How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by jansman »

Quill wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:20 pm Is anybody buying dollars or euros or the like to preserve value in case the pound takes a hit? Been toying with the idea.
Now I have a bit more cash coming in, I am stashing as much as possible in case of unemployment tbh. There is so much uncertainty around meat/ food supplies and potential costs, that I fear ( no, suspect), That if there were job losses, I may lose mine.In an inflationary economy , unemployment follows closely. So I shall keep an eye on the local job market. Our costs are low, so any old minimum wage job would get us by.

On the subject of food shortages: I think short term it may be a possibility ( although reading the Deal we have , there is an area for movement of goods), but mid to long - term, inflation may be the problem. I find it fascinating!

Anyhow, off pike fishing now, on a stretch of river locally where I have shooting permission. So a gun will go in and I will see what I can bag. Gotta keep my eye in!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Working the weird hours that I do,I find myself going home through town at mid day, three times a week.I like to make use of the time and petrol,so today I called into B and M.They have P G Tips teabags at 70 for £1.Got five packs for the Brexit Bunker! :lol: On the way home tomorrow,I shall pick up another 25kg of coal and a can of petrol for the chainsaws.

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 pm Working the weird hours that I do,I find myself going home through town at mid day, three times a week.I like to make use of the time and petrol,so today I called into B and M.They have P G Tips teabags at 70 for £1.Got five packs for the Brexit Bunker! :lol: On the way home tomorrow,I shall pick up another 25kg of coal and a can of petrol for the chainsaws.
The Brexit Bunker! Genius. You should trademark that J.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Its a dry-lined outbuilding itsy.When the girls were little ,they picked up on mum calling it The Bunker,and it stuck.We have two freezers out there,racks on the lower level for all my homebrew,and copious shelves for tins and containers.Above head height we have stuff like matches,lighters and candles,camping stoves and gas and battery lanterns.There is a hotel bag,torches ,batteries,FM radio and two way radio.Water filters,folding water containers,large first aid kit in one of my old cantilever fishing boxes,small tool kit and a step- up thingy to reach the shelves above.I was even able to squeeze in a little area for recharging batteries from the mains,and a solar charger too.

Then there's the walk-in pantry and workshop... :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Started a list of stuff I use that is made/contains ingredients from outside of the UK. Also, major bonus, I can get lots of good drugs OTC in the US that I can't get here, such as Naproxen and Melatonin. I'll be having a good poke around CVS and Walgreens to see what else I can pick up. :mrgreen:

I'll also be squeezing a healthy stash of yarn in my luggage as the stuff I use for my products is American and costs around 25% less there, even more if I can catch a good sale or pick up some coupons.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medical issues seem to be...an issue.Food of some sort can always be found.Specific medicine cannot.My mother has heart medication,mother in law ,Thyroid medicine.Father and BIL,Insulin.By what I read,this could be a problem.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm chomping to go for a big replenishment, I've started making a list of things that I want to add. There's not much that I really need but more is better and having the heads up I can target things that may be in shorter supply or cranked up in price. One exception is UHT milk, I think I'm down to about 4 litres of 'in date' stuff. I doubt it will be on the rationing list but I'd rather have it than not, I think my powdered stuff is probably borderline too. :oops:

Itsy, your States trip is definitely fortuitous if you're looking at meds.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:16 pm I'm chomping to go for a big replenishment, I've started making a list of things that I want to add. There's not much that I really need but more is better and having the heads up I can target things that may be in shorter supply or cranked up in price. One exception is UHT milk, I think I'm down to about 4 litres of 'in date' stuff. I doubt it will be on the rationing list but I'd rather have it than not, I think my powdered stuff is probably borderline too. :oops:

What's your thoughts on what may shoot up in price? Everything?!

I'm itching too, but space is very limited now, since my stepdad left his car in my garage when he went back to Oz for the summer. I'll get a few more totes and stash them in my under stairs cupboard, thankfully it runs the entire length of the living room. If it gets very serious I don't care wherep stuff has to go, to be honest!
Quill

Post by Quill »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm
Deeps wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:16 pm I'm chomping to go for a big replenishment, I've started making a list of things that I want to add. There's not much that I really need but more is better and having the heads up I can target things that may be in shorter supply or cranked up in price. One exception is UHT milk, I think I'm down to about 4 litres of 'in date' stuff. I doubt it will be on the rationing list but I'd rather have it than not, I think my powdered stuff is probably borderline too. :oops:

What's your thoughts on what may shoot up in price? Everything?!

I'm itching too, but space is very limited now, since my stepdad left his car in my garage when he went back to Oz for the summer. I'll get a few more totes and stash them in my under stairs cupboard, thankfully it runs the entire length of the living room. If it gets very serious I don't care wherep stuff has to go, to be honest!
Retailers will probably stick prices up for everything, even those items that aren’t affected by it directly. It’s a hell of an excuse for some price gouging.
jansman

Post by jansman »

All the more reason to stock up now!

Robert Frost.

Me.