How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Jan Smits

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Jan Smits »

Couple of interesting links.
On reading those it occurred to me that the week before Br*x!t is critical - stock up then on fresh stuff that'll keep a few weeks. I've kept tomatoes up to 6 weeks and they've still been good for pasta sauce.
tbh, no lettuce for a week and I probably wouldn't notice. Probably wouldn't notice for a few months. But it will matter to some folks, and they might buy up the stuff we wouldn't expect to go short, like cabbages and carrots.

Change of tack, but same subject - I've looked into opening Euro accounts, but I want free banking, has anyone found anything? Even got as far as looking at German and Dutch banks, but seemed a non-starter as I'm not a resident.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Quill

Post by Quill »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 am Couple of interesting links.Sorry its the Daily Mail!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/marke ... n-dry.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rexit.html

Looks like we are mainstream.The retailers are practicing OPSEC,but the 'Mums' are not though.
Bizarre that they're so open about it but it's interesting that the comments were broadly supportive of them.
Jan Smits wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:20 am Change of tack, but same subject - I've looked into opening Euro accounts, but I want free banking, has anyone found anything? Even got as far as looking at German and Dutch banks, but seemed a non-starter as I'm not a resident.
I've been looking into this as well and I can't find any free banking accounts in Ireland either. Must be some eurozone legislation.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jan Smits wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:20 am Change of tack, but same subject - I've looked into opening Euro accounts, but I want free banking, has anyone found anything? Even got as far as looking at German and Dutch banks, but seemed a non-starter as I'm not a resident.
Not quite free, but I have an account with britline, the online version of Credit Foncier in France, and they charge 60 cents a month. There's a linked savings account too, but for the potential hassle of tuppence hapenny (given how little I keep in the account, just enough to cover the bills) I don't bother with it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

After my rather late breakfast,I am going to link a new rain barrel to the others up at the Summerhouse,as it a big roof.Combined with the others attached to various outbuildings ,we have 500 gallons of storage...water storage done! Along with water filter and suchlike,any potential supply problems are covered.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Living on top of a Scottish moor surrounded by hills, we are never short of water here - but there's always a first time. We're going to get a new shed in the Spring and this has given me an idea for it. I just know though if I tell the husband he will fall about laughing and point to the wet field/wet hills/wet sheep all around us - but you never know, it pays to prep! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"On reading those it occurred to me that the week before Br*x!t is critical - stock up then on fresh stuff that'll keep a few weeks."

I think we all need to keep a close eye on things the closer we get to D-Day and be ready to act quickly when we each feel the time is right.

The Daily Mail articles referred to were at least more balanced than usual. They could hardly show and quote big business as being "preppers" and then show "Joe Public" as complete nutters.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Cutting back on Christmas spending this year and diverting the money into our cash pot at home.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 am Not quite free, but I have an account with britline, the online version of Credit Foncier in France, and they charge 60 cents a month. There's a linked savings account too, but for the potential hassle of tuppence hapenny (given how little I keep in the account, just enough to cover the bills) I don't bother with it.
60c a month could be a cost I'm prepared to pay - thanks for the info
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jan Smits wrote:On reading those it occurred to me that the week before Br*x!t is critical - stock up then on fresh stuff that'll keep a few weeks.

*IF* the economy goes Pete Tong,then the above situation will be the flash point for civil disturbance.It would play out like the supermarket scene in Alex Scarrow's book Last Light.Not a situation I want to be in.The week before and after will be interesting.

In the meantime,we keep stocking up.It's been a kick up the arris tbh.We don't have much in the way of gaps in our preps,but if shtf tomorrow we would find them!

Tomorrow,on the way through town,I shall stock up on a few otc medicines.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

So, what are the Gang's thoughts on money?

Cash: Sterling, US Dollars or Euros ?
Money in the bank or in the hand?
PM's, Worth the hassle or not?

This is just with a view to our Exit, not with general prepping in mind
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar