How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by itsybitsy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:05 am We, including the experts, are all just best guessing and no one can accurately predict the future, we've heard and seen it all before. ;)

At the end of the day we (Brits?) are a resilient bunch and will just get on with it, lets return to this question in five years and see who was nearest the truth.

If the economic downturn hits (early in 2019 ?) there wont be much of the EU left for anyone to argue about for a few years anyway.
I don't really think it matters a jot who was nearer the truth. As this is a prepping forum, this is what we're focussed on. Also, even if we are just 'best guessing' if this helps one person to consider an angle they hadn't previously, or gives them food for thought with their own preps than that's a good thing. It's what we're here for after all, eh?
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are just best guessing,it's true.The alarm bells are ringing though,and we have had time to listen.There is still time,and it may come to nowt...but won't we look a bunch of prawns if we ignore it and something does go wrong? This is UK Preppers!

Will it? Won't it?,The government this,the government that,it might this,it might that...its not where I wanted this thread to go.I know its an emotive topic,but we are preppers,so let's discuss it! This is potentially the biggest prepping event we could face in our lifetimes.It's not marauding zombies,EMP,New World Order or any of that off- the-radar- unlikely - to-happen stuff.

Where we are is where we are.Let's prep!

So with that in mind,today I snagged ten more food grade,lidded ,10 litre buckets from our bakery at work.What is more,they are square,so they are very stackable! In them I keep rice,pasta,cous cous,dried potato etc; all in original packaging.With a marker I write the expiry date.Done. And I am filling them,as I am really going for it.Around the corner we have the in laws to keep an eye on,and our eldest and her chap - who don't have a lot of spare cash - so we are making sure we can assist,as we are in a position to do so. If any of you want these kind of buckets,find a bakery/restaurant/cafe etc. As they are considered rubbish in most cases.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

korolev wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:19 am I heard a report yesterday saying property prices could fall by 30% in the event of a hard brexit.
I've heard this before but can't get my head round how it would happen. I can understand a slow down with banks unwilling to lend for a while until everything settles down back to "normal." But unless you needed a quick sale are you really going to drop the price of your house by a third, except where it was really over priced in the first place.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Prepping_Al wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm
korolev wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:19 am I heard a report yesterday saying property prices could fall by 30% in the event of a hard brexit.
I've heard this before but can't get my head round how it would happen. I can understand a slow down with banks unwilling to lend for a while until everything settles down back to "normal." But unless you needed a quick sale are you really going to drop the price of your house by a third, except where it was really over priced in the first place.
So nobody is listening to a word! Alright...in 1992 we had a phenomenon called NEGATIVE EQUITY.Your house was worth less than you paid for it.It has happened before,will happen again. Shit happens!

How are you prepping?

Don't question what might happen: prepare for what could happen.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Quill

Post by Quill »

The next two weeks for me are just building up an emergency fund and clearing some outstanding utility balances. After that the plan is to get my republic of ireland passport, keep some money in euros (unless there’s a total lockdown on the border which is practically impossible it’ll be possible to drive down south and get emergency supplies from there), stocking up on common medicines and having enough food etc to last two weeks without supply.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Quill wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:03 pm The next two weeks for me are just building up an emergency fund and clearing some outstanding utility balances. After that the plan is to get my republic of ireland passport, keep some money in euros (unless there’s a total lockdown on the border which is practically impossible it’ll be possible to drive down south and get emergency supplies from there), stocking up on common medicines and having enough food etc to last two weeks without supply.
Quill,that's brilliant.You have a plan.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are still straying off topic.

HOW ARE YOU PREPPING FOR BREXIT?

Last shout, or I lock it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:34 pm We are still straying off topic.

Apologies.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:24 pm I snagged ten more food grade,lidded ,10 litre buckets from our bakery at work.What is more,they are square,so they are very stackable! In them I keep rice,pasta,cous cous,dried potato etc; all in original packaging.With a marker I write the expiry date.Done. And I am filling them,as I am really going for it.Around the corner we have the in laws to keep an eye on,and our eldest and her chap - who don't have a lot of spare cash - so we are making sure we can assist,as we are in a position to do so. If any of you want these kind of buckets,find a bakery/restaurant/cafe etc. As they are considered rubbish in most cases.
I didn't know that was true, about food grade buckets being given away. I have square-bucket-envy :)

Okay, prepping for Brexit. For me, it's really part of the ongoing restocking as I use things up, plus the extra stocks I always carry over winter. Except that I'm paying extra attention to things that come from the EC - olives and olive oil, absolutely.

Electricity, of course, could be a problem - the international linkages nearly all run to EC countries, I think.

I'm not on medication, so although I'm increasing stock levels a bit of ibuprofen etc, I don't need an extra effort.

I'd let cash levels get a bit low - after I've changed current accounts (£125 reward, thank you) I'll get a bit more out. And I'd better send a bit more to France, though the stupid, stupid "investment" I made should now be self supporting, since the mortgage is paid off :(

Passport and EHIC card were both renewed this year.

If things got very bad, I'm wondering if some of the family will need to leave London and stay with rellies further out. I'm literally the last option, two or three houses are better fitted or better placed to host rellies that might need it. But I, or my spare duvets, might be needed :mrgreen:

Really, its prepping as usual but with added care for things that are sourced from the EU27.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:34 pm We are still straying off topic.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :mrgreen: