WW3 - logic

How are you preparing
farnet

WW3 - logic

Post by farnet »

Hi,

After reading through the thread I feel I need to highlight some logic behind modern strategic warfare.

The main thing is the idea of using a single weapon to take out a country was just cold war fear mongering, the reality is somewhat more logical.

For example, if you are going to spend funds in taking out a country, unless you have an uncontrolled hatred (the only example of this is between Pakistan and India, I spent 7 weeks in India and they utter hatred between the two countries truly shocked me), you would use a yield that would take out the defence but leave the resources for occupation.

the obvious solution is to use a low yield warhead (50Kt approx.) detonated 200 miles up, that would give a maximum EMP burst that would take out the whole of the UK (for example), and by sending multiple missiles you only need one to be successful. This would render all electronics useless, disable comms, fuel, water, waste.... basically everything you use on a daily basis, this would also yield minimal fallout and enable a ground force quick victory (if they wish to do so).

The direct impact on us Preppers is that you'd need analogue solutions for basic survival, along with electrical equipment stored in a faraday cage, and the faraday cage will need to be perfect.

as I've stated in other threads, I'm building (and have been for a very long time) a bunker, not really for any reason but to understand the logistics and something to keep me out of my wife's hair and not get myself into trouble :-) , but in doing so I have done a lot of research regarding modern warfare and EMP defence. If anything was to happen the above scenario would be the most likely, but you have to be aware of the 30 day principle.

With an EMP attack, you will have many stages (taking the actual war out of the equation), firstly would be the immediate lack of power, comms, and mobility (unless you have a very old vehicle, bicycle, or horse), the next stage will be a lack of fuel, water and removal of waste (main drains will quickly back up), then you will be getting to the stage of hunger, disease (infected water, lack of medicine etc) then finally all out survival, and this would happen all within the first 30 days.

Why destroy a country when you can get a country do it to itself, then you go in as the heroes bringing supplies, restoring utilities etc.
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
katilea

Re: WW3 - logic

Post by katilea »

Are you saying it's not likely then?

My post seems to have been closed, but seems others are still allowed to discuss possibility of WW3? Mine was considered as entering the realms of fantasy, (though personally I think its more likely than a 'zombie apocalypse') and I'm checking everyday to see if there's anything recent on the chances of Putin starting a nuclear (or cyber) war.

Besides isn't the WHOLE POINT of a preppers forum that you are preparing for (and discussing what to do) in the event of different scenario's? some like the end of the world and zombies which are highly unlikely! To be honest we're more likely for Putin to wait until a really busy time to target UK's power supplies with a cyber attack - like Easter coming up and if we do get snow and freezing temps (AGAIN!!!) what a perfect time (from his viewpoint) to choose to throw the country into chaos by targeting our power and water systems! It may only be a cyber attack rather than a nuclear one but still many people could and probably would die (think how many people head away for Easter with caravans etc and the last periods of snow has shown people don't all have the common sense to stay at home even if snow and ice is forecast!).

I'm still researching myself and found people wearing white in hiroshima had less burns etc than people wearing darker colours. Think I mentioned it in one of my posts about possibility of white reflecting radiation more than absorbing it, and saw mention of people being told to paint white paint on their windows to reflect radiation. It seems even the special radiation suits online don't protect from absorbing 'gamma rays' and some are costing over a thousand pounds. Maybe it would be better to try and REFLECT as many rays as possible? By wearing white head to toe too?

I found a white tent that has a very dark black out lining (inside..commonly used as sensory areas for disabled kids) I was wondering if this would offer a bit more protection than hiding in a wardrobe or under blankets in the hall? As firstly the white would hopefully reflect off radiation that made it through the walls into the hallway and secondly it would have a thicker lining inside of the tent because of the 'blackout' element of it? so be 'denser' than a regular tent material? I'm also thinking of foam floor mats that fit together like jigsaws. (I have some I'd got to make a play area for my dog when we was a puppy) and whatever books i have, to line the inside of the tent, though I don't have many books to be honest. I tend to read ebooks cos its easier to enlarge the print and set a brighter backlight/contrast.

My only other thought of an hiding place was the small cupboard in the hall but it has the mains electric panel in there and my worry would be fire and being trapped in there if it caught fire, though it gives me extra walls between me and the outside walls (the doors are wood). I'm not convinced sharing a tiny space (and it is tiny could only sit with my back against the wall, couldn't lie down in it even without the dog in it with me too) with an electrical box would still be safer than in the hallway in a larger white tent with thicker material. I'd be worried about running out of air in there too with the doors closed to stop radiation coming through.

My other thought was to using the cupboard but having the doors open so more blankets etc could be draped over the the top of the open doors, a small tent may then fit from the back of the cupboard out lengthways across the hall towards the radiator on the opposite wall. Radiator is metal right? from viewpoint of radiation passing through both the wall and then metal would that offer more protection? .. other things could be placed next to the ends of the opened doors to drape covers over to extend the den right up to the opposite wall. There's still the issue of the mains electrical box been on the back wall of the cupboard and me then being closer to the front door than if we were further up the hall.

I've got more food in anyway including extra cold food incase of power cuts but also because we have the snow forecast for up to 2 weeks over Easter up here, so even without Putin misbehaving we have potential of powercuts and me not being able to get out for a week or more!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

katilea wrote:Are you saying it's not likely then?

My post seems to have been closed, but seems others are still allowed to discuss possibility of WW3? Mine was considered as entering the realms of fantasy, (though personally I think its more likely than a 'zombie apocalypse')
Your thread had entered the realms of fantasy not to mention farce. As none of us know the layout of your house, your wittering about which cupboard to hide in is more for your benefit than anyone else. This thread isn't another opportunity for your choice of cupboards, the OP was giving his version of the logic behind a nuclear strike.

Oh and while a nuclear attack is more likely than a zombie apocalypse they're both still very unlikely. Good luck with the cupboards.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Right, I think we've suffered enough.

Katilea, without putting too finer point on it, this forum is not your personal sounding board for fantastical ideas and frankly a lot of people are fed up with your constantly reminding us you're disabled and deaf and living alone,you are not the only disabled on the forum, but you seem to think you need tell us in every post, it's got old we don't need to hear it again.

People here have bent over backwards to try and help you in the past and many have spent a long time doing your research for you but still you don't read the replies, or acknowledge their help.

Finally, please do not take this thread off into lala land as it too will be locked.

Oh and having a bash at the mods and the forum is no way to maintain your membership. You have been warned.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

And back to the OP. I personally doubt there would ever be a nuclear strike, not of the Hiroshima or Nagasaki kind, but the possibility of an air strike resulting in EMP to me makes more sense if one were to happen at all.
Just so you all know. I don't intend checking out my cupboards but I have always wanted an Anderson Shelter :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
farnet

Post by farnet »

Brambles wrote:And back to the OP. I personally doubt there would ever be a nuclear strike, not of the Hiroshima or Nagasaki kind, but the possibility of an air strike resulting in EMP to me makes more sense if one were to happen at all.
Just so you all know. I don't intend checking out my cupboards but I have always wanted an Anderson Shelter :D
Brambles, totally agree.... it's a lot of hype from the cold war, no one want to ever go down that route as the outcome for all can only be catastrophic, maybe when we have a city on Mars..... but not in our lifetime.

The more realistic events are things like Solar flare EMP (exactly the same outcome as the air detonation of a low yield device), mutating flu virus or other viruses hybridising, accidental nerve agent release (bit too close to home that one), or a tectonic plate shift causes either earthquakes or eruptions.

When something will happen is the point in question, it is an absolute certainty that a solar EMP will happen in the next 100 years, but that all depends on the magnitude, and to be honest all the others it will be a surprise and no matter how much preparation you make, you will have to be very lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you see it) to be in a situation to use any of your preppers stuff.

Saying that though, I am here for the simple reason most are, and that is to ensure that we have equipment available for the more mundane encounters, IE fuel shortages, power outages, bad weather. in those circumstances all what we discuss here becomes extremely useful and practical.

I must admit I like to talk about Zombie outbreaks, if only to wind up my more conservative relations and neighbours, and because as far as I'm concerned its already happened..... look the Houses of commons and lords for example....... people in the walking dead are more realistic and alive

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

No politician bashing please.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Brambles wrote:And back to the OP. I personally doubt there would ever be a nuclear strike, not of the Hiroshima or Nagasaki kind, but the possibility of an air strike resulting in EMP to me makes more sense if one were to happen at all.

We could have a party in the shelter. An end of the world party! :lol:
farnet

Post by farnet »

itsybitsy wrote:No politician bashing please.
not even a generic one.... :D ?

I think most of the politicians themselves would agree in some part to my cynical observation.

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

farnet wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:No politician bashing please.
not even a generic one.... :D ?

I think most of the politicians themselves would agree in some part to my cynical observation.
It's nothing personal. Over the years we've had some pretty unpleasant arguments erupt over the P word and various politicians. It may seem a bit draconian, but necessary.