What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
peejay

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by peejay »

Worth me pointing out that I have a motorbike in the garage that I haven't had the chance to take out for 2yrs, decided to get it MOT'd just before winter and it started up (and ran) first time no problems on it's 2yr old tank of petrol (which was pretty full) so it isn't quite so cut & shut perhaps.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a gallon of petrol left,of a 5 gallon can that I bought five years ago.Now I would not put it in my cars,but its just fine in the chainsaws ,which are rough arsed two stroke engines.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

gadgetguy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 am
Cptsmash wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm Whilst filling up the van, I filled 50ltrs for the store.....
That's 120ltrs of petrol for the genny, and 50ltrs of diesel.. Wouldn't mind another 25ltrs of diesel, it's £127.9 at the moment so it makes no difference.
Dried goods next week for me..
Oh, whilst I was out and about, I picked up some nice 10mm rope in B&M 30mtrs for £4.99 utter bargain. Good quality as well for general purpose.
Just so your aware of your storing more than 30l of petroleum you should have a petroleum storage licence and notify your home insurer as if your unlucky enough to have a fire your in the poo...

If it's not a business it's a "none workplace licence you should hold"

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/ ... iation.htm

Also are you using a stabilizing solution in the fuel as modern petrol station goes stale rather quickly
:tinfoil
I have just re visited this particular post.Yorkshire Andy knows his stuff where fire safety is concerned. Tinfoil hat emoji is a little bit disrespectful.Let's respect superior knowledge please.

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm I have a gallon of petrol left,of a 5 gallon can that I bought five years ago.Now I would not put it in my cars,but its just fine in the chainsaws ,which are rough arsed two stroke engines.
I've never had any problems personally but frrom what I've read petrol mixed with two stroke oil has a relatively short lifespan . One of the cans in the van is two stroke and is there in summer and winter and may be there for a while over the winter but never a problem . Getting the mix wrong seems a bigger problem. My Sthils run a difffferrent mix to some of the other stuff I have.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

I too know fire safety and also how long you can store and safely use fuel in a modern combustion engine.

As for storage of fuel it’s up too the Prepper to decide how much and where to store it. I find it laughable that a prepper site has to preach laws.

Good luck everyone.

While I do acknowledge Andy and yours,jansman life experience I was always taught respect is earned not given.

Go for the ban if you want I won’t be back. I as a prepper in today’s society have bigger things to concern my self with.

Abosute best luck and to all of you on this forum.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

gadgetguy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm I too know fire safety and also how long you can store and safely use fuel in a modern combustion engine.

As for storage of fuel it’s up too the Prepper to decide how much and where to store it. I find it laughable that a prepper site has to preach laws.

Good luck everyone.

While I do acknowledge Andy and yours,jansman life experience I was always taught respect is earned not given.

Go for the ban if you want I won’t be back. I as a prepper in today’s society have bigger things to concern my self with.

Whilst technically correct, it would be remiss of the Moderators not to point out the law of the land for new members who read the threads and posts.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

gadgetguy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm I too know fire safety and also how long you can store and safely use fuel in a modern combustion engine.

Good luck everyone.

The law is the law.So it is goodbye...and you guessed right.You are banned!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 am Worth me pointing out that I have a motorbike in the garage that I haven't had the chance to take out for 2yrs, decided to get it MOT'd just before winter and it started up (and ran) first time no problems on it's 2yr old tank of petrol (which was pretty full) so it isn't quite so cut & shut perhaps.

One of the biggest issues is that on breathered tanks that it enables moisture in to bind with the ethanol...

There is the reason all new cars. Come with plastic fuel tank / lines / injector rails(in case of petrol ) and different rubber seals (Ethanol attacks rubber) over cars of old the water causes corrosion of metal tanks and can eventually cause issues in carburetors due to the air and fuel mixing and sitting in the chamber when not in use...

I'm using srabil by Briggs and Stratton in my generator as the tank is metal .... And the cap breathes a little in storage in metal explosafe cans I don't bother....

Old tree surgeon advised me to add a drop of redex in the 2 stroke mix along with the 2 stroke oil to be honest after a few fills the bush cutter and hedge cutter tick over a bit better and run smoother (2.50 a bottle in Tesco last year and iirc 2.5ml to the litre it's cheap for the small amount that goes in ....

I've had the bush cutter start last spring only to piss petrol everywhere the return fuel line had split all now replace with silicone tubing it's worth checking kit over from time to time and having spares
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

This week,

Blagged a chest freezer and made space in the garage.
Did a Makro run. Loft now insulated by BOGOFF Cushelle :D They also had huge catering tins of tomatoes reduced to 87p (BBE dec 2018?) Muppets!. Ignored those. Did buy a load of Branstons beans there at excellent price £7.79 for 24 tins.
Revisit to Aldi. Discovered their Risotto rice at £1.49) 20p per Kg cheaper than Lidl. Topped up.
Sampled and taste tested budget tinned tomatoes from Morrisons, Tesco, Aldi and Asda ranges 28p to 29p. Rate them for quality in that order. Morrisons are by far the best quality value range, barely different to their core range. Filled my boots ( or rather the boot of my car )
Bought tomato and carrot seeds and compost and a plastic greenhouse. Planting soon, along with seeds from shop bought bell pepper..

'Sperimented with some off the wall risotto/paella type recipes. If chicken breast is available post apocalypse, I'll be OK. Might try out the crossbow on a pigeon or rabbit (only kidding... just yet)

Dehydrator has arrived. Not yet christened it. Itching to. Does anyone dehydrate from cheap frozen peas/carrots/sweetcorn etc? Or do I buy sacks of fresh carrots? Recomendations?

Have made decision to dig over about 5 sq m of my garden for veg growing. Carrots? Beets? Berries? Herbs? Garlic? Onions?

Meanwhile, stricken by massive hit to my income. Bolt from the blue struck my sideline business. Oh hum. Maybe the end of that income stream, but not teotw.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:51 pmHave made decision to dig over about 5 sq m of my garden for veg growing. Carrots? Beets? Berries? Herbs? Garlic? Onions?
I've made the decision to grow as many perennials as possible - or at least annuals that look after themselves, like garlic :)
Meanwhile, stricken by massive hit to my income. Bolt from the blue struck my sideline business. Oh hum. Maybe the end of that income stream, but not teotw.
Sorry to hear this :( Any chance you can grow it again?