Death - lifebook

How are you preparing
moominmama

Death - lifebook

Post by moominmama »

dear all,

i hate to be morbid, but.....

as well as a will, and funeral plans i am also completing the Age UK lifebook, can be obtained for free via https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... /lifebook/

it is all the useful info that my nearest and dearest would need to run the household, etc in the unlikely event i did die sooner rather than later, and would save a lot of time and distress at a difficult enough time.

i have seen a lot of widows, and it does tend to be widows left in very difficult and distressing position as they had no idea about the household expenditure, accounts, utilities, pensions, etc. and with more things being on-line i do think it will get worse as they may not even have a paper trail to follow to find out these things.

please consider it the last loving gift you will leave your partner, to make things as easy as possible to them.
Bijela

Re: Death - lifebook

Post by Bijela »

We have each spending accounts and a joint "Billings account" that all bill are paid from. Wife does know what bank accounts I have have and abroad.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Its a cracking idea.I did a similar thing,I call it The Deathlist.My mum,now on her own has also done this,to save hassle when she goes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for that - I've applied for one to be delivered to my email address.

We were lucky when my mum died in that she'd been talking to me about her finances and the various accounts she had for years, and my brother had been overseeing her medical needs, responding to appointment requests and whatnot, so we had a lot of information right there. It still took forever, though. The more information a relative can have, the better.
korolev

Post by korolev »

My Mrs knows the finances and all the important stuff.

All I need to tell her is not to sell m stuff for what I said I paid for it :D

Seriously though, I really ought to catalogue my knives and torches and what they are worth.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am The more information a relative can have, the better.
Very true as long as it's relevant information . My mother didn't have a death -life book as such but she had a case with all the paperwork in it ( as well as another bag with the cash for the funeral too :o ) . It took us a while to sort through it all. She'd kept practically everything , there were bills from the eighties , receipts for long gone fridges , old insurance documents and so on..
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am The more information a relative can have, the better.
Very true as long as it's relevant information .
So, so true! In amongst all the useful stuff was stuff that was only "useful" in genealogical terms - the bypass my dad got in 1952 which meant he didn't have to take a driving test (he was an RAF driver in WWII), my mum's terms and conditions for a job she started in 1963 ... it was fun :lol: