What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
nightowl

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by nightowl »

Cleared a cupboard of junk and started filling it with food. Didn't buy a massive amount all in one go but will buy a few extra tins etc with each shop. So far I've stored:

1 large bag of pasta, 1 large bag of rice, 4 packets of pasta in sauce, 4 packets of instant noodles, 3 tins of tomatoes, 3 tins of baked beans, 3 tins of tuna, 3 tins of sweetcorn, 3 tins of chickpeas, 2 packets of crackers, 2 boxes of teabags.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 pm I scouted out the volunteer-run shop of my local horticultural society this morning - a big shed on a friendly farm. Amazing! They buy big bags of stuff - 25kg - and punters like me can either buy the bags or buy smaller quantities - they act as wholesalers and split it up into smaller quantities. I bought some super potash, and mycorrihzal (sp! :shock: :lol: ) fungi. The roots of my new fruit bushes, to be planted March/ April, will love me :)

Oh, and I met some of the same people again, as well as newer peeps. All good.
Our new allotment bulk buys a lot of stuff and sells it on at cost or for not much more, its a great idea. We're getting tatties tomorrow I think.
nightowl wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 pm Cleared a cupboard of junk and started filling it with food. Didn't buy a massive amount all in one go but will buy a few extra tins etc with each shop. So far I've stored:

1 large bag of pasta, 1 large bag of rice, 4 packets of pasta in sauce, 4 packets of instant noodles, 3 tins of tomatoes, 3 tins of baked beans, 3 tins of tuna, 3 tins of sweetcorn, 3 tins of chickpeas, 2 packets of crackers, 2 boxes of teabags.
We all start somewhere, good for you, keep stashing, if its stuff you use and will keep then what's the harm. Its not like its going to go off any time soon. You got water to go with it ???
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

I'm only buying stuff that I normally use. Financially, I could obviously fill up a cupboard at the drop of a hat with packets of Happy Shopper style cheap and nasty pasta in sauce etc that I would never normally touch with a bargepole but don't see the point as eventually you're going to need to eat the stuff as it gets to it's best before date.

I haven't bought any water yet. I know I should but I never normally bother with bottled water at home, only when I'm out and about. Will probably buy a few bottles though. What's the best place to store it? Just a normal sideboard cupboard?
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We went on our first aid refresher course today and got us booked onto a canine first aid course for March.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

nightowl wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 pm I'm only buying stuff that I normally use. Financially, I could obviously fill up a cupboard at the drop of a hat with packets of Happy Shopper style cheap and nasty pasta in sauce etc that I would never normally touch with a bargepole but don't see the point as eventually you're going to need to eat the stuff as it gets to it's best before date.

I haven't bought any water yet. I know I should but I never normally bother with bottled water at home, only when I'm out and about. Will probably buy a few bottles though. What's the best place to store it? Just a normal sideboard cupboard?
Water is water really, I've got stuff that I've stuck away for well over a year and in the past I've drunk water that I've stuck away for 3 or 4 years and its been fine. Preferably anywhere cool and dark works well, especially if its in plastic. I've no idea of your circumstances but you can go without food a lot longer than you can without water and its a cheap resource to store, even if you're just filling old water/pop bottles, its quite a bulky store though so whatever works for you.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

I'll probably buy pre-bottled stuff from the supermarket as there's less chance of contamination compared to filling old bottles at home. You can buy the supermarket own brand stuff for pennies anyway.
jansman

Post by jansman »

nightowl wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:42 pm I'll probably buy pre-bottled stuff from the supermarket as there's less chance of contamination compared to filling old bottles at home. You can buy the supermarket own brand stuff for pennies anyway.
Funnily enough,one of my preps this week is to refill my 6x 25 litre barrels with water,( the old stuff will tip into the water butts in the polytunnel),and to fill a load of pop bottles too.My youngest and her bloke drink Coke like Billy- O,so save the bottles.I make a lot of beer,and heathen that I am,I store it in 2 litre pop bottles.I always have a battery of them,washed and filled with clean ,bleached water.Just a few drops of thin,unscented stuff.Empty them,don't even rinse and fill with clean water,store at back of pantry.Zero cost.

Also this week,as I am off,I shall start sorting the greenhouses,ready for sowing.Still a bit early yet as I am too mean to use heat!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

More work up the allotment this morning before an afternoon of watching football with a beer.

I'm another one who should probably change the water in my 25L containers, it over a year old, maybe 18 months since I did it, tomorrows task.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

nightowl wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:42 pm I'll probably buy pre-bottled stuff from the supermarket as there's less chance of contamination compared to filling old bottles at home. You can buy the supermarket own brand stuff for pennies anyway.
Definitely do this, at the very least - one of the most common "shtf" situations is a burst water main. After that, have a think - purification tabs (even Millets do them) maybe a filter, maybe a water butt if you've got a garden (my water butts are lying on their sides, open to the elements :oops: :oops: :oops: the tap fittings kept leaking, and I never got round to sealing them with the ptfe tape I bought. Many a slip ....).

Anyway. Sorting preps. Food storage in my kitchen will double when I get it done, but thats not finished till the beginning of May. But my dried goods are up to scratch now, and I've increased them. More tins needed, and more ... well, everything except dried goods, actually :D
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

My wife was quite surprised today when she didn't have any pasta and I magically produced some from a cupboard outside the kitchen :D