How I'm prepping

How are you preparing
jennyjj01
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by jennyjj01 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:34 pm

Immodium and Dyralite. There's cheap generics at Home Bargain. Actually HB one of the cheapest sources I've found for generic meds, including anticeptics, antifungals etc.

If/when SHTF, I'm off to LIDL and HB in that order, if I haven't already got more stock than they have $:o) ( It's already a close call on some stuff )

Must get self and spouse on first aid courses, so we can save each-other.

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5248
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Deeps » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Something like this is handy for cooking if there's no gas/lecky.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-GAS ... :rk:8:pf:0

Its the wrong time of year but the cheap shops (B&M, Home bargains etc) do them for a tenner or less. They also do the canisters for them, usually 4 for 4 quid. They're not something you would chose to take up the hills but for the house or garden they're absolutely fine. If you're looking at getting into walking/camping then there's a shed load of options, I was up at a bothy doing some maintenance this weekend and went with meths burners for size and weight.

You seem to have a good grasp of your current situation which is brilliant, just keep plugging away at it and keep asking the questions.

For fitness for joining the Reserves, whatever the minimum requirements are, try and do a good bit more, its one of those things that you can easily fix yourself and takes the pressure off you when you're away doing courses. Running is a big one, the mile and a half is the standard so its a good distance to practice although if you can be bothered, the more running the better.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 3842
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 am

Deepa £3.75!!! Free postage as well how do they do that???!!!

I've got 2 of those stoves one generic netto special (which is on its last legs) and a camping Gaz one ... The netto special now resides on the allotment with a kettle ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

jansman
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by jansman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:54 am

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 am
Deepa £3.75!!! Free postage as well how do they do that???!!!

I've got 2 of those stoves one generic netto special (which is on its last legs) and a camping Gaz one ... The netto special now resides on the allotment with a kettle ;)
£3.75 is for l x gas bottle. The stove is £13.25. You have to watch e bay offers, they can be misleading at times.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

User avatar
Arwen Thebard
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Arwen Thebard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am

Scrap the idea of joining a Gym, you can improvise exercise routines pretty well at home without that monthly expense which could then go towards your other needed kit or stocks. Joining the reserves could give you contact with other prepper minded souls as well.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5248
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Deeps » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:38 am

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 am
Deepa £3.75!!! Free postage as well how do they do that???!!!

I've got 2 of those stoves one generic netto special (which is on its last legs) and a camping Gaz one ... The netto special now resides on the allotment with a kettle ;)
We've got one at the allotment, 2 in the garage for the house (I use one when I'm smoking salmon for the missus) and I've got one for my mum too. I think the most I paid was a tenner. They're nice and simple to use and the fuel is readily available, what's not to like. :D

Got plenty of other options but for the house they're spot on.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 3842
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am

The equivalent gas heater on the other hand :roll:


I picked up a Chinese (so probably as safe as a hand grenade) :lol: adapter

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/327469501 ... nk-Adapter

I run gas lights / weed wand off them if I get desperate.. doesn't tend to seal very well with the appliances with just a o ring
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

User avatar
Quill
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Quill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Imodium is a very good shout haha
Deeps wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm
Something like this is handy for cooking if there's no gas/lecky.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-GAS ... :rk:8:pf:0

Its the wrong time of year but the cheap shops (B&M, Home bargains etc) do them for a tenner or less. They also do the canisters for them, usually 4 for 4 quid. They're not something you would chose to take up the hills but for the house or garden they're absolutely fine. If you're looking at getting into walking/camping then there's a shed load of options, I was up at a bothy doing some maintenance this weekend and went with meths burners for size and weight.

You seem to have a good grasp of your current situation which is brilliant, just keep plugging away at it and keep asking the questions.
Those seem ideal.
Deeps wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm
For fitness for joining the Reserves, whatever the minimum requirements are, try and do a good bit more, its one of those things that you can easily fix yourself and takes the pressure off you when you're away doing courses. Running is a big one, the mile and a half is the standard so its a good distance to practice although if you can be bothered, the more running the better.
Arwen Thebard wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am
Scrap the idea of joining a Gym, you can improvise exercise routines pretty well at home without that monthly expense which could then go towards your other needed kit or stocks. Joining the reserves could give you contact with other prepper minded souls as well.
Yeah, been on a few runs the last week but still gonna join a gym when I can. I like training with weights.

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5248
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Deeps » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Quill wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Yeah, been on a few runs the last week but still gonna join a gym when I can. I like training with weights.
No harm in building a bit of muss mate, the Forces (especially basic) is more about the running though. If and when you can get around to it, some free weights in the house can be handy too, I've found in the past that if they're there 'winking at me' I'll pick them up and use them, even if I couldn't be arsed going to the gym. Not sure if they're still doing them but I picked up some quite cheap bars and weights from Tesco a while back. Even without them, sit ups and press ups and whatever you can come up with can keep you occupied phys wise. If you've got the money then the gym is great (well can be if you're serious and not distracted by the tidy burds and that ;) ) but its not essential. If you don't mind me asking, roughly how old are you ???

User avatar
Quill
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: How I'm prepping

Post by Quill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Deeps wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 pm
No harm in building a bit of muss mate, the Forces (especially basic) is more about the running though. If and when you can get around to it, some free weights in the house can be handy too, I've found in the past that if they're there 'winking at me' I'll pick them up and use them, even if I couldn't be arsed going to the gym. Not sure if they're still doing them but I picked up some quite cheap bars and weights from Tesco a while back. Even without them, sit ups and press ups and whatever you can come up with can keep you occupied phys wise. If you've got the money then the gym is great (well can be if you're serious and not distracted by the tidy burds and that ;) ) but its not essential. If you don't mind me asking, roughly how old are you ???
Aye I’ve had two mates join and all they do is complain about the running haha. Yup, definitely going to pick some up. It’s definitely not essential, just something i enjoy. Early-mid 20s i.e. car insurance is still a joke.

Post Reply