Car break down prepping in real life

How are you preparing
Prepping_Al

Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Prepping_Al »

As I sit here waiting for the rac to recover me to the garage I've been thinking if I broke down and it was the middle of winter what am I missing. I already have:-
A half finished book in the glove box
4 cans of pepsi max
A bottle of water
4 chunky KitKat's
4 galaxy bars
1&1/2 snickers bars (I was getting a roll for breakfast at work)
My basic tool kit doesn't include torx sockets or tools to reseat an injector hence a garage job - well that's what I hope the job is as it was done last month

I am close enough to walk to work or home but my office shoes are not ideal for winter so walking shoes plus a heavy coat. A sleeping bag if I'm stuck over night.
Anything I'm missing?

Point of note hazard lights, warning triangle and a bonnet up are not enough for people to realise you have broken down 3 car lengths from a set of traffic lights. How else can I make it obvious they keep pulling up behind me then blast their horn when the light changes.
Dave999

Re: Car break down prepping in real life

Post by Dave999 »

I guess it depends how far you travel from home, weather conditions, are you generally in a built up area or rural area, etc, so there are no right/wrong answers.

I would think about including the following:

- Decent shoes/boots conformable for walking, waterproof.
- Waterproof coat.
- if winter, then gloves and hat. In summer include a sun hat. Perhaps workman's gloves.
- I have an old golfing style umbrella in the boot. Great for protecting yourself from the rain.
-1st aid kit.
- Torch with batteries. Or maybe one you can charg with a inbuilt dynamo.
- Bottled water. (cafinated drinks can dehydrate you further).
- phone charging cable and cigarette adapter.
- a road atlas, map of your area.
- cash for phone box or buying food/drink in local shops.
- make sure your spare tire and jack etc are in the car and are in good working order. Remember to have the locking wheel nut socket if you have alloys.
- blanket or something to help keep you warm.

I've probably missed a few things but here is some food for thought.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

On and perhaps some more substantial food, more than just chocolate.
Tizzie

Post by Tizzie »

I used to have a change of clothes, waterproofs, Wellington boots. A couple of flasks of hot water, tea bags, powdered milk, sweeteners, cup of soups, folding shovel to name but a few. Put it all into a cardboard box so everything was to hand.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Tizzie wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:04 pm I used to have a change of clothes, waterproofs, Wellington boots. A couple of flasks of hot water, tea bags, powdered milk, sweeteners, cup of soups, folding shovel to name but a few. Put it all into a cardboard box so everything was to hand.
Or a small rucksack so if you need to strap it on and walk, you can.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If its not SHTF,an RAC or AA card,smartphone with APP for location,and an emergency charger.

I carry spare clothes in case of falling in the river when fishing :lol: ,wear seasonal clothing,and have a golfing umbrella in case I have to stand at the side of the road.I am not a mechanic,and don't want to be.And before anyone says, " you should know how to change a wheel etc. ",I will ask," can you slaughter, butcher and prep your dinner? " to each his own.

Shtf,its likely a walk home.13 miles or so.Water ,snickers bars,PROPER space blanket and survival bag.I have a camo poncho that can double as a small bivi.Just in case of a night out.I now have a hexi stove,mess tin and tea bags for a brew.usual torch,multitool blah blah.ProPlus caffiene tablets to stay awake - I have to get home! And a telescopic hiking pole.Helps my back,and can be used to fend off 'wild animals' ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Bear in mind if it's middle of winter & you're on a motorway or otherwise very busy road you won't (shouldn't) be waiting in the car so will want to make sure you're as comfy as possible away from the car, whatever the weather) and the gear you'll need whilst out there waiting is quick to grab to get away from the car (& crash danger) ASAP.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Dead right! Amazing how many folks don’t even have a coat in their cars.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

In the back of mine I have :
Bag1. Towing strap, 12v tyre inflator, warning triangle, folding shovel, 30 feet of rope, 2 recovery shackles, rigger gloves.
Bag2. clothing & towels in a vacuum sucktion bag, tolietries (toothbrush/paste, soap), bog roll, water, cereal bars, tool set (multitool, knife, torch, duck tape etc), disposable ponchos, space blankets.
Comprehensive FAK.
Walking boots.
Head torch & spare batteries.

In winter there is always hat, coat, gloves in there too.

Most important though is breakdown cover, phone and credit card.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

For food in a vehicle we go with the Wayfarer meals in bags, bit costlier than i'd like but they do last ages and taste pretty good hot or cold, we recently ate some that were over five years out of date after a breakdown meant getting to a campsite very late, and to be fair they tasted fine :lol:

We also have a 600w inverter, travel kettle and tea/coffee/hot chocolate/oxo making stuff as there's nothing nicer than a hot drink when you break down and it's sods law it'll be either freezing or pi**ing it down!
-though a jetboil or other gas water heating device would do just as well.

As others have said, a spare warm coat is nice but if you're pushed for space at least get a wooly hat & gloves, they're cheap and make a huge difference. I got some of the cheap thinsulate jobs for a few quid each and they have kept us warm and comfy a few times when we've been out and the weathers turned.