chances of WW3?

How are you preparing
xplosiv1

Re: chances of WW3?

Post by xplosiv1 »

unsure wrote:might sound daft , but if you think your home could end up contaminated , have you considered what i would think as the safest option , a nbc suit and gas mask . that way it wouldn`t make any difference , apart from the flying glass ect . the dog could be in his cage down any passage way you have .
if your going that route make sure you have enough filters for a minimum of 3 days ..... most nbc filters are only good for 12 hours use
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

katilea wrote:
AAH is that why they say to go in a room with no windows? because of the danger of the blast sending glass back into the room on you?...(I thought it was cos radiation could travel through glass/walls!) so what if I hid in the hall first until after the blast, then if no windows were broken or one room had survived without a broken window I could move into there before 'fall out'?

One guide recommends density and distance (from outside is important) but if the ash/dust is the bit that's radioactive and its outside your house and there's no dust inside your house, then why is it not safe to move out of the 'den' for 48hrs? I can't see my dog staying put behind the sofa 48hrs and him not needing to come out for the loo. I thought if we at least had space for him to play like the whole of the hall was 'safe' it would be easier but
my other thought was if the fine dust can like fall through cracks between tiles on the roof then the hall although it has no windows, (the front door does have a glass panel in though) has more possibilities of dust getting through because of the attic trap door and where carbon monoxide and smoke alarms have been fitted in the ceiling?? ..whereas the other rooms bedroom, spare room, lounge have solid ceilings, no holes have ever been drilled in them (unless you count the light fitting).
Distance is your friend.

The further you are away from a detonation, the better off you'll be.

Less radiation, less flash burns, less blast damage.....

In this case thickness is your friend.

Radiation can travel through walls, steel, glass, dirt, everything including lead. The more barrier you put between you and it the less reaches you. Then the "half life" of the particular device comes in to effect.

Then time is your friend...

The longer you stay inside away from the radiation the better off you'll be.

Think of a nuclear detonation like a xray at hospital. Xrays are a weak form of radiation, ok for the occasional broken arm or tooth, but build up and it's not fun, hence the dosometers and the doctors and nurses have the aprons.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If the Russians ever do nuke us, you'll all be all right anyway. The nuclear bases are up here in Scotland, where the uk govt carefully put them. I'll go first :mrgreen:
katilea

Post by katilea »

diamond lil wrote:If the Russians ever do nuke us, you'll all be all right anyway. The nuclear bases are up here in Scotland, where the uk govt carefully put them. I'll go first :mrgreen:
Isn't there one on the Yorkshire Moors? I'm sure I remember seeing those buildings that look like giant golf balls when we used to go up to Ilkley to visit an auntie.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:If the Russians ever do nuke us, you'll all be all right anyway. The nuclear bases are up here in Scotland, where the uk govt carefully put them. I'll go first :mrgreen:
I might be on the 'Moscow List' here in the Midlands,as there is a major food storage building in my back garden! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

katilea wrote:
Isn't there one on the Yorkshire Moors? I'm sure I remember seeing those buildings that look like giant golf balls when we used to go up to Ilkley to visit an auntie.
I think your thinking of fylingdales? thats part of the early warning radar, and linked to two other bases, one I think is in Alaska, and the third in Norway or Greenland, somewhere like that anyway.
katilea

Post by katilea »

pseudonym wrote:
katilea wrote:
AAH is that why they say to go in a room with no windows? because of the danger of the blast sending glass back into the room on you?...(I thought it was cos radiation could travel through glass/walls!) so what if I hid in the hall first until after the blast, then if no windows were broken or one room had survived without a broken window I could move into there before 'fall out'?

One guide recommends density and distance (from outside is important) but if the ash/dust is the bit that's radioactive and its outside your house and there's no dust inside your house, then why is it not safe to move out of the 'den' for 48hrs? I can't see my dog staying put behind the sofa 48hrs and him not needing to come out for the loo. I thought if we at least had space for him to play like the whole of the hall was 'safe' it would be easier but
my other thought was if the fine dust can like fall through cracks between tiles on the roof then the hall although it has no windows, (the front door does have a glass panel in though) has more possibilities of dust getting through because of the attic trap door and where carbon monoxide and smoke alarms have been fitted in the ceiling?? ..whereas the other rooms bedroom, spare room, lounge have solid ceilings, no holes have ever been drilled in them (unless you count the light fitting).
Distance is your friend.

The further you are away from a detonation, the better off you'll be.

Less radiation, less flash burns, less blast damage.....

In this case thickness is your friend.

Radiation can travel through walls, steel, glass, dirt, everything including lead. The more barrier you put between you and it the less reaches you. Then the "half life" of the particular device comes in to effect.

Then time is your friend...

The longer you stay inside away from the radiation the better off you'll be.

Think of a nuclear detonation like a xray at hospital. Xrays are a weak form of radiation, ok for the occasional broken arm or tooth, but build up and it's not fun, hence the dosometers and the doctors and nurses have the aprons.
Wouldn't 'slate' help to slow it down if I put the big slate slab against the window? Also being in a tent gives you an extra layer of fabric that could be covered with blankets.

My worry about the hall would be not being able to cover the attic trap door with a bin liner and tape or something to stop dust coming through,as I can't climb a ladder. and whether smoke detectors/light fittings need covering (around the base) for the same reason.

Behind the heavy sofa may work but its a huge heavy corner sofa and whether I'd be able to move it in time would be the issue, the sofa would need to be half way across the room to give us space behind it putting us nearer to a window than if we were in the hall. Same with spare room we'd be nearer to a window, but if dust could drop down through attic and through any gaps around the trapdoor straight into the hall, we're doomed in the hall too!!! ...unless we were in a fully enclosed tent.

I did think of those radiation screens hospitals use, but the companies seem only to sell to like army and hospitals and would be really expensive to buy 4 to have around a tent! I googled 'radiation tent' too and again they are huge the type designed to be put up outside for army to work within etc. Not found a little pop up 2 man 'radiation tent' yet!!

Where do I find the space suit thingies? Do they do child size ones to adapt one for the dog? and would we have to keep them on for 2 weeks if my area was affected?
katilea

Post by katilea »

sniper 55 wrote:
katilea wrote:
I think your thinking of fylingdales? thats part of the early warning radar, and linked to two other bases, one I think is in Alaska, and the third in Norway or Greenland, somewhere like that anyway.

ah yes probably! so thats the bit that makes the sound? must be loud for the entire country to hear it from there!!!

so if there's a warning and I hide then I've no broken windows at all and I don't see any flash or bangs or no dust does that mean I was too far away and its safe to come out? or should I still hide and wait at least half an hour to peak outside to if any dust falls? (bear in mind I can't hear a radio so unless we still have power so I can turn the telly on and they weren't bombed, I'm gonna have to guess?)

Think Govt should come up with some guidelines to help deaf that haven't time to get to family or hearing family can't get to them, maybe text messages for each stage....hide low, don't move, 'move now and get to a shelter before fall out you have X amount of minutes' etc.

I saw one paper report govt taking over phones and blocking outgoing calls to keep for emergency services so maybe they should be responsible as family would be unable to send text messages to tell me whether its safe or I need to stay in for 48 hrs or 2 weeks, depending on whether we got fall out.
Last edited by katilea on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I think the rough rule of thumb is to give it 48 hours after a blast (minimum) then ideally wear protection if you go outside, a waterproof jacket and trousers, wellies and gloves a good dustmask and goggles are way better than nothing if you haven't got NBC kit.
In an ideal world you'd bin the clothes, shower to help decontaminate yourself when you got back into a safe area but not your shelter room, but thats easier said than done. :)
katilea

Post by katilea »

sniper 55 wrote:I think the rough rule of thumb is to give it 48 hours after a blast (minimum) then ideally wear protection if you go outside, a waterproof jacket and trousers, wellies and gloves a good dustmask and goggles are way better than nothing if you haven't got NBC kit.
In an ideal world you'd bin the clothes, shower to help decontaminate yourself when you got back into a safe area but not your shelter room, but thats easier said than done. :)
I was more thinking of just peeking through a window quickly to see if there was any dust in the garden! Would it look like sand, yellow colour? hope its not white and comes when its snowing!!! ... me and the dog have been outside playing snowballs already,, least thats what I hope it was!!! :o :lol: (joking.. I'm fairly sure it's snow!)

I have got waterproof jacket/trousers for walking dog in rain cos I don't like those roofs/sides that cover scooters.(though probably be safer enclosed in one of those!) and wellies and thicker 'ski type' gloves... no goggles ...(have sunglasses?).. what type would I be looking for? Not sure what a dustmask is? something that looks more like a balaclava or something? .. borrow the dogs bandana (clean) to cover mouth/nose? that what you mean?

Incidentally you can get get 'doggles for dogs', little boots and 'snow suits'... would they offer him protection if he really needed to toilet outdoors cos he wouldn't go indoors? (ONLY after the initial 48 period and ONLY under car porch IF it was completely clear from dust) I wouldn't leave the house until I was absolutely positive we had been out of range and there was something on TV confirming this/ still had power/managed to contact family to ask or bro had come over to let me know it was safe to go about as normal or saw people walking about out front.

It's more that my dog has been so well trained NOT to go indoors I don't think he would, but in very bad weather I do just clip his extending lead on, sit in doorway and he runs across drive to fence opposite , quick wee or poo then runs back in, that's as much as I was thinking..quick 2 mins.. if he had dog boots on I could take off at the door before he goes back in and a coat on. ..going to look for my older dogs really thick snow coat..luckily they were the same size! .. she also wore boots on her back feet when her back end started going and started dragging her feet abit so have boots already that would be ok to just nip under sheltered area for a quick wee. we definitely wouldn't be doing any walkies until I was ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE it was safe to venture out further than the car porch!

I might looks at getting a space suit thingy.. anyone got links to proper name and where they'd sell to general public?