Car break down prepping in real life

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 3842
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 am

I nearly got hit by a car several years ago doing a offside puncture in winter daylight dispite.....

Amber warning roof light bar

2x rear deck strobes

Warning triangle

Class 3 motorway spec high vis coat and class 1 orange trousers .....

And the prat decided to back up having nearly hit me and have a go at me for not paying attention.... I did threaten to ram a breaker bar up his backside with that he shot off!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

Dave999
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Dave999 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 am

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 am
I nearly got hit by a car several years ago doing a offside puncture in winter daylight dispite.....

Amber warning roof light bar

2x rear deck strobes

Warning triangle

Class 3 motorway spec high vis coat and class 1 orange trousers .....

And the prat decided to back up having nearly hit me and have a go at me for not paying attention.... I did threaten to ram a breaker bar up his backside with that he shot off!
It's sounds like you have done /do work on highways buddy?

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 3842
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Dave999 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 am
I nearly got hit by a car several years ago doing a offside puncture in winter daylight dispite.....

Amber warning roof light bar

2x rear deck strobes

Warning triangle

Class 3 motorway spec high vis coat and class 1 orange trousers .....

And the prat decided to back up having nearly hit me and have a go at me for not paying attention.... I did threaten to ram a breaker bar up his backside with that he shot off!
It's sounds like you have done /do work on highways buddy?
Done a little bit in the past there's some blooming nutters out there! Judging by the trebble 9 after your name I'm guessing your in the blue light services?

Health and safety manager on a very busy site mixing HGVs Pedestrians cars and vans..... Spent a interesting 2 hours with the 3m PPE rep today ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

Dave999
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Dave999 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:06 am

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:54 pm
Dave999 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 am
I nearly got hit by a car several years ago doing a offside puncture in winter daylight dispite.....


Amber warning roof light bar

2x rear deck strobes

Warning triangle

Class 3 motorway spec high vis coat and class 1 orange trousers .....

And the prat decided to back up having nearly hit me and have a go at me for not paying attention.... I did threaten to ram a breaker bar up his backside with that he shot off!
It's sounds like you have done /do work on highways buddy?
Done a little bit in the past there's some blooming nutters out there! Judging by the trebble 9 after your name I'm guessing your in the blue light services?

Health and safety manager on a very busy site mixing HGVs Pedestrians cars and vans..... Spent a interesting 2 hours with the 3m PPE rep today ;)
Not blue light services, just the username 'Dave' wasn't avaliable so I just put some random numbers after it. Haha.
I'm and engineer, did a few years on Highway jobs but not anymore. I thought you must have worked on some highways as you almost have a 'Chapel 8' compliant vehicle! Just need a few chevrons.

I don't often get PPE reps around, but plenty of plant hire reps :roll:

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 3842
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 am

According to the highways agency (think that's where I red it) there are 50x collisions a year here people pile into these:
images(51).jpg
images(51).jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
images(50).jpg
images(50).jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

If they can't see a 20ft yellow keep left or right sign with animated arrow and Xeon strobe cannons visible for about 5 miles your average hatch back doesn't stand a chance
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

preparedsurrey
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm
Location: Area 3

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by preparedsurrey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 am

Maybe it's just me but that fact they're so brightly lit means they dazzle me to the extent it's difficult to maintain perspective?
Likewise modern brake lights that seem to be like looking straight into the sun sat at your eye level coupled with stupid indicators you can't seem because of the brake light glare.

#grumpyoldman
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....

jansman
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by jansman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 am
According to the highways agency (think that's where I red it) there are 50x collisions a year here people pile into these:

images(51).jpg


images(50).jpg


If they can't see a 20ft yellow keep left or right sign with animated arrow and Xeon strobe cannons visible for about 5 miles your average hatch back doesn't stand a chance
Drivers are too damned distracted by phones/onboard texting/ satnavs etc. I am often told that I drive too slowly. I never considered obeying speed limits to mean I was ‘slow’! There is NO excuse for driving into the back of the above.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 3842
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:12 pm

preparedsurrey wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 am
Maybe it's just me but that fact they're so brightly lit means they dazzle me to the extent it's difficult to maintain perspective?
Likewise modern brake lights that seem to be like looking straight into the sun sat at your eye level coupled with stupid indicators you can't seem because of the brake light glare.

#grumpyoldman
Image


Don't get me started on those "chasing" indicators on new Audi's ... Suppose it gives them an incentive to use them :?

Remind me to clean the inside of my windscreen tomorrow ....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

jansman
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by jansman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:39 am

That made me laugh! :lol:Audi drivers are the same up your way too, then? I don’t know how those indicators are legal.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

User avatar
ukpreppergrrl
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 am
Location: London

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by ukpreppergrrl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I hate those frickin' indicators! :evil: I can't see them! I think they're not indicating and start shouting loudly at the car in front as it suddenly brakes only, eventually to glean through the dazzle of all the other lights the thin, very thin, slightly more orange than the other LEDs, line of chasing indicator lights. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid! And on the subject of indicators, why have most car manufacturers stopped having side indicators? When you're alongside another vehicle in traffic - which is 99.9% of the time in London - you cannot see their front or rear indicators. The only way you have of knowing that they need to get into your lane is when they start pushing in! Mutter...mutter....
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb

Post Reply