What i am prepping for and why.

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What i am prepping for and why.

Post by itsybitsy »

Anyone care to steer this thread back on track now? Thanks.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:The peace won't last, you'll end up with all out warfare between the norf Lahndun coop and the sarf sahndun coop. That other lot a bunch of slaaaaags innit.
Well...when I was considering what to do with the bodies, I did originally think that the most logical place to dump them would be the East End. Nothing political in that, simply that it's downstream of The Thames thus protecting our water supply. It's also the most likely area to flood badly given that the Thames Barrier will no longer be operative. Though I suspect the folks in Essex and Kent may not appreciate this act! The survivors would relocate to the west and possibly the more hilly north if flooding is an issue. Though there will be pockets (myself included) who would prefer to stay in the south on a hill. I kind of envisaged a loose collection of pockets - hence I named it New Londinium Co-Operative rather than just New Londinium :D I guess it all depends on how many survivors we have: alas Briggs' premise did not specify the percentage dead!

Arguably, though, the same will be true everywhere else in the country: each pocket of survivors warring with their neighbouring pockets over resources and old simmering resentments. To think that country folk will all live in harmonious unity whilst only the cities will burn in civil war is a fallacy. I suspect the Yorkshire/Lancashire border may resemble the Khyber Pass, and Hadrian's Wall will get refortified! ;) This is, of course, the classic post-apocalypse scenario. Will we all be reduced to a Mad Max world? I don't know. Possibly initially, but the Mad Max lifestyle cannot be maintained for long. We all need water, food, clothing and other stuff to support life (and I'm not including guns, ammo, petrol, cigarettes, alcohol, chains and lots and lots of black leather under "stuff" despite the fact that in most post-apocalypse films that is all the bad guys seem to live on!) and that doesn't happen if you're constantly at war. I rather see it settling down to occasional minor skirmishes, but mostly an entente cordiale with your neighbouring pockets.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

itsybitsy wrote:Anyone care to steer this thread back on track now? Thanks.
Sorry....I was already writing my response when you posted this and I didn't see it. I will post no more!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Sorry....I was already writing my response when you posted this and I didn't see it. I will post no more!
Do a different thread, you know you want to! Great riff on the post-apocalypse for London :)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I think it's gone so far off track, we're right in toontown and there's no going back! :shock: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Diza_925 wrote:Currently in the uk we have many threats. A backlash against the government (civil war), war from foreign parties, and war against isis. All show a great possibility of happening in this current generation.
I believe that one of these possibilities is going to happen soon, and with force!
So I have started my kit, a hatchet firesteel, knife, food supplies, an air rifle and ammunition.
I have been studying gutting and preparing different animals, as well as foraging.
Our plan is as soon as a major kick off happens, jump in the car and get to windamere, I believe this is the best place as it is a small town and their is plenty of countryside and woods to survive off, I have located several bunkers that are accessible and 3 of them are dry in the area! The toughest part of the plan is perpairing my son (5yo), however my wife also has the same feeling as me that something will happen.
Although a lot of preppers do not like discussing their plan I do think that we should make a map of bunkers or accessible buildings where we can meet in our community and have planned trading places, if shtf we will need places to trade food and weapons and water etc!
If I may be permitted to draw together the shattered threads of this...um...thread....I guess what the New Londinium riff points out is that if you're going to bug out to wherever you're going to bug out to, you have to absolutely certain that your chances of survival (you and everyone you take with you) AND your quality of life whilst you are there, are greater out there than they are staying put. If they are equal, then it is better to stay put: better the devil you know. And to be absolutely certain of this you have to think seriously about what the possibilities and probabilities are in BOTH places. It is all too easy simply to assume that urban = bad, rural = good. But that is undoubtedly not true, both have good points, both have bad. You also have to forget about the sci-fi fantasy of films and books and look at human nature, your own and others, and at history (i.e. how people have behaved in the past when these events have overtaken them) in order to come up with what you genuinely think is likely to happen (nothing, of course, is 100% certain). Do not assume the worst, do not assume the best. If you bug out you also have to consider what you're going to do 2 weeks / 4 weeks down the line when the stuff you have taken with you runs out and you are forced to reintegrate with local communities - which in fairness Diza does point out in his last sentence - as no man is an island and once past the initial "whatever" you will need to be part of a community.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Before the Great Urbo-Rural War escalated to near flashpoint, I was going to comment on the OP's plan just for a bit of discussion and perhaps make the OP re-consider his plan.

I was going to ask the OP what logistical planning he had in place to move his family's kit to his chosen bunker in the Lake District. I was considering this from kit weight and portability and their sustainence requirements. I estimated the family's calorie and water requirements, plus the bare minimum of kit required to survive and I came up with a total weight of 150kg to 175kg for 72 hours based upon what my kit weighs. 72hours is about right for the OP to be able to get the basic lie of the land and start supplementing food supplies with the small prey he can hunt with his air-rifle.

I don't think the OP mentioned if he was ditching his transport, but for security, he'd not want to leave tracks to the bunker, so I'd say it's got to be hidden at least two to three miles away for security. I'd definitely say it's not possible for two adults and a small child to move unseen from where they leave their transport and cover two miles on foot across-country into an elevated lakeland location carrying 150 kilos and the OP needs to think a bit more about his plan.

Leaving kit in the transport and doing multiple trips while one person stays on guard would be somewhat like that puzzle involving a man using a very small boat to transport across a river a chicken, a fox and a bag of grain.

But what do I know, he may have ten years supplies there already.

Anyway, that's maybe got the thread back on track.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors