How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:34 pm Jan Smits wrote:On reading those it occurred to me that the week before Br*x!t is critical - stock up then on fresh stuff that'll keep a few weeks.

*IF* the economy goes Pete Tong,then the above situation will be the flash point for civil disturbance.It would play out like the supermarket scene in Alex Scarrow's book Last Light.Not a situation I want to be in.The week before and after will be interesting.

In the meantime,we keep stocking up.It's been a kick up the arris tbh.We don't have much in the way of gaps in our preps,but if shtf tomorrow we would find them!

Tomorrow,on the way through town,I shall stock up on a few otc medicines.
Can you imagine the week before Brexit if there's no agreement.... :shock: Shit will get very real for a lot of people.

As you say, we probably ALL have gaps in our preps, its trying to find the gaps and fill them. I think the trick is looking at stuff that YOU use and just getting more of it, even if its 'common or garden' stuff, if other things aren't available then the everyday will be more in demand. Ultimately, its what we prepare for anyway, we just have a timeline and a cause for this one. Part of the reason I want to stock up on those cheap frozen chicken breasts is it might be cheaper to feed the dugs chicken and rice, normally a 'treat' if they're ill. I have rice, there are local beasties that I could 'acquire' but it might be awkward so I'll prep for as many eventualities as I can. If the stuff in the freezer goes off through lack of lecky then the local Thumper population can standby. :evil: All this is if the price of dog food spirals so who knows, I've considered it and have options. :lol:
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:34 pm*IF* the economy goes Pete Tong,then the above situation will be the flash point for civil disturbance.
Prepping as usual then :D
The week before and after will be interesting.
I think it'll be a time for lying low. Fortunately I can do that. Things will settle into something, that's why I'm thinking money will be my most important prep. That, and salad dodging.... hmm, maybe a few packs of lettuce seeds wouldn't hurt the budget.
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:01 pm So, what are the Gang's thoughts on money?
Euro in the bank if possible.
Some sterling in cash, some in the bank. I mean, it might not crash, it could surge, couldn't it :?:
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:01 pm So, what are the Gang's thoughts on money?

Cash: Sterling, US Dollars or Euros ?
Money in the bank or in the hand?
PM's, Worth the hassle or not?

This is just with a view to our Exit, not with general prepping in mind
The value of currency will fluctuate, I don't play the markets (far too much of a Jessie) so tend to look at what the cash will buy me, its always only going to be relative to the UK in that regard unless you're looking to maximise your money by playing the financial markets.

Money ? Interest rates are that low that for me its a no brainer to keep SOME money about the house. We're asset rich but cash poor so its not like the cash I keep in the house would be earning me a fortune in the bank anyway. Apart from the can with 2 pound coins in it (maybe a hundred quid ????\) I've got about 400 quid in the house in cash, it varies though and ideally would be considerably more. I use the 'house cash' through the year and it fluctuates, I get twitchy when its down to a hundred.

Personally, I've never bothered with PM's, there are plenty on here who do, I think it boils down to why and what you prep for.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I Don't think that there's a need to stock up on USD or Euros. The UK is still a very wealthy country with a strong economy compared to most of the world.
However, I think there could be short-term problems with cash supplies and as Deeps says, interest rates are so low that keeping a decent amount of cash to hand isn't going to cost much in lost interest.

One thing I will be doing is keeping both cars topped up with fuel though.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Cash: Sterling, US Dollars or Euros ?
Money in the bank or in the hand?
PM's, Worth the hassle or not?

This is just with a view to our Exit, not with general prepping in mind
There's arguments for all three.
-Sterling will be the most useful in the UK but will probably lose the most value.
-Euros have the advantage that they can be used in Europe, which is particularly relevant for people in NI who are able to cross the border and buy stuff easily on the other side (There is almost zero chance of an impermeable irish border). But they probably will also lose some value in the event of a no deal brexit.
-Dollars will be independent of the brexit fluctuations but the 90 day freeze on tariffs against the chinese will be ending around then so could well have some pain with that.

Honestly, I'm looking at the swiss franc as the best currency to preserve wealth.

I'm going to have a fair chunk of cash (couple hundred) in sterling and euros in the event of bank trouble.

I have no idea about PMs so I won't comment on those.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

korolev wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm I Don't think that there's a need to stock up on USD or Euros. The UK is still a very wealthy country with a strong economy compared to most of the world.
However, I think there could be short-term problems with cash supplies and as Deeps says, interest rates are so low that keeping a decent amount of cash to hand isn't going to cost much in lost interest.

One thing I will be doing is keeping both cars topped up with fuel though.
To keep the mutual 'love in' going, I'm with you on the strong economy thing. Its not like overnight we'll return to the dark ages, we're still a strong economy.

I've also been pushing the missus to keep the car at the 'half full' instead of waiting for the 'ping' to indicate a low level. She gets the logic but doesn't like filling up so tries to avoid it.

Yeah, she's a weirdo, but that's the tip of the weirdo iceberg. :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm not an expert in money lol never had enough of it for that - but always always for me, money in the hand.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 pm I'm not an expert in money lol never had enough of it for that - but always always for me, money in the hand.
Well said.

As always, cash is King. If you haven't got it in your possession, you haven't got it.

Look at any run on a Bank, and the queues outside. Your money made be covered but you won't get it all right away.

Remember before computers when a cheque used to clear in 3 working days? It's now 7 :tinfoil
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Quill, if you're talking about a couple of hundred pounds, I'm not sure that converting to Swiss Francs will preserve the value of your money (unless you're visiting Switzerland next year, of course). For that amount of money, the costs of the transfer will probably at least equal any preservation of value. You've got to change it back, too. Since you're in NI, and have a good chance of spending euros on a short trip across the border, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for euros.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm Quill, if you're talking about a couple of hundred pounds, I'm not sure that converting to Swiss Francs will preserve the value of your money (unless you're visiting Switzerland next year, of course). For that amount of money, the costs of the transfer will probably at least equal any preservation of value. You've got to change it back, too. Since you're in NI, and have a good chance of spending euros on a short trip across the border, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for euros.
I had meant that i had a few hundred pounds in cash! Sorry for the confusion.