What i am prepping for and why.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What i am prepping for and why.

Post by Deeps »

Like a lot on here, I don't really see these extreme scenarios happening. Its fun to speculate though. ;)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Plymtom wrote: on the whole tough I think I'd rather be rural like yourself, there really is something attractive about your own little patch of woodland as an escape from the world as it is these days, not so much because TS may HTF but simply to separate from the madness which is pretty constant :lol:
As you say something appealing about having one's own bit of woodland , assuming of course that it's left alone. On another forum I use one poster lives close to the Greek/Bulgarian border and as the Greek economy has gone south he has told us how people were using wood as a fuel in preference to buying in other fuels. As a consequence he has said how trees had started to disappear as people grab what they can.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Deeps wrote:Like a lot on here, I don't really see these extreme scenarios happening. Its fun to speculate though. ;)
Has the OP been back on?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Plymtom wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I think I've stumbled upon the reverse-exodus-paradox.
When we start talking worst case it really does hit home just how bad things could get, and how it could all too easily be the exact opposite of what we initially imagine, for us the getting home if things ever go south whilst we are out, in particular if they do so when we have gone in the car burdened down with toys we would then have to get back with even if the car couldn't.

As to the hoards of rural invaders or returning townies, I think either way by that point as you say there would be considerable health hazards from bodies yes but also failed sanitation and no waste collections, our own dependence on the NHS means we would be in the proverbial PDQ in any case, on the whole tough I think I'd rather be rural like yourself, there really is something attractive about your own little patch of woodland as an escape from the world as it is these days, not so much because TS may HTF but simply to separate from the madness which is pretty constant :lol:

I'm sorry, it's my own fault, I can't get out of my head the image of people fruitlessly plinking away at cows, we need to drop this what-if scenario and get back to normality!

Getting home is always my focus, my car is packed out with get-home kit as I suspect most on the forum have and you probably have. I don't prep to do anything more than get home, make sure the family can get home and get everyone secure.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
I'm sorry, it's my own fault, we need to drop this what-if scenario and get back to normality.
In some respects I think you're right but then again it can be an exercise in escapism to speculate on the more widely unlikely scenarios . I'm never going to go into space but that doesn't stop me watching Star Trek and the like. I suspect most of us on here are more rooted in normality but if all the threads were "normal"and "everyday" we'd probably just have a forum of what to do if I get a splinter , puncture , or run out of milk. :D
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Ooh I like Briggs' reverse post-apocalypse scenario!

So...you yokels invading my manor for disinfectant....hmmm... Not that my mind got wandering along these exact lines after watching Survivors (love the episode where they come back to London with the killer rats!)...but...first and foremost...those of us left alive in the big city won't be living amongst rotting corpses. Sorry to disappoint. Neither will we be wading through our own shit. To do either would be suicide - everyone knows this. Organise your local area. Dress appropriately, using JCBs/fork-lift if available and working, and round up the bodies, dump in skips (plenty of those lying around the big city) and burn. Use the valuable petrol - your life depends on those bodies not hanging around. Acid is an alternative though harder to control. Lime (builder's supplies) also good for disposing of bodies and shit alike. However, depending on the scale of death, there may well be some areas of a large city like London where the bodies are dumped...well away from the areas where the survivors live - I'm rather liking the idea of using the M25 then you lot will have to cross the Barrier Of Death to get in! :D

But there will come a point of equilibrium between the living and the dead. That will probably be around the same time you country locals, ravaged by pissed off Friesians, start realising you've run out of Dettol. So...second...it is a fallacy to think there are no gun holders in the city. The Met Police firearms enquiry officers are very busy chaps. Just because we have to drive for an hour before we can legally fire one, doesn't mean we don't have one! Or five. And I'm only talking about the legally held ones here... And we have the high buildings from which to fire upon you peasants...

Third...there will probably be more of us than of you. And we will already have looted all the available Dettol and squirrelled it away. So assuming you've successfully crossed the Barrier Of Death, somehow ducked between our sentries, you're now at the gates of New Londinium Co-Operative...what do you have to barter with? What do you in the country have that we in the city might have run out of? We're growing veggies vertically (think Cuba after the fall of the USSR), we have electricity from solar panels on the roofs, we're harvesting rainfall, we're composting our toilets, we're burning lumber, we have lots of stores which are being replenished by our home-grown, we even have some Friesians looted from Kent giving us fresh milk and the odd steak grazing on Hampstead Heath. So, farm boy, what ya got to offer?
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Oh, right. I see your point :tinfoil
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ignoring who's right and who's wrong I really do have to applaude ukpreppergirl's positive attitude turning a situation to one's own advantage. A lot of those that indulge in these "what if" scenarios almost always shy away from the idea of staying in towns and cities but the picture she paints seems a logical one and in many respects an attractive one too.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
Plymtom wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I think I've stumbled upon the reverse-exodus-paradox.
When we start talking worst case it really does hit home just how bad things could get, and how it could all too easily be the exact opposite of what we initially imagine, for us the getting home if things ever go south whilst we are out, in particular if they do so when we have gone in the car burdened down with toys we would then have to get back with even if the car couldn't.

As to the hoards of rural invaders or returning townies, I think either way by that point as you say there would be considerable health hazards from bodies yes but also failed sanitation and no waste collections, our own dependence on the NHS means we would be in the proverbial PDQ in any case, on the whole tough I think I'd rather be rural like yourself, there really is something attractive about your own little patch of woodland as an escape from the world as it is these days, not so much because TS may HTF but simply to separate from the madness which is pretty constant :lol:

I'm sorry, it's my own fault, I can't get out of my head the image of people fruitlessly plinking away at cows, we need to drop this what-if scenario and get back to normality!

Getting home is always my focus, my car is packed out with get-home kit as I suspect most on the forum have and you probably have. I don't prep to do anything more than get home, make sure the family can get home and get everyone secure.
I'm the same, it actually only dawned on my missus there before xmas when it started snowing how she would get home or what she would do if she got stuck, she works in a hospital about 40 mins from home with no traffic...... she asked me what she should have in the car, my response was "I guess you've never looked in the bag that has been in your boot for the past 12 months then " lol
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:Ignoring who's right and who's wrong I really do have to applaude ukpreppergirl's positive attitude turning a situation to one's own advantage. A lot of those that indulge in these "what if" scenarios almost always shy away from the idea of staying in towns and cities but the picture she paints seems a logical one and in many respects an attractive one too.
It would take strong leadership to organise the scenario she's painting, perhaps ruthless, people generally don't like being told what to do, especially the unpleasant things.