What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

Youngest and her chap are buying their first house,and it has a tidy little pantry,so I shall build them some freestanding shelves.I keep loads of timber in,and it's an excuse for an afternoon in the workshop! Also going to be making up a powercut kit too.I have loads of stuff like LED lamps,torches and such lying about.All will fit nicely into a lidded bucket from work.

Tuesday morning I shall sweep the big chimney,as the other night a rather hefty sootfall hit the register plate!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Bought a bulk amount of chicken breasts to freeze and several waxed cheeses from a company we discovered at an agricultural show last year to put into storage. Sowed some more beans and some leeks and planted some blackcurrant bushes and a dwarf bramley apple tree. Ordered a load of individually wrapped antibacterial hand wipes which I prefer to the hand sanitizer. Did an inventory of the preps I currently hold to see where the gaps are and having discovered an interest in old fashioned cookery books specifically WW2 ration cookery books I have ordered a couple of used ones online. Bought lined and filled a big raised bed ready for planting the seedlings. Bought another batch of water purification tablets until I can justify investing in a Big Berkey.
Growing old disgracefully!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Stocked up on cat kibble and litter as I use Zooplus and think that's a German company.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm Stocked up on cat kibble and litter as I use Zooplus and think that's a German company.
It is Lil, we've (well Her Maj) shopped around and actually found a UK seller who does our dug food cheaper, still to find the coo's lugs and bull's dicks that they have for their lunch cheaper or even close to what Zooplus charge. The search continues.....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just been and battened down the hatches tis a tad bit breezy out lights have gone out twice (don't get dimming lights with led lamps unlike older tungsten bulbs )

Meh as long as the roof stays on all is good ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Other half wondered where half the fruit had disappeared to: We usually chuck half of it out anyway, because we are not big fruit eaters.
Then I was caught sneaking a sliced up apple to the garden shed.

Lol. Banged to rights I had to fess up to buying a food dryer 'to save on waste and to prepare snacks for the gym'

Little by little, my weird shopping and stashing traits are being normalised. I have dropped hints about my concerns that there will be price rises and some empty shelves after Brexit. So, having 2 dozen tins of tomatoes and a few jars of Kenco in the garage cupboard is now accepted.

Let's not mention the other 3/4 tonne of Armageddon preps. :tinfoil :tinfoil :lol: :o

Afterthought...
Ah! Might have got too carried away. I just slammed a tray of garlic in there.... alongside several trays of fruit. Hope it doesn't flavour the fruit
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Arranged a few emergency wind related repairs at Mums place today (fallen TV Ariel and broken gate) and then home for more canning. Picked up another 48 (500ml) mason jars from the bargain store, brilliant value at 54 pence each. You can't buy the replacement lid seals on their own for much less. 8-)
More Canning.jpg
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Well this week has been obsessive dehydrating. It's literally run 24/7 this week*. Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Leeks, Onions, Garlic, Tomatoes. And separately, some Apples, Bananas, Oranges and Pears.**

Yesterday I introduced a new weekly evening meal: Couscous with assorted dried veg ( Briefly rehydrated ) + stock cube. It was awesome and will be a regular go-to meal. I might pop some tuna with it next time.

* It's running in the garden shed, so I've literally got a 'shed load' of dried food
** The dried oranges were just like Opal Fruits 'Made to make your mouth water'. But I could not get them or the bananas bone dry... So I just had to eat the lot.

For those too young to understand
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

The oranges sound interesting, I take it you got a bit of inspiration from youtube ??? Never considered them, thanks for the pointer.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:37 pm The oranges sound interesting, I take it you got a bit of inspiration from youtube ??? Never considered them, thanks for the pointer.
Yes. I basically just raided the fruit bowl.
For the bananas, apples and pears, i rinsed in lemon juice (Taste did not interfere) For the Oranges (2 large ones ) I sliced horizontally, about 6mm thick and trimmed the peel off. After about 24 hours they still had some sticky moisture, so I figured not ideal to store for long.... So I ate them :) Tasted pretty strong and really mouth watering, more so than the other fruits.

Jeez. Dried garlic flakes pack a punch. Drying garlic with the fruit didn't seem to taint it. Shed is not TOO stinky.

The warmth generated seems ideal for seed propagation.

Other half now totally OK about the dehydrator in the shed as long as I don't serve up dried spider or mouse. It's just laughed off as another of my loonie quirks.

Used an egg slicer to rapidly chop Mushrooms. Other than that, I spent a few hours chopping. Trying a few shapes and sizes for optimal effectiveness.
Picked up half a dozen chip roasting meshes from B&M which have a far more useful grid size than my standard dryer trays.

Typically over half the fresh fruit and veg that enters the house used to get wasted. Now it will be zero PLUS I'm buying a lot cheaper in bulk or close to BBE.Image