What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jennyjj01 »

hedgerowpete wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 pm i spent the weekend getting the tools and kit together to dig up andreplensh some 20litre barrel cashes i have burried last year ish.

the first barrel wants to be dug up and a new barrel dropped in on monday night.
back to the digs and a complete clean out check and re-gas and reseal before swapping out on tuesday night with the next barrel, at it all week four barrel
Interesting. I guess you mean 'barrel cache'? So do you store your stockpile (of food? ) in outdoor buried containers? What sorts of items? What sort of containers? and why do you revisit and replenish them? Rotation? What do you see as the pros and cons of this? Bugging out? Lack of space at home? urban or rural environment?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 pm
Oh god Deepsy - tuna noooo :shock: :evil: :( but def agree re Costco not being cheaper, just handier for a bulk buy and then you can forget about whatever it is for a few months. I like their meat though, and I got 12 packs of bacon today.
[/quote]

Ah ken you're a mince and tatties girl, whatever works for you, I got a massive pack of bacon from Costco and broke it down into individual portions and freeze them. I don't eat it that often so it will last me for months, assuming the filthy Euro types don't get electricity in the divorce settlement. ;)
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Still drip feeding the stocks few more packets of instant mash, pasta, rice and paraffin, more baby wipes and the next size up in nappies. The wife decided that just in case we should get some reusable nappies I'm still worried I'll drop the wain let alone stab him with one of those huge safety pins hence more disposable nappies lol.

The wife is doing a stock take to see where we are short and over stocked on things over the next few days. So it means sneaking a few extra tins or packets in may be hard
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I think this counts for this thread?

I got off the phone to my sister in law tonight and during our chat she said......

"Oh yeah and why has Lizzy (my niece) got a cardboard box and shopping bag full of tins and packets stashed under her stairs, what bloody ideas have you been putting in her head"

To think our 24 year old niece has listened and started prepping, I feel so proud. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm I think this counts for this thread?

I got off the phone to my sister in law tonight and during our chat she said......

"Oh yeah and why has Lizzy (my niece) got a cardboard box and shopping bag full of tins and packets stashed under her stairs, what bloody ideas have you been putting in her head"

To think our 24 year old niece has listened and started prepping, I feel so proud. :lol:

Bet the sister in law will be round to "borrow" some food should there be a problem :/

See if her kick boards come off in the kitchen ;) get her to slowly move the stuff there.... Once sister in law has seen the pile deminish she will probably think she has nothing ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 pm Interesting. I guess you mean 'barrel cache'? So do you store your stockpile (of food? ) in outdoor buried containers? What sorts of items? What sort of containers? and why do you revisit and replenish them? Rotation? What do you see as the pros and cons of this? Bugging out? Lack of space at home? urban or rural environment?
Hi Jenny , try these ideas out. If you want to discuss other ideas I can explain better. I find the lack of sticky posts on this forums makes finding information hard.

I have four styles of cashes, almost all are buckets or screw top barrels, never any larger than 20 litres. If the barrel or bucket is 400mm tall and you want it 300mm deep its almost a metre deep hole you have to dig out.

So barrels
“Firsts “ these barrels are the first point of contact. Say work burns down and you have no car and are six miles walk to home. I will want a coat, some munchies or foods, loo roll and imodium tablets, paracetamol and or neurofen tablets, a hat would be nice, a poncho ( I am a poncho guy) I like wet food in this tub, so a Mars bar or two, midget jems or skittles. A ciggy lighter and some Vaseline/cotton wool straws. A snap off knife, map or compass, life boat matches, Leather gloves and tins of food, I like tinned tuna or ring pull cans, the idea is to use the can afterwards as a saucepan or brew mug, a few tea bags or coffee. So with it I can sit and wait until the fire is out and I get my car back or I walk home with a pocket full of nibbles. This can has a life span of four months, they are easy to find and reasonably shallow to dig out, I will normally have a section of 50mm by 50mm angle iron near by to act as a shovel.

After firsts I have “ restocks”
the idea of a restock is a larger more in-depth resupply, say I work 50 miles from home, its a four day walk and I want each day, food and kit and the like. This barrel would have a trap as shelter, a bigger better fire kit, a decent knife, dry socks and underwear, wet wipes for a downstairs wash up, loo roll, reading book, maps, snap lights or a head torch, spare coat, old walking boots, change of trousers, mess tin or dried food goods, ruck sac to carry kit in, bottled water, alc hand wash,, wet wipes or hand sanitiser, I favour face book just after everyone has done their duke of Edinburgh awards and mum sells all their kit off. The idea is to have a large meal, a good nights dry sleep, a full belly in the morning and dry socks to walk in and to not get a UTI from a smelly or unclean downstairs, these are normally restocked every 12 months to 18 months, I have a habit of doing a lot of these as I change job areas and routes often, I either dig up and move or sell off to locals to use, photographic records help with that

Third barrels are" QMS"
quarter master stores are a single or dual loaded barrel, say It would have 20kg of mixed rice and pasta in 500gm bags, clothes, camping kit, socks!tinned foods, varnish the tins first to make them better able to prevent corrosion. The general idea a bulk load of one items, you can go and dig up and restock the house or the bug out location. These are normally well sealed and buried deep and require a decent shovel to obtain them. These have a life span of one to three years before checking

forth and final are “specials”
these range from a SD card hidden in a brick wall or a 200 litre barrel buried in an embankment siding

I have on average 20 units the size of a jam jar or a lot smaller to 4 fifty gallon,220l plastic barrels with screw top lids buried into an embankment, you can stash a SD card filled with naughty pdf files, locations or satanv points of other kit, a jam jar with ten one pound coins in it some change for food on the way home and the like

I used to keep a jam jar buried in a flower bed outside a site I worked at in the centre of Milton Keynes outside the DWP offices, if I ever got stuck I could dig it out with my hands, grab the contents and scarper, I still have a few in Birmingham town centre now.

Hope that helps with some ideas, I have loads of information like this, if you want me to be specific I can if you want to look at a set piece or location remembrance is another weak spot for many people
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hedgerowpete wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:20 pm. I find the lack of sticky posts on this forums makes finding information hard.

If we stickied every you'd be scrolling down 20+ posts to find any new content...

Where do we draw the line

A sticky for

Water

Food

Shelter

Cooking

Heating

Clothing

Torches

Batteries

Shoes

Bags

Et All ?

The forum Search does work rather well ;)

That and the sublinks usually get you in the right sort of area :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

hedgerowpete wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:20 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 pm Interesting. I guess you mean 'barrel cache'? So do you store your stockpile (of food? ) in outdoor buried containers? What sorts of items? What sort of containers? and why do you revisit and replenish them? Rotation? What do you see as the pros and cons of this? Bugging out? Lack of space at home? urban or rural environment?
Hi Jenny , try these ideas out. If you want to discuss other ideas I can explain better. I find the lack of sticky posts on this forums makes finding information hard.

So barrels
“Firsts “ these barrels are the first point of contact...
After firsts I have “ restocks”
the idea of a restock is a larger more in-depth resupply...
Third barrels are" QMS"
quarter master stores...
forth and final are “specials”...

I have on average 20 units the size of a jam jar or a lot smaller to 4 fifty gallon,220l plastic barrels with screw top lids buried into an embankment,

Hope that helps with some ideas, I have loads of information like this, if you want me to be specific I can if you want to look at a set piece or location remembrance is another weak spot for many people
OMG. I tip my hat to you. You are a hardcore prepper. I'm going to have to go off and read your posts.
Quick general question? How do you select safe places for these caches? Presumably buried secretly and without permission in obscure locations? Have you ever got in grief for that?
What I was thinking would be a good container would be a capped length (maybe 2m) of 6 inch diameter ducting. Buried horizontally, in soft soil in parallel with country roads. If detected, it might still be ignored as just another drain. That's still a bit hardcore bug out for me.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
drprepper

Post by drprepper »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm serious side question: Does dehydrating celery work? My spag bol is nothing without celery, but that's like 99% water?
Celery works. It does indeed take longer but I did long strips as I was feeling lazy and didn't want it falling through the gaps in my dehydration trays. If you like celery, the tiny sticks actually make a plausible bar snack that I reckon you could even season and sell! In its concentrated form, it is also a good demonstration of why celery does add something to dishes even though it's apparently watery.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

drprepper wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm serious side question: Does dehydrating celery work? My spag bol is nothing without celery, but that's like 99% water?
Celery works. It does indeed take longer but I did long strips as I was feeling lazy and didn't want it falling through the gaps in my dehydration trays. If you like celery, the tiny sticks actually make a plausible bar snack that I reckon you could even season and sell! In its concentrated form, it is also a good demonstration of why celery does add something to dishes even though it's apparently watery.
Cut baking parchment to size to line your tray, even if I'm doing bigger stuff I'll usually do 2 trays with it so any smaller bits don't drop all the way through and you can swap over the bottom tray for a more even dry.