Brexit-related prepping resource

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Brexit-related prepping resource

Post by jansman »

You may have a point pseudonym.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 pm
We import half of our spuds.We are gonna get caned!
Didn't realise it was that much. As I've posted elsewhere I think things will settle down to more or less where we are now but apart from it just being my opinion, we're still going to be in a state of flux in the short term when we leave. I'm sure the majority of us (citizens as opposed to preppers) will get by, probably with a lot of moaning (its what we do) but I am concerned about those who are on the margins. Things like pasta, and from what you say, tatties will hike up in price, its always those at the bottom of the pyramid that feel it most.

Personally, the passata and pasta will be getting ramped up, we use a lot of both and I'm moving from a short to medium term 'what if' prep to an expectation that these items WILL be going up in cost. Will be building up on other staples too but long term ones mostly, don't want to get too nuts about things. :tinfoil
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think you are right Deeps,that those at the bottom of the economic pile will suffer.Items like pasta and sauces,tinned tomatoes ( we use so many here at Chez J !) are going to spike.Right now,they are staples at food banks.I REALLY hope that I am wrong,but the meat suppliers I deal with on a daily basis feelnthe same way.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm I think you are right Deeps,that those at the bottom of the economic pile will suffer.Items like pasta and sauces,tinned tomatoes ( we use so many here at Chez J !) are going to spike.Right now,they are staples at food banks.I REALLY hope that I am wrong,but the meat suppliers I deal with on a daily basis feelnthe same way.
I'm far from a doom and gloomer and while I think things will settle, that immediate 'post brexit' bit has the potential to be a big problem. We all 'risk assess' our preps and life in general and for me, I'll be building while things are still cheap(ish). Not full on 'supermarket sweep' but the long life stuff that we use anyway. Touch wood, we will probably be fine but why pay more. It will possibly free up cash that will be required elsewhere.That's the theory at least, hopefully we'll be no worse off anyway.

My fear is that a lot of people are going to end up getting bit in the arse with this and there doesn't seem to be any genuine 'official' guidance. I can understand why, apart from nothing being resolved at a negotiating level, we've got ourselves into a position where every utterance from those in authority gets dissected and cast back at them so why would they preempt things and offer advice that might affect their careers in a years time. Its a proper pot mess.
Panther

Post by Panther »

I'm reminded of the old children's story, "Henny-penny, the sky is falling in!" So many in the media seem to revel in alarmist forecasts of doom and gloom as regards the country's fate after Brexit. It's almost as if they want it to be an unmitigated disaster and for the country to be in a state of complete collapse! Of course much (most) of this talk is politically motivated. In my optimistic and overly simplistic view the country seems to have survived much bigger upheavals over the last two thousand years, so I imagine we'll either sail through or possibly stumble through the next few years without too much difficulty. Of course it'll mean prices going up but then again they always do!

I'll increase my supplies though, just in case!! 8-)
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I'll avoid any political discussion of Brexit on this forum.

The facts though are these: if we head to a no-deal Brexit, then our customs infrastructure and JIT supply chains simply cannot cope. We don't have anything like enough customs officers, truck parking, trucks, drivers, warehouses etc. etc. etc. The effect on supply chain will be severe and random. This will lead to a lot of short-term discomfort.

Given how over-leveraged many businesses are, knock-on effects through the system could also be severe and unpredictable. At the worst we could be facing a hit worse than 2008 with banks freezing up.

None of this will chill preppers to the bone, but the potential for societal disruption is large. And that's before we get on to medicine etc.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

featherstick wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 am I'll avoid any political discussion of Brexit on this forum.

The facts though are these: if we head to a no-deal Brexit, then our customs infrastructure and JIT supply chains simply cannot cope. We don't have anything like enough customs officers, truck parking, trucks, drivers, warehouses etc. etc. etc. The effect on supply chain will be severe and random. This will lead to a lot of short-term discomfort.

Given how over-leveraged many businesses are, knock-on effects through the system could also be severe and unpredictable. At the worst we could be facing a hit worse than 2008 with banks freezing up.

None of this will chill preppers to the bone, but the potential for societal disruption is large. And that's before we get on to medicine etc.
The problem is that we're unlikely to know what the outcome is until the last minute. From the consumer's point of view the best that can happen is that we carry on as we are and our extraction is seamless. While that might happen, I can't see it and as you point out as a nation we're woefully under equipped to deal with shortages, at least in some areas.

While it ain't as sexy as zombies and tsunamis this is just as much a test of our prepping potentially, and we'll not know until that last minute if and how badly we're going to be affected.If I thought I could get away with it, I'd be getting a second chest freezer, maybe need to buy some flowers first. ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Airbus employ 14,000 people in the UK,half of them in Wales,which is an economic sh#thole at the best of times.They say that unless gvt sorts out trade deals in the next few weeks,they will be acting upon their Brexit risk assessment,and will be GONE!

Farmers are concerned about no workers to pick crops next year.Some larger fruit farms are considering packing up and moving to Europe and selling within Europe.

The banking/financual industry have said that they are risk assesing too,and already making plans to bail.

I won't comment on whether it is good or bad to leave the EU,but I really dont think it is a Henny Penny situation.We are gonna get caned,and the EU will make sure to punish us!

From the prepping angle,I shall be stocking up on imported stuff I can store,like Deeps.Better than money in the bank,until it is clear about the transition.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

And now BMW have said unless there is clarity by the end of the Summer, production will move to Holland. Thinking Clint Eastwood- it’s a ClusterF&@k! Oh yes, they build the mini and Rolls Royce. 8000 workers!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Robert Frost.

Me.