Brexit-related prepping resource

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: Brexit-related prepping resource

Post by Deeps »

I think with the size and relative wealth of the UK we'll be fine long term, we will still want to buy and sell stuff so deals will be made. Its that short term post Brexit period that is going to be the tricky bit.
Companies can and will huff and puff but 60 odd million customers can't be ignored, if a company pulls out, another will take its place. If BMW's get even more expensive then we'll drive Fords or Hondas. Life will settle down and we'll roll along. It might take a year or two with issues like price hikes and/or shortages of some stuff but we're still a prosperous country. Its in politicians interests to keep us plebs sweet so whether its with the EU or other countries we'll get ourselves sorted, these things do take time though. Something to bore the grandkids with maybe. :lol:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm hoping for the best, I've no love for the current regime and that is putting it mildly but somewhere inside I'm thinking it's a tough thing because as with my own battle with the leave/remain decision i.e wanting to stay but for many years wanted the EU to think if they didn't stop screwing us and wasting etc that we would add to that no one really wants to be told what to do by another country, it's hard enough for a Brit to like everything imposed upon us by our own lot, think Basil Fawlty here ;) So there's an element of poker face negotiations wise, a bad deal or no deal would be bad all around and yes cutting off our noses to spite our faces certainly in the short term, but that's kind of the point, we want out because we felt to some degree that we were being screwed, a remainer friend of mine said our trouble is we stick to the laws they make, whereas others if they don't like them, they don't France in particular has no problem folding it's arms in defiance or Germany for that matter, It all went south trying to go too far Europe is made up of individual countries, how is it that on the one hand we want to devolve power, and on the other centralize it? I really am sitting on the fence now in a sympathy for the devil type way, it's a high stakes poker game situation here it's never going to look good until a deal is struck, I can see many here are thinking piss up and brewery but I say it's clear as mud, fill the cupboards and turn off the bloody news :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Airbus employ 14,000 people in the UK,half of them in Wales,which is an economic sh#thole at the best of times.They say that unless gvt sorts out trade deals in the next few weeks,they will be acting upon their Brexit risk assessment,and will be GONE!

Given thet Airbus has received and continues to receive billions in EU subsidies, they will do whatever their paymasters tell them to if they risk loosing free funding.

Will the EU even be around in a few years? Perhaps a little too much emphasis on Brexit and not seeing a bigger picture?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:21 am
Will the EU even be around in a few years? Perhaps a little too much emphasis on Brexit and not seeing a bigger picture?
I was pretty much a fence sitter when it came to the referendum . Both sides painted an over rosy view of their preferred position and probably overplayed how bad the alternative was. I was in little doubt that either way things would only get worse and either decision would be blamed. The longevity of the EU was a consideration to me, the fracturing that is appearing with countries such as Greece , Italy , Hungary and Poland didn't bode well to me .
korolev

Post by korolev »

I'm 55 and hoping to retire soon with a decent-ish pension. I'd like to buy a place in Western Crete, just got to tip the Mrs into agreeing (she's about 60/40 against at the mo but nothing's written in stone).
My Brexit preps are centred around this; if, and it's a big if, the EU make Brits jump through hoops to move abroad, I will apply for Italian citizenship. I know I am eligible du to my great-great-grandfather and I have a couple of grand put aside to pay for an immigration lawyer to get all the documents and sort it for me.
As an Italian citizen I would then have freedom of movement.

What a pullaver though...
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:56 pm I'm 55 and hoping to retire soon with a decent-ish pension. I'd like to buy a place in Western Crete, just got to tip the Mrs into agreeing (she's about 60/40 against at the mo but nothing's written in stone).
My Brexit preps are centred around this; if, and it's a big if, the EU make Brits jump through hoops to move abroad, I will apply for Italian citizenship. I know I am eligible du to my great-great-grandfather and I have a couple of grand put aside to pay for an immigration lawyer to get all the documents and sort it for me.

We spent a lovely 6 months in Spain where I worked as a fishing guide and my wife got her degree as a rather mature student and became a teacher. I had the chance to become a partner in the business, and Mrs J fancied teaching English, as she speaks rather good Spanish and French. Then we had the vote, and that put the kaibosh on that! Shame, as it was a lovely lifestyle.So that is is free movement and residency knackered.

Regarding trading with 60 million odd Brits, it is a large customer base. However, unless we sort a deal, we will have to fall upon the mercy of the WTO, and their rather heavy duty tariff system which will not make us the most competitive nation. Of course, according to my trade union, our leaders will sweep away those nasty EU rules,Red Tape according to them, like the Working Timw Directive. That was a rule brought in by the evil EU ;) that meant Brits, for the first time EVER, had the right to paid holidays enshrined in law. But who would want such nasty things as holidays imposed upon them! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

James Patrick is a copper-turned-journalist who has done a lot of work on Russia's interference in western countries - he's a very credible person.
That made me chuckle :D
peejay

Post by peejay »

Had this email this morning:

===========
This e-mail contains important information regarding your AppleCare+, underwritten by AIG Europe Limited (AIG), an insurance company incorporated in the United Kingdom (UK) and authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the PRA and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). As part of AIG's plans for the UK leaving the European Union (commonly known as “Brexit”), the company is undertaking a restructure that will result in all its UK business, including your policy, being transferred to American International Group UK Limited, another insurance company within the AIG group, incorporated in the United Kingdom and authorised by the PRA and regulated by the PRA and FCA. Please click on the link below to view important documents and information relating to the proposed transfer and the rights you have.

For any other queries relating to your AppleCare+, please use your usual AppleCare+ contact point.

Please click www.aig.com/brexit to view further information.
===========
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:13 pm Had this email this morning:

===========
This e-mail contains important information regarding your AppleCare+, underwritten by AIG Europe Limited (AIG), an insurance company incorporated in the United Kingdom (UK) and authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the PRA and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). As part of AIG's plans for the UK leaving the European Union (commonly known as “Brexit”), the company is undertaking a restructure that will result in all its UK business, including your policy, being transferred to American International Group UK Limited, another insurance company within the AIG group, incorporated in the United Kingdom and authorised by the PRA and regulated by the PRA and FCA. Please click on the link below to view important documents and information relating to the proposed transfer and the rights you have.

For any other queries relating to your AppleCare+, please use your usual AppleCare+ contact point.

Please click www.aig.com/brexit to view further information.
===========
Says it all. We voted to get f##### right up the you- know - what!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

korolev wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:56 pm I'm 55 and hoping to retire soon with a decent-ish pension. I'd like to buy a place in Western Crete, just got to tip the Mrs into agreeing (she's about 60/40 against at the mo but nothing's written in stone).

We decided to move the other way and came back to the UK in 2012 after living abroad for 10 years in Eastern Europe (Croatia). We saw the way things were headed within the EU and decided it wasn't for us, if a SHTF incident was to happen, we would be better off back here than being a foreigner elsewhere.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"