Close combat self defense

How are you preparing
Casso

Re: Close combat self defense

Post by Casso »

Having done a few martial arts before (Karate, Tae Kwan Do, Boxing, BJJ), I’d say BJJ is the best for fitness all-round and if you’re going to end up on the ground or want to end up taking someone there in a fight.

All i’d say is, don’t mistake sport BJJ for combat BJJ! Whilst sport BJJ can obviously give you some skills in avoiding certain circumstances or in gaining an upper hand over an amateur, ultimately there are less complex and more effective BJJ methods that will give you the last laugh.

I believe in doing a strike sport too, because avoiding getting into a situation on the ground in the first place, should be your highest priority in what could be a life or death situation (afterall, we’re talking hostile SHTF situations).

I’ve done a few months of Gi BJJ and I’m going back from an injury soon - making a move into No-Gi BJJ, so that it relates more to real-world combat situations and the use of limbs, rather than the Gi.

If you live in Cardiff, I recommend Rob Taylor’s Cardiff BJJ Academy. I haven’t personally tried CF24 BJJ, so I couldn’t give my opinion there. Not sure there are any others.
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

Unite interesting reading through the thoughts on those who have martial arts experience.

I am a 1st Dan black belt in Judo, and after 12 years of competitions, coaching, training, and running a club I’d say that I am heavily biased towards this sort :D

The main reason is that although it isn’t a self defence art in the standard way, thetransferrable combat skills of control, perception, grappling, technique etc all feel very useful for any situation a confrontation may occur.

I’m currently thinking of starting a striking form in the next year, been jumping in my head between boxing and Muay Thai for a while now.

Oh and I will also note that I have done boxing for a few months, and bjj again for a few months!

-L
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We have just finished a six week basic course with these guys.

http://www.suffolkstreetdefence.co.uk/

It's as realistic as it can be and very "hands-on".
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
ian2509

Post by ian2509 »

I do very much see the point in this post, I dont want to do the whole I am thing. But truth is I am quite well trained in unarmed combat ranging from MMA to Judo. Although if im totally honest I have very rarely used what I know in a real life situation. Mostly for fear of getting done over for excessive force ect. Im definitely a big fan of just walk away if possible even if it puts a big dent in your pride, however it would be even more relevant in a SHTF situation as you would be risking injury unnecessary.

That said if you are put in a corner or have little ones to protect running away will not be an option. This is where you have to adopt a strike first policy, if you feel that the situation is heading that way.

Could you? Would you? Food for thought.
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

As much as the physical side of self-defence/martial arts seems impressive, there's a lot to be said for the conflict resolution side way too, knowing how to talk to people, how to react to threats, the threat of force etc can be far more useful than being able to give someone a kicking.

A few years ago a good mate of mine, recently divorced, was on his way home when a young lad initially asked for a light, so as he was fishing for his lighter, lad pulled a knife and ordered his wallet, my mate, always a calm headed chap, told him:

'you're a cheeky f***er, kid, i've just got divorced and i've got f**k all worth taking, you know what? you'll be doing me a favour, stick it in'

the lad called him a f***ing dick and ran off!

Muggers and bullies are cowards, the moment they see you're scared and going to back down they know they're in control, on the other hand, give them a laugh and ask if their mum still buys their pants for christmas, while not backing away, and you've got a different situation.
People who need to shout, puff up their chest, stand with their arms out like they're carrying a carpet under each arm aren't tough, they're insecure and scared, if you know how to deal with that, you'll save yourself a lot of problems.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be able to handle yourself, and perhaps the knowledge you can gives you that calm confidence, but being able to knock someone down mentally is far more powerful than being able to do it physically.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

yorkshirewolf wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:55 am As much as the physical side of self-defence/martial arts seems impressive, there's a lot to be said for the conflict resolution side way too, knowing how to talk to people, how to react to threats, the threat of force etc can be far more useful than being able to give someone a kicking.

A few years ago a good mate of mine, recently divorced, was on his way home when a young lad initially asked for a light, so as he was fishing for his lighter, lad pulled a knife and ordered his wallet, my mate, always a calm headed chap, told him:

'you're a cheeky f***er, kid, i've just got divorced and i've got f**k all worth taking, you know what? you'll be doing me a favour, stick it in'

the lad called him a f***ing dick and ran off!

Muggers and bullies are cowards, the moment they see you're scared and going to back down they know they're in control, on the other hand, give them a laugh and ask if their mum still buys their pants for christmas, while not backing away, and you've got a different situation.
People who need to shout, puff up their chest, stand with their arms out like they're carrying a carpet under each arm aren't tough, they're insecure and scared, if you know how to deal with that, you'll save yourself a lot of problems.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be able to handle yourself, and perhaps the knowledge you can gives you that calm confidence, but being able to knock someone down mentally is far more powerful than being able to do it physically.

Very true... Good few years ago I was biking home from the pub my chain snapped so I had to resort to pushing the bike .... Coming across a domestic she was giving as much as he was walked past ignoring them

The eternal "What you looking at?!"

"Nowt mate I've been to see a mate had a few beers I'm off home to bed"

At this point he decides to focus on me with her trying to hold him back was a good 10m space I'd created

No way I was abandoning my bike propped it up against a fence he's still closing usual "hard man" gums bumping

I took the snapped chain off the bars wrapped it round my hand didn't back off or advance .... His face changed his voice lost some of its aggression... He slowed his advance but he kept coming...

At which point I went full on verbally combative telling him exactly what I would do.. telling him to bring it on and I've not put anyone In hospital for 6 months and my suspended sentence had run out....... (BS but it really made him think) Then started whipping the chain round my head grinning like a moron .... Think Martin Riggs off lethal weapon

With that he turned and run off with her in hot persuit .....

30 seconds later panda car pulls up along side me... Quick chat they were on radio to CCTV ( I recognized the voice of the camera operator (old school friend). "cyclist was the one been threatened" and off I went as they shot off down the street Mr angry had gone
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine