So close to SHTF

How are you preparing
Seminole

Re: So close to SHTF

Post by Seminole »

You did read my post? I made no statement that money was unimportant, rather I criticised the use of a pension to do so.
Think about it, something bad happens (is that not what is in the title of the thread? SHTF) Pensins are next to useless in such situations, barring a few clauses you will have little chance of getting anything back except as a long term trickle which doesnt cover the SHTF scenario very well
My view may differ but it is based on painfull experience, Pensions make lots of money but only for Pension companies, there are far better ways to invest and prepare financially
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Different strokes for different folks, Seminole.
Not so long ago we had a chap on here pointing how stupid we all were for not having as big a pension pot as we could afford. Like then, I will point out that we all prep in our own way, the best we can with what we have.
Some of us here have a belt and braces approach to our retirement. Pensions, precious metals, savings in the bank or under the mattress, I imagine all these possibilities are being utilised.
If your bag is not having a pension, good for you, I hope you're happy with your alternative arrangements, maybe at some point in the future you could share with us your preparations for old age and if you feel the need to point out your thoughts about pensions, great, just don't expect us all to agree with you or take your advice under consideration.

Back to the OP. This is just one of many reasons I have what I have. Unfortunately we have a very sensitive distribution system these days and much like a house of cards it is totally reliant of every phase working correctly. It's not just the big stuff like utilities,banks and the NHS getting cyber nuked that could cause major problems, but a couple of supermarkets or larger logistics firms being attacked could cause mayhem, especially now so many supermarkets have diversified into other business.
Like the OP I noticed how quickly things disappeared off the shelves, not just the usual suspects, but fresh food of all description(obviously) and many other staples. I would have been interested to see how the wholesale cash and carry warehouses looked too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Like the OP I noticed how quickly things disappeared off the shelves, not just the usual suspects, but fresh food of all description(obviously) and many other staples. I would have been interested to see how the wholesale cash and carry warehouses looked too."

Couldn't agree more, the shock most people will feel if the distribution system fails for even just a few days will be huge. The vulnerability of such large centralised systems if a cyber attack hits will be all too apparent, very quickly.

Today's announcement of Sainsburys merging with Asda being a potential case in point and recently the failure of Kentucky to get their products into the stores was interesting to watch. I can remember the fuel strike / shortages at the pumps n ot so many years ago, people panic very quickly when their day to day view of reality if disrupted.

No amount of cash is likely to help if the SHTF though, I can't see us selling any of our food or fuel stocks for paper money.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote:"Like the OP I noticed how quickly things disappeared off the shelves, not just the usual suspects, but fresh food of all description(obviously) and many other staples. I would have been interested to see how the wholesale cash and carry warehouses looked too."

Couldn't agree more, the shock most people will feel if the distribution system fails for even just a few days will be huge. The vulnerability of such large centralised systems if a cyber attack hits will be all too apparent, very quickly.

Today's announcement of Sainsburys merging with Asda being a potential case in point and recently the failure of Kentucky to get their products into the stores was interesting to watch. I can remember the fuel strike / shortages at the pumps n ot so many years ago, people panic very quickly when their day to day view of reality if disrupted.

No amount of cash is likely to help if the SHTF though, I can't see us selling any of our food or fuel stocks for paper money.
This is where the term SHTF is so woolly, if the SHTF 'thing' is short term then it conceivable that money would still retain its value for when things are back to normal and opportunists might well sell things at inflated prices. If the SHTF thing is an end of days then it would be different. Which one would be more likely, who knows.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! :lol: SHTF.That term can mean so many things to so many people.It's all about scale.For many preppers,that will mean something like,total social breakdown or absolute financial meltdown.However,there are peppers like me, for whom SHTF seems to be every other week! :lol: things like disruptions in pay,the heating going wrong in sub zero conditions or being ill or injured and unable to work,etc.etc.

I personally feel that the latter type of SHTF is actually what happens in real life,and preparation for that will really help if something big were to happen. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

^^^^^ Wot he says.