How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm
What's your thoughts on what may shoot up in price? Everything?!
I've seen quite a few thing rocket up in price, others more slowly, not really seeing anything drop (apart from cheap imports from China, got some bargains there).
Quill wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm
Retailers will probably stick prices up for everything, even those items that aren’t affected by it directly. It’s a hell of an excuse for some price gouging.
I suspect you've got the right of it mate, its how it tends to go unfortunately :cry:

Long term, I can see things settling down but in the meantime its going to be a rollercoaster.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Retailers will probably stick prices up for everything, even those items that aren’t affected by it directly. It’s a hell of an excuse for some price gouging."

Given the supply chain uncertainty, many businesses will be trying to make as much as they can while they still have access to stock. Not saying its right, but they are "prepping" in a commercial sense.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Car Tyres.

Speaking to the guy at our tyre fitters (Kwik-Fit) yesterday, he says all of their brands, inc the far eastern brands, are imported via a central European supplier and stocks (if not prices) are already under threat.

If you need vehicle tyres might be worth getting some now.
Arwen The Bard

jansman

Post by jansman »

Looking at BBC News,Mark Carney ,Head Honcho at the Bank Of England,says that the UK could sink into recession worse than 2008. There are also figures about today that say we could be looking at up to a 10% reduction in the economy.

So,being positive,I am preparing for job loss.With Christmas looming,I will basically earn two month's money over the next month ( stupid- daft hours).That extra money will go into the emergency fund.It appears that the company I work for is not in a fiscally resilient place.I shall position myself mentally over the coming months.Prepare for the worst,and hope for the best.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

When April comes,we will see.The signs point to bad things.We would be foolish to ignore those signs.If we are wrong,then that is brilliant! Sadly,I think we are in the shit. Anyhow,no politics,its against the ' rules' :lol:

Expect the worst,but hope for the best.

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I didn't like the exploding head so much. Made me feel a bit sick. :(
Quill

Post by Quill »

jansman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 pm Looking at BBC News,Mark Carney ,Head Honcho at the Bank Of England,says that the UK could sink into recession worse than 2008. There are also figures about today that say we could be looking at up to a 10% reduction in the economy.
I'm not sure what to think about this. It's unusual to hear Carney being so apocalyptic. He's normally quite restrained. On the other hand, we heard similar warnings (although not as extreme) about the impact just voting leave would have immediately after Brexit and by and large those have come to naught.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We, including the experts, are all just best guessing and no one can accurately predict the future, we've heard and seen it all before. ;)

At the end of the day we (Brits?) are a resilient bunch and will just get on with it, lets return to this question in five years and see who was nearest the truth.

If the economic downturn hits (early in 2019 ?) there wont be much of the EU left for anyone to argue about for a few years anyway.
Arwen The Bard

jansman

Post by jansman »

Well , I hope it comes to nothing, I truly do. However, I am not ignoring the signals, so preparing will continue. The other afternoon I jet hosed the 5 barrel rainwater catchment outside my workshop, ready for today’s forecast. It’s p#ssing down nicely now!

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I heard a report yesterday saying property prices could fall by 30% in the event of a hard brexit.

Good news for my son who is saving to buy a place, bad news for me, trying to sell.