How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by jansman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:59 pm

When I first got into prepping,I was looking at old civil defence documents ( cold war era).Tea was one thing the British gvt stockpiled,as it understood the positive effect on morale.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:17 pm

I like to use a tea infuser given the option.

I've tried the ball type, the spoonish ones and even had one shaped like a small teacup. However the best one I've used is a little sieve-thingee that goes inside the mug, like this one Link to ebay sale..... I recently used it for removing the bits from mulled wine, Multi-use prep-tool ;)

RE: Tea and Moral. I read somewhere (it might even been on here) that there was a Government emergency plan (Cold War going hot?) to send warships via the Suez canal to obtain tea supplies for the nation
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Tak wrote:"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
CheeseGate :D

Area 4, bordering 5

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Brilliant :mrgreen: and I especially love the multi-use angle. I bet I can rig something - its finer mesh than my ordinary tea strainer, too.

ETA - just found out that another friend is independently doing a Brexit stock up. I think there's a lot of people who wouldn't dream of calling themselves preppers that are doing it.
My blog (all mended now) www.preparednessfactandfiction.co.uk
There are some Amazon affiliate links in this blog

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 am

Can anybody remember tea chests? Everybody used them in the 50s for moving house or storing stuff. Huge square boxes in thin splintery wood, lined with silver foil :mrgreen: Wonder what tea comes in now.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:00 am

diamond lil wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 am
Can anybody remember tea chests? Everybody used them in the 50s for moving house or storing stuff. Huge square boxes in thin splintery wood, lined with silver foil :mrgreen: Wonder what tea comes in now.
I remember them! When we moved over the water from Liverpool we used them as packing crates, in the early 60s. We had enough chairs to sit on by then, and a table, but it was a long time before they left the house :)

grenfell

Post by grenfell » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:23 am

I always find it funny that loose tea is dearer than the bags. Probably down to the volumes sold I guess although the loose nearly always seems to taste better. As an aside I like to dry my bags out to allow me to rip them open so only the leaves go on the compost heap , prrobably not the end of the world but I just dislike the little bits of polyester that don't rot down. Should there be a shortage of tea there are alternatives. The best I've found so far in that it tastes a lot like "proper" tea is rosebay willow herb a very common weed. Just dry it out and use as one would tea. I've read raspberry leaves also make a good substitute but despite having them in my garden I've never yet tried them.
Funny the mention of tea chests. They seemed very common as I was growing up but thinking about it I haven't really seen one for some time now , I suppose there's better things to transport tea in nowadays.

korolev

Post by korolev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am

diamond lil wrote:
Mug. 2 sugars. Cheers. :D

grenfell wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:23 am
I always find it funny that loose tea is dearer than the bags. Probably down to the volumes sold I guess although the loose nearly always seems to taste better. As an aside I like to dry my bags out to allow me to rip them open so only the leaves go on the compost heap , prrobably not the end of the world but I just dislike the little bits of polyester that don't rot down. Should there be a shortage of tea there are alternatives. The best I've found so far in that it tastes a lot like "proper" tea is rosebay willow herb a very common weed. Just dry it out and use as one would tea. I've read raspberry leaves also make a good substitute but despite having them in my garden I've never yet tried them.
Funny the mention of tea chests. They seemed very common as I was growing up but thinking about it I haven't really seen one for some time now , I suppose there's better things to transport tea in nowadays.
Sometime in the early 1980's my mate Martin had a removal firm and I used to do a bit of work for him. Tea chests were common and Martin had a lock-up full of them. I dunno when cardboard boxes replaced them tho...

As for Brexit preps, bunged another £100 in the safe at the weekend. Also paid the mortgage off last week (not really a prep, just we inherited a little windfall and rather than do a lavish holiday, new iphones and a Benzo, we opted to make the house 100% ours.
I cannot pretend to know much about interest rates or banking (apart from the fact that they will look after themselves first) but we've insulated ourselves from any post-brexit rate rise.

Deeps

Post by Deeps » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:02 pm

korolev wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am

Sometime in the early 1980's my mate Martin had a removal firm and I used to do a bit of work for him. Tea chests were common and Martin had a lock-up full of them. I dunno when cardboard boxes replaced them tho...

As for Brexit preps, bunged another £100 in the safe at the weekend. Also paid the mortgage off last week (not really a prep, just we inherited a little windfall and rather than do a lavish holiday, new iphones and a Benzo, we opted to make the house 100% ours.
I cannot pretend to know much about interest rates or banking (apart from the fact that they will look after themselves first) but we've insulated ourselves from any post-brexit rate rise.
The best prep of all I'd say. Congrats mate.

jansman

Post by jansman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Paying the mortgage off is the best feeling in the world! Welcome to the club - you are no longer a slave. :D Well done!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:17 pm

korolev wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am
diamond lil wrote:
Mug. 2 sugars. Cheers. :D

Congratulations, korolev! And thats definitely a prep! Doesn't matter that it comes from an inherited windfall, it's what you did with it that matters.