How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Jan Smits

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Jan Smits »

A wee jaunt to Europe might be your only chance for light/heating/food/water/medicine/Christmas* after Brexit, I wouldn't dismiss the idea. :lol:

*I might have made up the Christmas bit.
Won't we all have those things stockpiled? ;)

I know for a fact Christmas will be on sale for cheaper in January, so better grab 3 or 4, just to be sure. :D
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jan Smits wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:33 pm
A wee jaunt to Europe might be your only chance for light/heating/food/water/medicine/Christmas* after Brexit, I wouldn't dismiss the idea. :lol:

*I might have made up the Christmas bit.
Won't we all have those things stockpiled? ;)

I know for a fact Christmas will be on sale for cheaper in January, so better grab 3 or 4, just to be sure. :D
Jeezo, if you don't have a couple of Christmas's hidden away in the back of the bunker then you're not a prepper in my eyes. ;)
korolev

Post by korolev »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:29 pm And medication, of course. OTC and script.
OTC is easy enough, it's prescription that I am worried about; Mrs Koroleva is on the thyroxine and our GP will only give 1 month's worth.
I'm concerned about buying from an unknown source and paying fifty nicker for a jar of smarties.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

korolev wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:44 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:29 pm And medication, of course. OTC and script.
OTC is easy enough, it's prescription that I am worried about; Mrs Koroleva is on the thyroxine and our GP will only give 1 month's worth.
I'm concerned about buying from an unknown source and paying fifty nicker for a jar of smarties.
Yes that's definitely a worry. Is there no way you could wangle an additional month?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:54 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 pm Thanks for jumping on board folks.Looks like we are getting some positive feedback.I have not done a lot today,bar sort out the fowls and cut some firewood for the week.I also sorted my water barrels out and checked my purification supplies,after reading in several places,this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 99491.html

I can't ,personally,see a full- on water ' outage',but possibly rolling rationing IF, and I mean if,chemicals are held up.Anyhow,it is a very simple prep to deal with the potential of a water issue.Stored water,millbank bag,sawyer filter(s) and purification tablets,of which we have many!
Bloody hell, if you read some of the articles the EU will be getting Christmas at our expense. :lol:
While anything is 'possible', its unlikely that one of the largest economies in the world will be reduced to ruin because of Brexit. As you say, water is one that is relatively easy to sort, especially in our wee corner of the world... in March. You should maybe explain the millbank mate, I keep one in my 'water pouch' and another in reserve but its maybe not universally known.
The millbank bag: simplest bit of kit- a canvas bag,designed to filter particulates from water.Once filtered,you boil the water or use chemicals.

https://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/out ... nk-bag.htm
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Is anybody buying dollars or euros or the like to preserve value in case the pound takes a hit? Been toying with the idea.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Here's a vid of a Millbank bag in action.

jansman

Post by jansman »

Cheers Deeps.My rainwater catchment is covered,and only needs a bit of a filter.I have,on hot days in the garden,just filled a cup from the barrel tap and drank it.Hope it doesn't come to that ,although in 1990 we were 3 days without water and electricity,and boiled snow.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:58 pm Cheers Deeps.My rainwater catchment is covered,and only needs a bit of a filter.I have,on hot days in the garden,just filled a cup from the barrel tap and drank it.Hope it doesn't come to that ,although in 1990 we were 3 days without water and electricity,and boiled snow.
I'd be using a millbank bag on my pond if it came to it. We do rainwater catchment at home and the allotment although being between allotments we've not set up at the new one yet. Even Her Maj is up for extending the rain catchment, as long as the price is right. We were massively lucky getting 2 100l ones for a fiver each and that's her benchmark unfortunately. In a fecked up 70's strikes situation, I'm hoping that the missus 'gets with the programme'. History suggests that won't be the case. :(
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:07 pm
korolev wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:44 pm
Yes that's definitely a worry. Is there no way you could wangle an additional month?
Recently i've been getting my scripts via "Pharmacy2U" so I order stuff online and it gets delivered through my door a few days later. But you cant get double. Instead if I call my local pharmacy I can order double the amount by telling them that I will be going on holiday for an extended period...wink wink ;)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"