Winter.

How are you preparing
Outdoorsy

Re: Winter.

Post by Outdoorsy »

Thanks all! - really helpful advice. I had no idea that you should ease a new stove in gradually - I’ll start with a smaller fire. I’ll probably buy in a few logs for this winter to get us started and then will keep an eye out for local wood/pallets going free. Is there any way to ‘test’ wood for how much moisture it contains before burning?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Get yourself a wood moisture detector. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

With some experience over time,you will see logs crack open on the ends when dry.They have a certain ' ring' when you tap them with a stick.Wet logs have a dull thud.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Up to a point you can judge it by how heavy it feels , you build up a sort of intuition combining how a timber feels , looks and even smells. Not as scientific as a moisture detector but something that comes from experience. Diffferent species have different weights of course and different water levels , elm or instance when green is anything up to double the weight of a seasoned piece . I've seen people put soaking wet logs on a fire and it was very clear they were wet. Slower burning , water bubbling from the ends and far more white smoke.
One other thing is to knock up a log store. Doesn't need to be elaborate , just a roof to keep off most of the rain and as open as possible to allow airflow which will dry out timber to the low 20% moisture content. For freshly felled green timber it can just be left outdoors uncovered although preferably off the ground for a year before placing it in the covered store.
jansman

Post by jansman »

You can buy a meter for less than 6 quid on e bay.Me,being a tightwad,will continue the 'tap test' :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.