What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

We could definitely do with rain.However,that wont stop me planting maincrop spuds today.Cannot remember the variety,but recommended by my farmer friend,as they are drought tolerant to a degree. Traditionally my late dad planted runner beans on St.Georges Day,so that will get done over the next day or two.As it is just the Duchess and me now,I have revised my cropping plan.Therefore,I shall put in just six each runners ( Lady Di), and climbing French,( Blue Lake).

I shall also sow marrows and Winter squash,as they are favourite items,and they should be about right for planting early June,as the chance of frost is high.Tomatoes look good,as do the chillies and gherkins ( we pickle loads of them!),The year is really batting on.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I'll be planting today too, a mulberry tree, damson tree, strawberries, sweet peppers ( a bit late but I forgot them ), perennial spinach. A quick trip to a newly opened local Screwfix for some electrical bits, and finish connecting the 16mm armoured cable to the newest static caravan.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Catweazle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am I'll be planting today too, a mulberry tree, damson tree, strawberries, sweet peppers ( a bit late but I forgot them ), perennial spinach. A quick trip to a newly opened local Screwfix for some electrical bits, and finish connecting the 16mm armoured cable to the newest static caravan.
A Mulberry Tree, lovely, really nice fruit. Are you young enough now to sit in its shade in many years time? (They are not fast growing :lol: )
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We cut the first asparagus shoots today with plenty more rearing their heads. :D

Vines and raspberry canes all showing really good leaf and the strawberry plants are flowering already.

On the other side of the coin, we emptied the fourth of our eleven water butts. :(

Hope the rain tonight comes to more than a quick shower.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:07 pm A Mulberry Tree, lovely, really nice fruit. Are you young enough now to sit in its shade in many years time? (They are not fast growing :lol: )

I doubt I'll last long enough, but most of what we're doing is for kids / grandkids. I'm happy with that.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Today I potted up some more toms and peppers, and pinched out suckers in the larger plants. Some toms are already flowering - seems a bit early.

Spent a while looking for a fox that has nabbed three of my ducks, but no sign of it since I trimmed my mongrel and scattered the clippings all around the duck house. I hope it stays away, I don't like shooting foxes, better to have a local fox that doesn't cause problems than shoot it and let a newcomer in, but this latest one is probably a vixen with cubs ( desperate and will take chances ). Last time this happened I had to shoot three. Made worse because it's brooding duck time, when females decide to hide in bushes on eggs instead of going back to the duck house at night.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

For a newbie my fruits and veggies are coming along amazingly well. The plastic greenhouse we bought has been brilliant and the raised bed is even more brilliant. We have spent a fortune on compost and containers this year, but for anyone who has access to a plumber F & E tanks make brilliant planters, I think we are up to about 14 of these now. Definitely need to start composting though. Strawberries, raspberries and blackcurrants are all in flower and we have harvested the first few sticks of rhubarb. The eater and Bramley apple trees are filled with flowers but sadly it looks like we will only have about 2 plums. One of our strawberry planters didn't seem to be doing great and we found it full of vine weevil maggots so had to throw the lot sadly. Planted lots of wildflower seeds to help the bees, bats and other insects and have also planted several different healing plants. My Granny swore by Comfrey for strains and sprains. Food stores are at an all time high, so much so that I have needed to reduce the monthly shop by £40 this month and likely the same next month. Resitting my EFAW training this week and will then see if I can wangle something more advanced through work. Still looking for our new home, but haven't been able to find anything yet which quite ticks all of the boxes. Also had to remove two wasp nests from the wood shed already, there appear to be a huge amount of queen wasps around already.
Growing old disgracefully!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Medusa, how did your granny use comfrey for sprains and bruises?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Picked up another gas lantern tonight £8 in Lidl

Must say the mantles supplied are crap very corse and slack fitting so put a camping Gaz mantle on much better whiter light
large-610104-lidl-camping-light.jpg
So that's camping Gaz / screw thread and piercing type on the shelf depending on gas cartridge availability I'm covered
IMG_20190430_200400436_HDR.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:23 pm Medusa, how did your granny use comfrey for sprains and bruises?
Hi Diamond Lil, Granny used to dry the leaves which she kept in a kilner jar in the pantry. She would steep a few leaves in some hot water until it had cooled down enough to put the affected area in. I also remember her squeezing the liquid out of the leaves and then using them as a poultice, keeping them in place with a bandage. She used to call it Nip Bone, although I think the term is actually Knit Bone. Comfrey is apparently not safe to take internally and can cause liver damage
Growing old disgracefully!