So close to SHTF

How are you preparing
BugOut66

So close to SHTF

Post by BugOut66 »

I was talking to a mate the other day who is also quite preppery minded and we both couldn’t help but dwell on the effect “beast from the east” had.

This is now a few weeks later and shops are still recovering.

It was only 3 days.

3 days!!

Can you imagine if something, weather or otherwise took out transport or energy for even jus a week?

I am now seriously upping my game. As mentioned in another thread, I am now good stockpiling, has stockpiling.

What else should be on my lists?
pseudonym

Re: So close to SHTF

Post by pseudonym »

Money, money money...

Enough in your pension

Enough in the bank to pay for redundancy/bills for 1/2 a year

Enough at home to pay for emergencies

Enough in your wallet/purse for a month

When you have that in place they become interchangeable.

The amounts will depend on your personal circumstances.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Only you will know your requirements, do you think a couple of weeks of food is enough ? Have you got enough fuel to cook for that length of time, do you have the condiments to make dull food interesting, especially if you have kids. Have you got enough oil etc. Have you got enough water or the means to make good water.....

These are the requirements for the basics if things go seriously wrong, maybe 2 weeks doesn't seem long enough, only you can decide. There's no one size fits all with prepping, 2 different people might look at my preps, one goes "wow, so much", the other might think "Is that it ?".

Have a think about what your requirements are, how many people, what do you think is likely to happen (assuming its a SHTF situation and not another short term issue like the recent bad weather). As Pseudonym says, money goes a long way, at least initially, people will still value currency hoping that normality will be restored. Things could get VERY expensive though so cash will still be handy. It might be boring but stop and make a plan, what are YOUR requirements, are there any medical issues to consider, if the power stopped NOW, how would you cope and if you can't what can you do to remedy it. Its unlikely that any of us are fully prepared, we can only go with what we think might happen, even then money and real life gets in the way so we do what we can, its taken me a good while to get to where I am, again, its maybe too much or not enough, who knows.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

pseudonym wrote:Money, money money...
I'd second that.
Clear as much debt as possible to reduce out goings, manage the incoming as closely as possible and build up a cushion preferably in cash and close to hand . It might not be as sexy as gear but it is very versatile , it can buy food , fuel , pay for emergency lodging . Having that cushion then pays dividends in that it's possible to build up food stocks by buying in bulk which in itself can save yet more money.
A fair bit of my work is outside and dependant on the weather and as we know pity much the whole of the year so far has been indifferent at best and bloody awful at worst. I have been able to organise a certain amount of internal work but there have been a number of days where such a thing hasn't been possible and being financially secure has mitigated the worst of it all.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Learn how to do things too. Learn how to bake bread and then you don't need a freezer full of it, you only need some bags of flour. Learn how to make soup. Learn how to repair shoes, daft things like that, for the times when there is no money..
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Learn how to do things too. Learn how to bake bread and then you don't need a freezer full of it, you only need some bags of flour. Learn how to make soup. Learn how to repair shoes, daft things like that, for the times when there is no money..
I'll second that. Times when there was no money have been many!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I think the conclusion to be drawn here is preparation in depth , not concentrating on just one thing. Food stocks are great but far less so if you're forced out of you home because you can't pay the bills , money is great too but if the shop shelves are empty , all that dried food is great but if the water is cut off or contaminated...
Well you get the picture.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Whilst I agree Money is important, I have to say ensuring your pension is stocked up is probably the worst thing you can do with your money RE: a SHTF situation, Private pensions are not great investments at the best of times and are mostly inaccessible except for very limited circumstances and even then you'll only get it trickled back.

In fact I would go as far as to say most Private Pension plans are a Con
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Seminole wrote:Whilst I agree Money is important, I have to say ensuring your pension is stocked up is probably the worst thing you can do with your money RE: a SHTF situation, Private pensions are not great investments at the best of times and are mostly inaccessible except for very limited circumstances and even then you'll only get it trickled back.

In fact I would go as far as to say most Private Pension plans are a Con
What if, by some mracle the faeces doesn't interact with tbe whirly thing and you live to a ripe old age with minimal pension. You could be skinf for a long time.
hobo

Post by hobo »

And get your health and teeth in order! :D