chances of WW3?

How are you preparing
katilea

Re: chances of WW3?

Post by katilea »

Clarebelle wrote:Katilea, I found this pamphlet a good easy one to look into the basics of the different aspects of nuclear bomb survival, it was published by the Canadian government. I think it gives a good overview and is easily understood http://www.preppers.info/uploads/11_ste ... rvival.pdf
Thanks I'll have a read!
katilea

Post by katilea »

well after reading this one http://www.atomica.co.uk/main.htm I'm doomed as it seems your safety entirely depends on you hearing sounds from the radio to know when you have heard an attack warning, a fall out warning or the all clear sound. whilst I'd hear some sound from a radio on I'd never heard these sounds when I was hearing so have no memory of what they may sound like to distinguish one from the other or to be able to work out what a news person was saying.

I thought I'd read in Japan they took over mobile phones and texted warnings as well as broadcasting it on TV (and radio)?

That also seems to suggest that the better place would be the hallway, though I'm not sure if dust could fall through the attic trap door into the hall? or is more likely to get in through there than through a solid ceiling or window that was well blocked/insulated? My front door however is at the side of the house and under the car porch area so if it wasn't really windy and blowing directly through there, that may offer a bit more protection at the front door than the back?

Unfortunately I don't have a dining table either to use as a basic den to hide under and cover and can't imagine how I'd keep a large active dog in there for 2 weeks whose used to 2hrs plus exercise and mental stimulation a day. Even on a rainy day he at least as the run of the house to play such as hiding treats in each room and playing ball in the hallway!! :shock: Can't imagine what it would be like for those who have very young kids and babies!

Would a pop up tent with blankets over it and surrounded by boxes or something offer any protection? ..really not sure how I'd manage the 'making the den' part! ..so unless crawling behind the sofa would help looks like it would be 'hello Rainbow Bridge' ..but at least we'd be with our special girl again! (my first assistance dog and soul mate who helped me train my current dog up).
jansman

Post by jansman »

katilea,I would truly not worry,and calm down.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

MAD still applies, I doubt if anyone other than a rogue state like NK or Iran would used a nuke. As mental as Putin is he also knows that if he attacks the west with nukes or even just the UK our response would also see many Russian cities converted into radioactive glass. anyway most sides nukes are now nearly ( not all i accept that) Sub Kiloton AIR burst weapons so if you survive the blast there wont be hardly any fallout to worry about, but the EMP will be a bugger to deal with.
jansman

Post by jansman »

preppergb wrote:MAD still applies, I doubt if anyone other than a rogue state like NK or Iran would used a nuke. As mental as Putin is he also knows that if he attacks the west with nukes or even just the UK our response would also see many Russian cities converted into radioactive glass. anyway most sides nukes are now nearly ( not all i accept that) Sub Kiloton AIR burst weapons so if you survive the blast there wont be hardly any fallout to worry about, but the EMP will be a bugger to deal with.
Putin is up for re election right now.I was not aware that he was deemed ' mental'.It would appear to most that he is being a politician.

You have been asked NOT to isolate and insult political figures.We need to remain objective.

Robert Frost.

Me.
katilea

Post by katilea »

Would something like this that just pops up as you unzip the bag offer any protection if it was covered with blankets?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-MAN-PERS ... xy~dNTIJJh

There are some with UV Protection and double thickness material I don't know if they would offer more protection from the dust? ..or whether they'd 'pop-up' in the same way or be more like a traditional tent. (I did used to go camping many years ago so know in theory how to put one together I'm just not sure with my current mobility issues I'd physically manage one that required poles threading through the canvas etc, especially in under 4 mins!

If I could move the sofa enough to put it between the sofa and the indoor wall? then chuck blankets over the top (using the sofa too to take weight from the blankets too) or just pop it up in the hall keeping all the room doors closed so there's no windows. I could using the shower curtain trick or old broom handles hang a duvet in cover at the door and put something heavy against it? maybe electric indoor chair so I could then pile more boxes up on the seat against the door? (have to hope nobody knocked on it or it would take me ages to answer!!! :lol: ..but I'm assuming everyone else would be making a den in their houses too!

Not sure what MAD refers to? EMP is something that stops electronics working? I know there's not much I could do if it happened but if a £40 pop up tent would give me more peace of mind or protection it'd be money well spent! ..and if no war happens I can always use as it as new garden ball pit for the dog in summer! He needs a new one anyway his other one is looking a bit tatty! :lol:
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Oh to heck with this you lot are so politically correct, diverse, inclusive I give up .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

preppergb wrote:Oh to heck with this you lot are so politically correct, diverse, inclusive I give up .
You've got to hate people who don't want to offend eh ?
jansman

Post by jansman »

preppergb wrote:Oh to heck with this you lot are so politically correct, diverse, inclusive I give up .
We are objective,NOT subjective.If you don't like the rules,leave the pitch!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:
You've got to hate people who don't want to offend eh ?

Thinking Monty Python again here " Excuse me is this the right room for an argument?"

I'm sure the prospect of another cold war would be quite desirable in certain circles but they don't really want WW3 s it's bad for business ;) and it's the chances of it are certainly not worth falling out with anyone here over.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.