How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by jansman »

Without getting political...the original ' Stay' campaign was dubbed 'Project Fear ' because of such concerns. Two years on,we are where we are: Government ministers telling us that we may have ' disruption '. That's warning enough for me.

I will use one of those horrible American phrases; Go figure. It seems apt.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

itsybitsy wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 pm What's SOP? :?
What deeps said :mrgreen:
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 am
Yes, but I don't know what you mean in terms of that. I'll just get some bags, if they're available. you can pay me for them when I get home via Paypal or whatever means is preferable, and I'll post 'em out. Is that okay?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Food wise, we are now at our optimum storage level. It is now a case of maintaining the level. We now need to ramp up cleaning materials, toiletries and OTC medicines. The latter will be dealt with tomorrow.

I have drawn up my garden plan for next year. There will be a lot more spuds in there. Spuds are expensive ( and crap) this year. We import a lot, so I shall force plenty in the polytunnel to cover ( some) of the seasonal scarcity, as it appears that medical supplies will take priority over fresh food.

Looking at the shambolic events in Whitehall, I feel thoroughly vindicated in my decision to ramp up stores.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Definately need to look after ourselves in this. Cos nobody else is capable. :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I agree with you both. I don't often watch the debates (I prefer to read it, its so aggravating otherwise) but this was all a bit serious. I'm sure nobody's going to starve (pretty sure!) but a lot of people might be put to a *lot* of inconvenience. Not me, and I'll pull as many of my family as I can along with me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:10 pm I agree with you both. I don't often watch the debates (I prefer to read it, its so aggravating otherwise) but this was all a bit serious. I'm sure nobody's going to starve (pretty sure!) but a lot of people might be put to a *lot* of inconvenience. Not me, and I'll pull as many of my family as I can along with me.
I think ' Inconvenience ' is a good description Arzosah. If there are no Spanish peppers or tomatoes,it will be the end of the world for many.In a couple of weeks I will see greedy and ' entitled' customers whinge( and be verbally aggressive) because the 17lb turkey they ordered is only 16lb 9 oz.Believe me ,that happens! The sheer greed appalls me too.

For me,shortages,( and in a no deal situation,I believe there will be shortages) will bring inflation.Therefore our preps will offset price rises.Indeed, our food storage will yield a better return than cash in the bank. The likely outcome is a recession for the UK,and job losses are a far worse outcome than no sun dried tomatoes.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 am
Stonecarver wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 am
Yes, but I don't know what you mean in terms of that. I'll just get some bags, if they're available. you can pay me for them when I get home via Paypal or whatever means is preferable, and I'll post 'em out. Is that okay?
That would be perfect
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you need a point of focus,then this helps:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... th-no-deal

I dont know if anyone here has linked this,but it's a pretty good overview of the general EU/UK relationship trade-wise.Its basically an impact assessment in the event of 'No Deal'.

It is rather amusing in that it constantly speaks of, "In the unlikely event of a No Deal". Well after yesterday...

I sought out that which affects my own livelihood,i.e. Farming,Livestock etc.The amount of administration that will be involved makes price hikes inevitable. Hell,insurance companies charge you £25 admin,just to add a named driver to your policy,let alone the premium! Businesses don't do anything for nothing.

So today's preps are Over The Counter Medicines,and a new tap for one of my leaking water butts.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Added a few extra bottles of wine and spirits to the emergency stores today. They are going to be used no matter what happens and are probably going to be the first off the supermarket shelves if things go pear shaped. :tinfoil
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"