I'm making a film - can you help?

How are you preparing
AdamBBC

I'm making a film - can you help?

Post by AdamBBC »

Hi,

I’m Adam, a film maker for the BBC. I’m making a short film (around 3-5 minutes) for the BBC News website and social media about the UK survivalist/prepper scene.

The Aim

I’m on a few forums and naturally I’ve encountered a lot of distrust due to the sensationalist ‘doomday’ films out there that tend to make preppers looks like nut jobs. I will be making a film that cuts out the sensationalism and highlights the issues that can be expected when you completely rely on help, and haven’t made the simplest preparations to get by when the SHTF (to coin a phrase I’ve picked up). It’s not about bunkers and nut jobs, it’s about being able to keep yourself and your family alive when any one of the many scenarios highlighted in the National Risk Register of Civil Emergencies rears its ugly head. Prepping, at a basic level at least, is very wise and should be something everyone does. I want viewers to come away with something to think about, not something to joke about.

About Me

I’m a one man band – producing, filming and editing my own films. It’s a bit of a dream job… I get to pick a subject that interests me and make a film about it.

When I’m not making films I train with the Army Reserve (my prepper path, if you like). I’ve been with the Army now for coming on five years. My training has given me a real appreciation of how simple preparations can help prevent unnecessary hardship. It’s that message that I want to get across in this film.

Money

I’m afraid there isn’t any. BBC News isn’t a commercial venture. I wish I had a pot of cash to spend on some of the legends that I’ve worked with over the years, like this chap who hid shagging dogs on biscuit tins: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... s-revealed.

I'm on the staff here at the Beeb, making lots of films all the time. The only thing I get out of this film is the pleasure of cutting through the sensationalist chaff and working on a subject that interests me.

What I’m after…

Your story. I want to film a few people (ideally) who can show me how they are preparing to live through any level of emergency, from heavy snow to a serious accident at AWE or fuel strikes etc. I want you to tell your story in your words. It's my thing... far too many films are told by film makers rather than the people that are in them.

Ideally I’m after people located in the South, Berkshire being the absolute ideal, but I can spread my wings. This is simply because I’m a part of ‘BBC South’ and it’s easier to get things commissioned in my own patch – but not impossible to venture outside.

Filming would likely only take two or three hours.

My promise

I am that confident that I’ll make the film that you’d want to see that I am happy to not publish it without the contributors approval of the final edit. I have to get you to sign a disclosure agreement that allows me to publish - usually done during filming. Instead of getting you to sign the disclosure at the start, I'll come back to you with the edit and get your signature once you’re approved of it.

I will make all necessary effort to protect any sensitive details such as location or, if absolutely required, identity. Obviously it's a more engaging film if I don't have to blur out your face! :D

If you’re interested in having a conversation about being a part of this, or have any ideas that you’d like to share to help shape it (already received some fantastic suggestions on other parts of this forum), please do reply here or get in touch at adam.paylor@bbc.co.uk.

Thanks for your time and thanks again for having me on your forum.

Worth noting: I’ve had a lot of BBC Bias / Brexit / anti-journalist posts on other forums. There’s not a lot I can say in response to those… I’m a good egg in a big corporation looking to make an informative film on a subject that I believe warrants some consideration. Feel free to rant at me, but I’m not going to engage in it – sorry! If I spent all my time responding to haters I’d never get any good done :|
Clarebelle

Re: I'm making a film - can you help?

Post by Clarebelle »

I hope you find some volunteers, your concept sounds good and giving your participants a safeguard in the form of the final say is a good idea.
I think that after the floods, storms and most recently the 'Beast from the East' that it's becoming more important to educate people about the need to be prepared for these types of events.
The potential for human suffering is pretty large when lorries can't get to shops for prolonged periods etc. If it only makes people go out and buy a first aid kit to keep under the kitchen sink or a carton of powdered milk at the back of the cupboard.

Good Luck!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Have you thought about contacting the British red cross I'm sure they would like the publicity.

https://www.redcross.org.uk/get-help/pr ... mergencies
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

I hadn't, but I'll certainly look into it now. Thanks for the heads up! If I can get the BRC and the Cabinet Office on board in this film, alongside people that are already prepared/preparing, that would help strike the credible tone I'm after. Cheers!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I can't help as such , more extreme or dedicated preppers would probably be listing my failings and the general public would probably find me on the boring side but I do hope your project comes to some sort of fruition . Please keep us informed of the progress as I'm sure you already have potential viewers waiting here.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 pm I can't help as such , more extreme or dedicated preppers would probably be listing my failings and the general public would probably find me on the boring side but I do hope your project comes to some sort of fruition . Please keep us informed of the progress as I'm sure you already have potential viewers waiting here.
^^^ Wot he says.
Curious to see how it pans out but even if I wasn't 'geographically challenged' for your needs, I'm boring*/shy*/on the run from da man*/won't get out of bed for less than ten grand*.

Good luck with it though.

*Delete as appropriate. ;)
Appin

Post by Appin »

It is probably worth looking at what officialdom expects ordinary members of the public to have done anyway. It comes as quite a surprise to find that they assume we all should keep 3 days worth of food and water for each person at all times.

This is from Cheshire Resilience and the pdf gives the 3 days food figure. If you look around you will find it crops up a lot in govt planning.

http://cheshireresilience.org.uk/wp-con ... final_.pdf

I suspect that much pre would be regarded as major by most people.

Appin
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

That's bang on what the film is getting at Appin, thanks for the link! Got an experienced prepper, just looking for someone who is new to it now so they can talk about what moved them to begin making preperations. With those profiles and the cabinet office boffin to back up the Gov advice the film should leave viewers thinking 'ok... I should think about this!'.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

AdamBBC wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 am That's bang on what the film is getting at Appin, thanks for the link! Got an experienced prepper, just looking for someone who is new to it now so they can talk about what moved them to begin making preperations. With those profiles and the cabinet office boffin to back up the Gov advice the film should leave viewers thinking 'ok... I should think about this!'.
At the risk of stating the obvious, aren't you kinda new to prepping ?????

Just saying. :lol:
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

Ha, alas - I can't appear in my own piece on BBC News due to rules of impartiality. That would have been an easy win!