Running to the hills

How are you preparing
MrBunty

Re: Running to the hills

Post by MrBunty »

grenfell wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:30 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 pm ( why do the Bug Out Brigade choose the woods?),
Probably has Hollywood to blame? About the only large scale successful running to the woods I can think of is the large partisan groups that operated in Russia during the war.
70 years ago and even today Russia/USSR had ancient forests the size of England. Most of the forests here are small and the larger ones are for commercial logging so there's no way to Iive off the land. Staying put makes more sense as you can prepare the location
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Looking at the link Jansman posted, it is very informative and really makes you think how much we need in reality, we all have the fantasy about running of in a shtf scenario, me included but reading that, just how long could we survive?
I’m building a Campervan for full time living and (hopefully) it will have a log burner, already got solar panels and it will have a under slung lpg tank etc but even with all that, reading that article made me think that even with a full off grid camper, how long could I realistically survive and if I’m honest about it, not as long as I would like to. It is making me re evaluate things, with water filtration and purifying I would only be able to carry enough food etc for around 3-4 months, maybe if I packed it all in a bit longer but that’s it. Definitely food (pun intended) for thought.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Vehicles would I suspect suffer a distinct vulnerability in the sort of slow crash that is being envisaged here. Notwithstanding when one would use one to make an escape there is the issue of the availability of fuel and spares. If petrol becomes increasingly more expensive and supplies are erratic one could find oneself using any stockpile in day to day living . The reduction of services in the rural areas could also see maintainence of smaller side roads becoming less and less , just another obstacle to consider .