Running to the hills

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: Running to the hills

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 pm [quote=Deeps post_id=179638 time=1535029505 user_id=5354

You'll also know people locally, who are the good guys, etc. You may even have a number of good friends living nearby who you could cooperate with. Its not very apocalyptic though, sitting in your own house with the lights off. :lol:
In relation to my original question you've probably hit on the principal advantage of moving to the country before the slow crash finally hits the bottom , that of integrating with the local community , building relationships over time . And answering my own question I suppose there is also the advantage that moving while times are not yet totally buggered means that the money one has saved is actually still worth something and could buy that retreat and stock it up.
[/quote]

I'd love to move out to the sticks, it wouldn't have to be that far, just 'out the way' a bit. Not just to build my lair but for general life, it would suit me and the dugs more. The wife..... still a work in progress. I daresay I could take steps to make things awkward for unwanted visitors but you can do that wherever you live to a greater or lesser extent. I guess you have to go with what you've got although as you say, if its something you feel strongly about, you might be able to change your lot.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I will be paraphrasing the online saying,but anyone who leaves the safety and comfort of their home,to go to an unspecified location is simply a refugee.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've read responses to that , especially on American sites , that would argue the point but in general leaving with your world in a rucksack is an act of last resort.
However, the thread isn't really about that type of moving or bugging out . We see people leaving Syria and Africa to escape war or poverty and it's fully understandable , they are moving to a safer ,better place and the question really was about here in the U.K. ( and probably other countries) and does it make the same sense to move from an urban area which still has a relatively low crime rate and services relatively intact to a rural area where we have seen services and policing cutbacks and an upsurge in crime? We talk all the time on here about food stocks or whatever in case of shortages or whatever so we can in efffect maintain our lifestyle at least for a while so would , could or should we consider moving to a place where the long slow crash has already impacted those lifestyles ?
As. I see it there are advantages and disadvantages and it's up to the individual to balance that. For one thing those of us of a certain age will probably have seen some sort of deterioration of our society over our lives while at the same time seeing some making a very decent life in that deteriorating world.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

We have cattle and sheep which we assume would be stolen in a shtf senario and I doubt if there's much we could do about it. The problem with the world and his wife heading for the hills is that we live in the country and we would be unable to "live off the land" as there isn't that much out there, especially when you consider all the other people that live in a one mile radius of us. So what does the hoard think they're going to eat once they've finished our livestock? All we could expect to have is what we grow in the veg. garden and with hungry mobs all around that would take some defending! Don't have an answer to this problem so hoping someone else has a eureka moment.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

All the apocalyptic films and books have the military putting everyone to work in the fields ;)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Strength / security in numbers seems to be the way to go for us?

What that ideal number / size is, (eg; village/town/city) or how you go about finding and building or joining a group is another topic on its own.

Bugging out to a rural location where we are the strangers would have to be a last resort option for us.

Our property looks no different to any of the the others in the area, despite the installed security measures, until you look closer or try to get in. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

My brother lives about as remote as you can get,off grid at a travellers camp in the middle of nowhere.Our plan is that if it all went 'Last Light' (Alex Scarrow if you have not read it),then he will make his way here.He has a GHB similar to mine,so he can move quickly across country if motor transportation is not possible.In his words, " it will give you extra firepower ".Safety in numbers he means! ;) ;)

Right now it is sluicing down here.NO WAY would I run to the woods ( why do the Bug Out Brigade choose the woods?),and no way would my wife! :lol: For (us) camping in any form is crap.As a family we did it once,as a Royal Marine in my teens I did it.It was crap!

Anyhow,we have the animals to think of.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:00 pm Strength / security in numbers seems to be the way to go for us?

What that ideal number / size is, (eg; village/town/city) or how you go about finding and building or joining a group is another topic on its own.
Somewhere in the back of my mind , and probably on the internet too , I seem to recall an anthropologist study that came to the conclusion that humans naturally form communities of around 125 people , around the average number of soldiers in a company or about the uppermost limit of one's friends or acquaintances. Arazosah's comment about choosing a small village starts to make sense in that respect.
Not that I believe it would ever really come to it but an urban envoiroment is an inherently easier one to defend. Historically seiges have been costly affairs and if one looks at WW2 and the battles in Stalingrad and Berlin we see some very diffficult fighting with high casualty rates. Modern armies devote considerable time to street warfare but still expect to take higher casualties
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 pm ( why do the Bug Out Brigade choose the woods?),
Probably has Hollywood to blame? About the only large scale successful running to the woods I can think of is the large partisan groups that operated in Russia during the war.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Anyone here young enough to remember this old classic? Gloriously bad now but in its day.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0vMgIQVicQ
Panic_in_year_zero_1962_poster.jpg
Panic_in_year_zero_1962_poster.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"