How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:14 pm
Dunno! No bugger seems to have any clue so I'm just throwing ideas out there. :lol:
I know, while we'll have our own pet theories, we just don't know what we're going to get. My missus is a wool hoarder which I encourage, again, one of those things that ain't exactly going to go off and if you have the space, why not. She's less tolerant of my hoarding preferences but hey ho.

I don't see prepping for Brexit as any different to 'normal' prepping. The only big difference is we KNOW that Brexit is on the horizon as opposed to the numerous other things to prep for. I try and prep to keep my household running as normally as possible. While its not feasible for me to do everything, I try and find work rounds for things. Those light bulb things I posted earlier were inspired by a camping trip with Brambles so I got some for 'every day' prepping, the first ones I got were about £1.30 so they've gone up (same as a LOT of things). Whether the lights go out because of Brexit or zombies, the lights will be out so I'll need alternatives. Same with the mains gas, I'll still want to eat so I've camping stoves (many, many in my case) but I've upped the fuel I keep for them.

Food ? We'll know what we like and where it comes from. One thing to consider is even if its domestically available like tatties then if less people can afford pasta or rice then they'll want more tatties. Supply and demand could well push up the cost of stuff we wouldn't expect. Not trying to scare anyone, just something that may be a factor. The flip side being that behind the scenes, the Government is beavering away making all sorts of 'pre' trade agreements and a matter of days after Brexit, some new arrangements are announced, it would make sense if they could swing it to soften the blow and get people to vote for them (cynical.... moi ????). It could all be another Y2k, who knows.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I also hoard wool now. :mrgreen: Hoping to get more stocks in the US as Lion Brand is my yarn of choice and as it's American it's cheaper there. Especially with a coupon. :mrgreen:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 am Good idea to keep ideas in the one place.

I've ordered a couple more of these in case of brown outs (or worse).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Work well with power banks. I've also ordered a couple of AA battery ones because, you know, I'm a prepper. :tinfoil Its all very well having torches up the yin yang but for day to day living something like this will be better, especially if you can hang it from your normal light.
Tell me about these bulbs!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Pretty much as it says on the tin (or the blurb), they're old light bulb shaped and have a metre or so of cord with a USB ending so you can plug them into anything compatible. There's a wee hook at the top so you can hang them from stuff etc. the higher the better for that full 'light bulb experience'. Have a nose around there's quite a bit of USB powered lighting out there, I've also got some of these but they're not as effective for indoors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Night ... AS3GQ4KW3M

The come in different sizes too, I've got some about 2 or 3 times as long. If you can wait for the delivery from China to check things out these things are worth a wee experiment.

Here's a vid I found, looks different to the ones I linked but you get the idea.

Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

For the house it's candles at the minute, but it's near impossible to safely get downwards light with them. Those bulbs look just the thing. I have a battery version for my tent, they give 360 degree light which is great. Maybe I'll treat myself to a few more.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jan Smits wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:21 pm For the house it's candles at the minute, but it's near impossible to safely get downwards light with them. Those bulbs look just the thing. I have a battery version for my tent, they give 360 degree light which is great. Maybe I'll treat myself to a few more.
I've ordered a few of the battery ones as an alternative, not arrived yet. Things are still really cheap from China so I'm getting a lot of 'stuff' in now. Other stuff is creeping up, the cheap tins of chicken in white sauce that I used to buy for 50 odd pence are now nearly a quid. :o I guess its not just a handful of 'oddballs' that are prepping now, the 'middle classes' (hate using class descriptions but it was the tone of the articles I was reading) are getting in on the act, after a quick google there's quite a lot of 'serious' journalists advocating it with nods towards olive oil and capers etc but still having the prepping message.

I've also got a load of candles (natch) and some of the crappy almost ornamental holders for them, it does offer some protection from being knocked by animals or drunk people.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thanks for jumping on board folks.Looks like we are getting some positive feedback.I have not done a lot today,bar sort out the fowls and cut some firewood for the week.I also sorted my water barrels out and checked my purification supplies,after reading in several places,this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 99491.html

I can't ,personally,see a full- on water ' outage',but possibly rolling rationing IF, and I mean if,chemicals are held up.Anyhow,it is a very simple prep to deal with the potential of a water issue.Stored water,millbank bag,sawyer filter(s) and purification tablets,of which we have many!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 pm Thanks for jumping on board folks.Looks like we are getting some positive feedback.I have not done a lot today,bar sort out the fowls and cut some firewood for the week.I also sorted my water barrels out and checked my purification supplies,after reading in several places,this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 99491.html

I can't ,personally,see a full- on water ' outage',but possibly rolling rationing IF, and I mean if,chemicals are held up.Anyhow,it is a very simple prep to deal with the potential of a water issue.Stored water,millbank bag,sawyer filter(s) and purification tablets,of which we have many!
Bloody hell, if you read some of the articles the EU will be getting Christmas at our expense. :lol:
While anything is 'possible', its unlikely that one of the largest economies in the world will be reduced to ruin because of Brexit. As you say, water is one that is relatively easy to sort, especially in our wee corner of the world... in March. You should maybe explain the millbank mate, I keep one in my 'water pouch' and another in reserve but its maybe not universally known.
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Yeah, I jumped in without answering the actual question, but why start as I don't mean to go on?

I think for me it'll be prepping as usual, I'm reasonably insulated from Br*x!t, though. Things could get a bit bumpy for a month or two, anything more than that and I'd need to be prepping at a whole other level.

All the same, I think I'll avoid booking any continental trips until we see how things go.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jan Smits wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:07 pm Yeah, I jumped in without answering the actual question, but why start as I don't mean to go on?

I think for me it'll be prepping as usual, I'm reasonably insulated from Br*x!t, though. Things could get a bit bumpy for a month or two, anything more than that and I'd need to be prepping at a whole other level.

All the same, I think I'll avoid booking any continental trips until we see how things go.
A wee jaunt to Europe might be your only chance for light/heating/food/water/medicine/Christmas* after Brexit, I wouldn't dismiss the idea. :lol:

*I might have made up the Christmas bit.