to cool then Clean out

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Added another 25 sandbags (just the sacks) and a cheap pair of chest waders to the prepping pile

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Been having a clear out of redundant prep-gear.
Got a few paraffin lamps (not compatible with our health problems) and the Norfolk lidded-bucket mountain to rehome.

Also going to flog the pushbike as I haven't ridden it for over a year. I have to wheel it the length of the garden, then carry it through the house to use it. Its easier to walk anywhere less then two miles.

Lil: Regarding your ash problem, would this help?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephant-Small ... 30&sr=8-11

And something like this ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vielle-KAM0063 ... 828&sr=8-5
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar