WW3 - logic

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: WW3 - logic

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cornerstone wrote:
katilea wrote:Are you saying it's not likely then?

My post seems to have been closed, but seems others are still allowed to discuss possibility of WW3? Mine was considered as entering the realms of fantasy, (though personally I think its more likely than a 'zombie apocalypse') and I'm checking everyday to see if there's anything recent on the chances of Putin starting a nuclear (or cyber) war.

Besides isn't the WHOLE POINT of a preppers forum that you are preparing for (and discussing what to do) in the event of different scenario's? some like the end of the world and zombies which are highly unlikely! To be honest we're more likely for Putin to wait until a really busy time to target UK's power supplies with a cyber attack - like Easter coming up and if we do get snow and freezing temps (AGAIN!!!) what a perfect time (from his viewpoint) to choose to throw the country into chaos by targeting our power and water systems! It may only be a cyber attack rather than a nuclear one but still many people could and probably would die (think how many people head away for Easter with caravans etc and the last periods of snow has shown people don't all have the common sense to stay at home even if snow and ice is forecast!).

I'm still researching myself and found people wearing white in hiroshima had less burns etc than people wearing darker colours. Think I mentioned it in one of my posts about possibility of white reflecting radiation more than absorbing it, and saw mention of people being told to paint white paint on their windows to reflect radiation. It seems even the special radiation suits online don't protect from absorbing 'gamma rays' and some are costing over a thousand pounds. Maybe it would be better to try and REFLECT as many rays as possible? By wearing white head to toe too?

I found a white tent that has a very dark black out lining (inside..commonly used as sensory areas for disabled kids) I was wondering if this would offer a bit more protection than hiding in a wardrobe or under blankets in the hall? As firstly the white would hopefully reflect off radiation that made it through the walls into the hallway and secondly it would have a thicker lining inside of the tent because of the 'blackout' element of it? so be 'denser' than a regular tent material? I'm also thinking of foam floor mats that fit together like jigsaws. (I have some I'd got to make a play area for my dog when we was a puppy) and whatever books i have, to line the inside of the tent, though I don't have many books to be honest. I tend to read ebooks cos its easier to enlarge the print and set a brighter backlight/contrast.

My only other thought of an hiding place was the small cupboard in the hall but it has the mains electric panel in there and my worry would be fire and being trapped in there if it caught fire, though it gives me extra walls between me and the outside walls (the doors are wood). I'm not convinced sharing a tiny space (and it is tiny could only sit with my back against the wall, couldn't lie down in it even without the dog in it with me too) with an electrical box would still be safer than in the hallway in a larger white tent with thicker material. I'd be worried about running out of air in there too with the doors closed to stop radiation coming through.

My other thought was to using the cupboard but having the doors open so more blankets etc could be draped over the the top of the open doors, a small tent may then fit from the back of the cupboard out lengthways across the hall towards the radiator on the opposite wall. Radiator is metal right? from viewpoint of radiation passing through both the wall and then metal would that offer more protection? .. other things could be placed next to the ends of the opened doors to drape covers over to extend the den right up to the opposite wall. There's still the issue of the mains electrical box been on the back wall of the cupboard and me then being closer to the front door than if we were further up the hall.

I've got more food in anyway including extra cold food incase of power cuts but also because we have the snow forecast for up to 2 weeks over Easter up here, so even without Putin misbehaving we have potential of powercuts and me not being able to get out for a week or more!
It would stand to sense if you painted the windows with a whitewash solution it would deflect some nuclear power or radiation

whitening as in shoe or emulsion paint.
Whitewash is intended to reflect / dissipate the heat from the flash.. reducing the fire risk.... Seconds after that the blast will shatter the glass so heavy curtains ideally fire retardant catches some of it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I can't help thinking that one could fit ready made shutters in a very similar time it would take to paint the windows and would be ( relatively) more efffective.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Let me just say to anyone reading this thread. Please, do your own research regarding nuclear fission, radiological molecular penetration and radiation sickness
There are some completely misguided and untrue statements in this thread that do not reflect the general consensus of science. Tents and clothing, white or otherwise will not stop nuclear particles. You cannot reflect nuclear particles. Do not confuse infrared radiation (light and heat from a blast) with ionising nuclear radiation (radioactive particles expelled from fission)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Brambles wrote:but I have always wanted an Anderson Shelter :D
Nah...Anderson shelters are cold, dark holes in the ground full of spiders. And when the sirens sound you have to go outside to get to it. A Morrison shelter, that's the johnny for me! Use it as a stylish dining table then hide in it and survive the collapse of a 2 storey house on top of you, all the the warmth and comfort of your (former) home! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Brambles wrote:but I have always wanted an Anderson Shelter :D
Nah...Anderson shelters are cold, dark holes in the ground full of spiders. And when the sirens sound you have to go outside to get to it. A Morrison shelter, that's the johnny for me! Use it as a stylish dining table then hide in it and survive the collapse of a 2 storey house on top of you, all the the warmth and comfort of your (former) home! :D
:lol: My love affair with Anderson shelters started when I was 3. My Grandad modified their Anderson shelter into the mother of all Wendy houses for the grandchildren to play in, it had a folding table and benches one side a mini kitchenette at the end and fold up bunks on the other side. He even wallpapered it. We spent many happy hours playing in there and were even allowed to camp-out in it in the summer months. Happy days :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
farnet

Post by farnet »

Brambles wrote:Let me just say to anyone reading this thread. Please, do your own research regarding nuclear fission, radiological molecular penetration and radiation sickness
There are some completely misguided and untrue statements in this thread that do not reflect the general consensus of science. Tents and clothing, white or otherwise will not stop nuclear particles. You cannot reflect nuclear particles. Do not confuse infrared radiation (light and heat from a blast) with ionising nuclear radiation (radioactive particles expelled from fission)
Brambles, thank you for saying that, I was refraining from it as even though I've been working in both civil and military Nuclear for years, I still don't feel quite qualified enough to give definitive advice.

What I will advise though is for anybody even vaguely interested in the subject to buy this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/163 ... UTF8&psc=1

this is probably the most informed book, easy to understand and will blow away (no pun intended) all the urban myths and Hollywood style scenarios.

Edited to show a newer version of the book :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuclear-Surviv ... val+Skills
Last edited by farnet on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

grenfell wrote:I can't help thinking that one could fit ready made shutters in a very similar time it would take to paint the windows and would be ( relatively) more efffective.

i think the idea was to remove the curtains and put something up that is likely to not catch fire
IainT

Post by IainT »

I didn't know there was such a recent version of Nuclear War Survival Skills. Earlier versions are freely available to download such as here http://www.oism.org/nwss/ (1987 version). Definitely worth reading.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

cornerstone wrote:
grenfell wrote:I can't help thinking that one could fit ready made shutters in a very similar time it would take to paint the windows and would be ( relatively) more efffective.

i think the idea was to remove the curtains and put something up that is likely to not catch fire
I read it as in addition to heavy fire proof curtains ?
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Whitewash is intended to reflect / dissipate the heat from the flash.. reducing the fire risk.... Seconds after that the blast will shatter the glass so heavy curtains ideally fire retardant catches some of it
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

The only logic that is to be had from WW3 with the weapons they have got now is the end of mankind as Russia has recently told us, the truth, and to try and prepare for that is not logical at all, in all probability there will be so few of us left and those who are will in all doubt wish they were not.
end of.