What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by grenfell »

So reading that then I'm probably ok as long as I leave the petrol in the van , that doesn't count as storage , more as carrrriage and I don't carry 240 litres. The bit that was confusing me was the term premises covering vehicles.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't be too persnickety as to how much petrol/diesel you can store. The vital thing is to inform firemen that you have some stored. After it blows then they canny exactly measure it can they? And you can always dig a hole in the garden and bury cans in there, I know somebody who did that.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Oh I'm not going to worry about it if I've got a gallon or two more than I should just trying to clarify exactly what the law allows.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Added a couple more cartons of long life milk and more rice, pasta and some gravey powder. Did notice when putting this away we need more instant mash so a Tesco run is called for.

I generally feel I'm organised for most things but this morning caught me out. My shoe lace snapped and this is something I don't have any spares not a huge issue trip to morrisons and bought a new pair. Now in a shtf no spare laces could be a problem so now ordering a couple of spares for various shoes
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I seem to have a problem with boot laces in that they don't seem to have a long lifespan. They always seem to separate the inner core frrom the outer . I brought a fair few metres of paracord , cut to length , melted the ends and so far so good.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Not a prep as such although past prepping prepared me this morning for one of the worst conditions in 20+ years if driving in terms of a 5 mile stretch of road which was absolute carnage in terms of black ice.. car about 10 ahead burried it in the crash barrier.. (in total I passed 6 other cars in ditches and one has smacked a tree and was missing it's boot ambulance in attendance) decent stopping distance saved me and probably the 2 cars behind me as I had to balance braking to stop and avoiding being rear ended...

Got past the bump (no injuries)

Making a right turn (by now the one that was up my arse had dropped well back ) went to turn and the car didn't want to go round years ago I went on a skid pan......... Understeer controlled and away I went

No time to think about what to do when your sliding

I've been on a 4x4 driving course along with a rally car driving day and a skid pan lesson that and taking away knowledge and being used to the many modern cars specific systems (abs ) esp and on mine active understeer control which monitors the direction of travel Vs the steering wheel input and this morning effectively handbrake turned me into the turn. It is the first time I've had it cut in on the road
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:48 pm I seem to have a problem with boot laces in that they don't seem to have a long lifespan. They always seem to separate the inner core frrom the outer . I brought a fair few metres of paracord , cut to length , melted the ends and so far so good.
Ha ha😂 I seem to experience the same problem!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Up here Andy everybody seems to drive Subarus, they must be good in ice. Them or land rovers.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:51 pm
grenfell wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:48 pm I seem to have a problem with boot laces in that they don't seem to have a long lifespan. They always seem to separate the inner core frrom the outer . I brought a fair few metres of paracord , cut to length , melted the ends and so far so good.
Ha ha😂 I seem to experience the same problem!
That's good to know , here's me thinking I was just heavy handed with laces...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:22 pm Not a prep as such although past prepping prepared me this morning for one of the worst conditions in 20+ years if driving in terms of a 5 mile stretch of road which was absolute carnage in terms of black ice..
I think seeing the benefits of past prepping is a really important element of all this; good for you for having the skills to get through it all.