chances of WW3?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: chances of WW3?

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
korolev wrote:The early warning system was the WB1400. I was, for a while, the point of contact for getting people out to repair them. One day I had a phone call from a police inspector asking if I was the man who controlled the Isle of Wight. When I confirmed that I was, he said "Thank christ for that, the siren on top of Newport town hall has been going off for the last two hours"
I imagine their phones were a bit busy that day.

Wonder how many people were ripping their doors off :o

Is this some kind of urban slang ????? :lol:
diamond lil wrote:Does anybody else think the world is turning into Monty Python? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The world would be a better place if it was. :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yea you're right, at least we'd laugh more!
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

katilea wrote:
I might well take a bottle of brandy behind the sofa with me! ...but I believe in fate..if I'm meant to survive it I will and if not I won't. I do admit the thought of me surviving alone and my dog not making it and my bro not making it (as he'd only blood family I have left everyone else has passed) and left totally alone is scary. Think I'd rather be on the 'other side' with my family and doggies at rainbow bridge! But we've got so many guardian angels up there I'm kind of half expecting some kind of magic shield over the house, so as luck would have it it just misses the area we're in! :lol:
I get the feeling your really worried about this and maybe over thinking it? Being a prepper giving up shouldn't be an option, we should fight to survive to the last tin of beans ;)
Being honest the chances of an all out war is very remote, I suspect we're more at risk from Deeps zombie hoards. :)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

katilea wrote:ok this is my last question about den's 'just incase' but I was deciding where the dog would do his business if we camped in the hall and looked in the spare room, as its already piled high with stuff! Would this make a better den? There's a small window in but I have the black slate slab (that I got to stand an electric 'log burning effect' fire on) that would be thick... if I put a rug or very heavy throw against the glass then put the slate slab against that? there's also some old white boards propped up in that window frame behind the curtains.

I could then get someone to hang a duvet from the curtain rail and move the thick heavy dog treadmill (at far right of pic against wall) in front of the window blocking more of the window?

Rearrange a few boxes stand rollators/walking frames/old clothes horse on them for height to drape throws over I've got loads of throws that I had to cover the old sofabed I had for years! some very thick throws and a very thick fake fur electric blanket overblanket (even if there was no electric and it wasn't plugged in the thick material may offer protection and keep the den cosy if used on the 'roof'

My dogs crate is already on the inside wall against the door with loads of stuff piled in front of it (between the crate and the outside wall including a wardrobe) and top so he should be safe? unless it being a metal wire one would be a problem?

I wondered if this would be a better idea? as the room isn't used and is only a 'store room' anyway it can be set up in advance as my 'WW3 den' to dive in, if things did take a turn for the worst? I can crawl and slide along the floor on my knees so I could leave my wheelchair outside the spare room door and crawl into the den made between all the boxes and the dog go in his crate? My emergency supplies of food are already stored in there too! I could just take a small kettle in incase there was working electric then I can also make hot drinks/hot water bottles and quick foods that need only water? (pot noodles etc). If there's no power I've got all my food together that could be eaten cold. The dog's extra bags of kibble are already in there, so no trying to slide along the floor dragging 12kg food bags out and into a tent!

Sorry, tried to upload pics to show you but it won't accept any says there all too big (only taken with mobile phone) iphoto seems to only have a crop function to remove most of photo rather than make whole photo smaller?? ..so I don't know how to make them smaller than 1 mb or something? ..but hopefully you can get the idea from my description that its a small room piled high with stuff, with potential to block the smaller window with slate, whiteboards, rugs and duvets and a treadmill.
Theres a free program called eazy thumbnail by fookes software, it's quick and easy to use, and it'll do batches. Handy for the odd quick resize of for galleries for a webpage. I've used it for years for a quick shrink for something like this.

https://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails
katilea

Post by katilea »

Thanks but it says its windows and I'm on a Macbook. Anyone know if there's anything similar for Mac or how to do it on iPhoto?
katilea

Post by katilea »

sniper 55 wrote:
katilea wrote:
I might well take a bottle of brandy behind the sofa with me! ...but I believe in fate..if I'm meant to survive it I will and if not I won't. I do admit the thought of me surviving alone and my dog not making it and my bro not making it (as he'd only blood family I have left everyone else has passed) and left totally alone is scary. Think I'd rather be on the 'other side' with my family and doggies at rainbow bridge! But we've got so many guardian angels up there I'm kind of half expecting some kind of magic shield over the house, so as luck would have it it just misses the area we're in! :lol:
I get the feeling your really worried about this and maybe over thinking it? Being a prepper giving up shouldn't be an option, we should fight to survive to the last tin of beans ;)
Being honest the chances of an all out war is very remote, I suspect we're more at risk from Deeps zombie hoards. :)
I really do hope you're right! but this post was made in response to someone else saying they wouldn't want to be one of the few survivors. I was saying I could see their point of view. I do believe in fate but at the same time would do as much as I could to survive, especially as I have a dog here dependent on me for survival too.

Given my physical difficulties and no-one else having chance to reach me without putting their own lives in danger, (thats providing I was indoors and already happened to have the TV on to see the warning) my only chance would be to be exceptionally organised as there's no way I'd manage to build a den myself in 4-5 mins if we're given little or no notice. ..so I'm just trying to work out what my options would be but don't really understand nuclear radiation ... eg is it more important to be in a room with no windows even if you were only in a tent and to have a rooms distance between you and outside walls/windows? ..or would being in the same room as a window be ok if the window was blocked and the den was surrounded by more boxes with a wardrobe (that would be against an outside wall but the wall was under a car porch behind bins) you could hide in for the first 48hrs?
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

I think you probably have to look at it in terms of what you can feasibly achieve in the 30 mins or so you would have until the fall out reached your area (if it was going to at all) and just accept that that is all you will be able to do. You won't be able to seal yourself off completely from the fallout, you just need to try and prioritise what will be most affective in the time frame you have. If it were me in your situation Katilea, I would try to seal as many windows as possible, make your makeshift den with your sofa giving you a good wall which you can balance a roof on (mattress maybe?). You will need water, food and a bucket for as many days as you can practically fit. 30 mins would go by pretty quickly so you probably wouldn't be able to get anymore done so I wouldn't worry about it. Although it's advised that you should not leave the house for at least 14 days unless told otherwise, after 2 days you can venture further into your house to retrieve additional supplies, especially if one of your priorities was to seal up your windows etc. I hope this helps?

In my own situation, assuming I had some warning, I would grab food/water/bucket/other things for sanitation purposes/bundles of clothes and dump them in my daughters bedroom. This room has one very small window and is surrounded by thick stone walls. I would then use duct tape to affix anything I had to hand to cover the windows and outside doors and plug any other gaps I could find. I would have the family shelter in my chosen room under the cabin bed having shut all internal doors. if there was any extra time I would collect secondary items such as extra blankets, shut my livestock indoors etc.

This is just something that I have in the back of my mind, I don't expect to ever need to implement it and, therefore, its not a priority from a prepping perspective but if it gives you peace of mind to just have a plan formulated in your head then its worthwhile.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

katilea wrote:Thanks but it says its windows and I'm on a Macbook. Anyone know if there's anything similar for Mac or how to do it on iPhoto?
Sorry Katilea didn't know you were on a mac. Which version of Iphoto do you have?
For 11 google gives these instructions (I don't have iphoto)

"To resize a photo in iPhoto '11, select the photo or photos you want to adjust and click on the File button from from menu bar. Then choose Export or hit Command-Shift-E. In the Export window, choose File Export, which lets you adjust the size of the image. Your options are small, medium, large, and full-size".

As for sheltering I'd go for a room and block up the window best you can, the blast may break the glass but if you can seal it up with say plastic and ducktape (or something better) that should keep a lot of fallout out. You can get film that sticks to the glass and helps keep it in place, another option might be to either replace the glass or fit polycarbonate sheets inside the window (think home made double glazing) Poly wont shatter like glass and is VERY tough. But keep in mind you need to have in fitted in some way that you can take it down if you need to use the window to escape say a fire.
The thicker the cover of your shelter area the better, dense items are best, books bedding anything to help stop or slow down any radiation.
As I said, the chances of you needing it are pretty unlightly.
katilea

Post by katilea »

sniper 55 wrote:
katilea wrote:Thanks but it says its windows and I'm on a Macbook. Anyone know if there's anything similar for Mac or how to do it on iPhoto?
Sorry Katilea didn't know you were on a mac. Which version of Iphoto do you have?
For 11 google gives these instructions (I don't have iphoto)

"To resize a photo in iPhoto '11, select the photo or photos you want to adjust and click on the File button from from menu bar. Then choose Export or hit Command-Shift-E. In the Export window, choose File Export, which lets you adjust the size of the image. Your options are small, medium, large, and full-size".

As for sheltering I'd go for a room and block up the window best you can, the blast may break the glass but if you can seal it up with say plastic and ducktape (or something better) that should keep a lot of fallout out. You can get film that sticks to the glass and helps keep it in place, another option might be to either replace the glass or fit polycarbonate sheets inside the window (think home made double glazing) Poly wont shatter like glass and is VERY tough. But keep in mind you need to have in fitted in some way that you can take it down if you need to use the window to escape say a fire.
The thicker the cover of your shelter area the better, dense items are best, books bedding anything to help stop or slow down any radiation.
As I said, the chances of you needing it are pretty unlightly.
AAH is that why they say to go in a room with no windows? because of the danger of the blast sending glass back into the room on you?...(I thought it was cos radiation could travel through glass/walls!) so what if I hid in the hall first until after the blast, then if no windows were broken or one room had survived without a broken window I could move into there before 'fall out'?

One guide recommends density and distance (from outside is important) but if the ash/dust is the bit that's radioactive and its outside your house and there's no dust inside your house, then why is it not safe to move out of the 'den' for 48hrs? I can't see my dog staying put behind the sofa 48hrs and him not needing to come out for the loo. I thought if we at least had space for him to play like the whole of the hall was 'safe' it would be easier but
my other thought was if the fine dust can like fall through cracks between tiles on the roof then the hall although it has no windows, (the front door does have a glass panel in though) has more possibilities of dust getting through because of the attic trap door and where carbon monoxide and smoke alarms have been fitted in the ceiling?? ..whereas the other rooms bedroom, spare room, lounge have solid ceilings, no holes have ever been drilled in them (unless you count the light fitting).

The bedroom has the largest amount of glass right in front of the bed because its a fire door with glass panels down each side of the door (one wide door rather than 2 smaller 'french door' style) It only has tab top curtains. The lounge has blinds AND thicker suede material curtains, a wide window but not long like the bedroom door.. spare room has a smaller window that could be much more easily blocked and left like that as the room is only used for storage as I said and there's also a wardrobe in there that could be emptied and made into a den and my dogs large wire crate thats also covered and at the far end near the inner wall (hallway on other side) the wall behind his crate and the wardrobe is the outer wall thats under the car porch with the bins along that wall... usually if it snows (fine snow) it doesn't blow back that far so whether radioactive dust would I don't know? The front door (on side of house) is also under the car porch area...so hopefully no radioactive dust would be directly outside the front door or along that wall.

The wall the window is on, (in spare room) is facing the back garden. I would imagine dust would fall in the garden but my garden is surrounded by other houses and gardens so maybe the intensity of the radioactivity would be less if it hit their properties first (depends which way winds blowing)

The lounge window faces the road, no houses directly opposite (just a grass area people walk through with their dogs) front is open plan so no protection from fences though there is a large hedge. Kitchen has 2 windows and smoke/carbon monoxide detectors and an extractor fan thing on ceiling so I wouldn't camp out in there incase dust could potentially get into the kitchen from any of them. Its more open to the elements on that corner as the windows are more exposed due to the open plan driveway (car porch doesn't reach right to front of house)

Sorry its so long I'm trying to work out scientifically which would be the safest place to hide if I had to.
unsure

Post by unsure »

might sound daft , but if you think your home could end up contaminated , have you considered what i would think as the safest option , a nbc suit and gas mask . that way it wouldn`t make any difference , apart from the flying glass ect . the dog could be in his cage down any passage way you have .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .