What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm
Post wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 pm Been to home bargains and bought tins of peas, carrots, potatoes, smash and sweet corn.

I’ve also had my delivery or heirloom seeds to start soon.

Watch the date on home bargains stuff... Also I've not found them that cheap for some stuff
Their prices are going a bit more mainstream, but they seem to mix in some quirky special purchases. Broth mix is super cheap at about 69p for 500g. Their various microwave 'dall' curries' (eg. Punjabi Chickpea) in sachets are awesome, either eaten as they come or with a bit of cooked chicken lobbed in. They also have some weird Dutch breakfast items vac packed in flat boxes about 8 inch square by 1/2 inch deep. Something like a bacon, potato and egg rosti. Odd, but flavoursome, good value, filling and long shelf life.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 pm
Their prices are going a bit more mainstream, but they seem to mix in some quirky special purchases. Broth mix is super cheap at about 69p for 500g. Their various microwave 'dall' curries' (eg. Punjabi Chickpea) in sachets are awesome, either eaten as they come or with a bit of cooked chicken lobbed in. They also have some weird Dutch breakfast items vac packed in flat boxes about 8 inch square by 1/2 inch deep. Something like a bacon, potato and egg rosti. Odd, but flavoursome, good value, filling and long shelf life.
I'm quite fond of these, shallow fry them and throw some beans in (and chilli if that's your bag). Braw.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I get Sainsbugs home delivery ever week, and the last 2 weeks the prices have gone through the roof. So next week I'm trying Asda, got a big order coming (hopefully if in stock) of tins, tea, coffee, cocoa, cheese, butter and cooking oil.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:37 pm I get Sainsbugs home delivery ever week, and the last 2 weeks the prices have gone through the roof. So next week I'm trying Asda, got a big order coming (hopefully if in stock) of tins, tea, coffee, cocoa, cheese, butter and cooking oil.
Noticed a lot of stuff in Asda has gone up too Lil,

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:37 pm I get Sainsbugs home delivery ever week, and the last 2 weeks the prices have gone through the roof. So next week I'm trying Asda, got a big order coming (hopefully if in stock) of tins, tea, coffee, cocoa, cheese, butter and cooking oil.
I went into my Sainsbury local today. TP has gone up from £3.50 to £3.85, almost overnight it would appear.

I dod an OCADO shop last week and used a £20.00 voucher off a £60.00 shop. Also, because I only bought from the Deals section saved over 60 quid there too.

Now's the time to take advantage of any deals/offers/discounts, even if you have to set up a new account with a different email, as we may see these disappearing too, post Brexit, at least in the short-to-medium term.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Fitness and wellness is ranking much higher on my list of prepping priorities these days.

Last year I manged to loose just over a stone (16st 2lb down to 15st with a combination of portion control and really, REALLY, basic exercise routine. I am telling myself that getting the next chunk of weight off is going to be easier than the first, but in realty it is hard to keep the enthusiasm going, so this year I have decided to up my game from "regular with a few days off here and there" to "Everyday without fail" Any exercises involving high impact are non starters for me, so my (now daily) routine comprises of;

500 arm curls, 250 each arm, using 2.3kg / 5lb dumbbells - 50 x 5 repetitions (Up 50% from 2018)
"Plank" using the chair as support - 10 repetitions each 60 seconds. (Up 100% from 2018)
After breakfast :D I walk the dog about a mile.
I repeat the dumbbell exercises later in the afternoon and again in the evening. (Up 100% from 2018)
Sundays the dog walk increases to approx 3 miles at reasonable pace.
Make sure I spend at least part of the day working outside in the garden or include something extra into my indoor routine, such as squats, stretches, and don't sit at the desk for more that an hour at a time.

AND
1) Have cut down the portion sizes at meal time by about 10%
2) No sneeking a snack during the day. :oops:
3) No eating after 8pm whatsoever :oops:

Short term target is 14st by Xmas 2019.
Longer term target is to feel better and healthier.

Some preps are harder that others.......... :(
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:43 pm Fitness and wellness is ranking much higher on my list of prepping priorities these days.

Last year I manged to loose just over a stone (16st 2lb down to 15st with a combination of portion control and really, REALLY, basic exercise routine. I am telling myself that getting the next chunk of weight off is going to be easier than the first, but in realty it is hard to keep the enthusiasm going, so this year I have decided to up my game from "regular with a few days off here and there" to "Everyday without fail" Any exercises involving high impact are non starters for me, so my (now daily) routine comprises of;

500 arm curls, 250 each arm, using 2.3kg / 5lb dumbbells - 50 x 5 repetitions (Up 50% from 2018)
"Plank" using the chair as support - 10 repetitions each 60 seconds. (Up 100% from 2018)
After breakfast :D I walk the dog about a mile.
I repeat the dumbbell exercises later in the afternoon and again in the evening. (Up 100% from 2018)
Sundays the dog walk increases to approx 3 miles at reasonable pace.
Make sure I spend at least part of the day working outside in the garden or include something extra into my indoor routine, such as squats, stretches, and don't sit at the desk for more that an hour at a time.

AND
1) Have cut down the portion sizes at meal time by about 10%
2) No sneeking a snack during the day. :oops:
3) No eating after 8pm whatsoever :oops:

Short term target is 14st by Xmas 2019.
Longer term target is to feel better and healthier.

Some preps are harder that others.......... :(
Well done mate, you have more willpower than me. I do need to get back to my weights, I've had to lay off because of an old injury playing up but it's settled down now so no more excuses.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You just wish you could get the highups from Sainsbugs/Asda etc lined up on tv and let people grill them as to why things have gone up already :evil:
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm You just wish you could get the highups from Sainsbugs/Asda etc lined up on tv and let people grill them as to why things have gone up already :evil:
I wonder how much is profiteering due to the Brexit preppers increasing demand or hoping to cover their losses from Brexit delays so putting up prices now or a slow increase to post Brexit prices to lessen the shock increase and cause a public out cry.
If they are stocking more in warehouses it's costing them more to store it so have to pass on the cost us. Even if it's just trying up their cash flow or bank loan interest.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've noticed over the years that the lower price stuff goes up by a much higher percentage than the dearer ranges :( I don't think the increases are associated with the products they belong to - I think that part of it is arbitrary.

Lil, somebody told me that Asda were the second-cheapest online supermarket, a Which report I think, the very cheapest was Morrisons, and it was a very marginal thing between them.

I think I've said it to you, but I still use Sainsbugs right now, enough so that I can activate the vouchers they keep sending me: £9 - £12 off a £60 shop, around 15%. And my credit card gives me Nectar points :)

Other prepping: more brambles have died in my garden today :mrgreen: and I've protected the exposed soil (by my blackcurrant bush) with layers of topsoil and mulch.
Last edited by Arzosah on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.