What i am prepping for and why.

How are you preparing
Diza_925

What i am prepping for and why.

Post by Diza_925 »

Currently in the uk we have many threats. A backlash against the government (civil war), war from foreign parties, and war against isis. All show a great possibility of happening in this current generation.
I believe that one of these possibilities is going to happen soon, and with force!
So I have started my kit, a hatchet firesteel, knife, food supplies, an air rifle and ammunition.
I have been studying gutting and preparing different animals, as well as foraging.
Our plan is as soon as a major kick off happens, jump in the car and get to windamere, I believe this is the best place as it is a small town and their is plenty of countryside and woods to survive off, I have located several bunkers that are accessible and 3 of them are dry in the area! The toughest part of the plan is perpairing my son (5yo), however my wife also has the same feeling as me that something will happen.
Although a lot of preppers do not like discussing their plan I do think that we should make a map of bunkers or accessible buildings where we can meet in our community and have planned trading places, if shtf we will need places to trade food and weapons and water etc!
Deeps

Re: What i am prepping for and why.

Post by Deeps »

Diza_925 wrote:Currently in the uk we have many threats. A backlash against the government (civil war), war from foreign parties, and war against isis. All show a great possibility of happening in this current generation.
I believe that one of these possibilities is going to happen soon, and with force!
So I have started my kit, a hatchet firesteel, knife, food supplies, an air rifle and ammunition.
I have been studying gutting and preparing different animals, as well as foraging.
Our plan is as soon as a major kick off happens, jump in the car and get to windamere, I believe this is the best place as it is a small town and their is plenty of countryside and woods to survive off, I have located several bunkers that are accessible and 3 of them are dry in the area! The toughest part of the plan is perpairing my son (5yo), however my wife also has the same feeling as me that something will happen.
Although a lot of preppers do not like discussing their plan I do think that we should make a map of bunkers or accessible buildings where we can meet in our community and have planned trading places, if shtf we will need places to trade food and weapons and water etc!
Last I heard they were pretty much done and anyone who travels abroad to fight either for or against them is in the poo when they come home.
Wood cutter

Post by Wood cutter »

What makes you think that being in the woods will be any safer than simply staying at home?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Diza_925 wrote:Currently in the uk we have many threats. A backlash against the government (civil war), war from foreign parties, and war against isis. All show a great possibility of happening in this current generation.
Why would the Windemerians welcome you in ? If things had gone Pete Tong then you'd just be another face looking to land on their wee corner of the planet, looking to eat their food and use their resources. Don't get me wrong, we love Ambleside (is that where you mean) but put yourself in their position, why welcome outsiders.
Diza_925

Post by Diza_925 »

They wouldn't know I was there that's the point, their is cast country side in the windamere/ullswater part of the lakes. I don't mean to reside in the town just near by, the location I have spotted I have visited quite often and never seen any one in the immediate area!
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Diza_925 wrote:They wouldn't know I was there that's the point, their is cast country side in the windamere/ullswater part of the lakes. I don't mean to reside in the town just near by, the location I have spotted I have visited quite often and never seen any one in the immediate area!
Many of us, some who actually are rural dwellers and others who know many, believe that in practice you'd be in for a shock because for one you're the one in their neck of the woods, you simply do not know if you've been noticed, why would they tell you, wild camper, daft survivalist seeing how the land lies? I know from talking to stalkers that to us it all looks the same, but to them they notice differences they'll know you were there even after you've gone, being familiar with an area takes more than a quick reckie.
I would also add that in the situation we're discussing here many of the locals would be looking to the resources you yourself are attracted to for their own survival, so what it's like now is going to be way different to what it would be like then.
And finally remember that the majority of firearms in the UK are in rural hands, or in hands with access to such areas, plus watch out for the armed trespass element of what you propose, unless TS has truly hit the fan be very careful where you take your airgun.
No one here wants to pee on your fireworks, the area you are talking about probably does offer rich pickings in some ways, but it's a very desperate situation indeed which would make anyone want to go there, without prior knowledge of a catastrophe the getting there ( or for me out of here at all) in such a situation isn't gonna be as simple as jumping in the car and away, in Plymouth there have been a few occasions in the last 40 years when it has snowed, well Plymouth, Plymouthians and those who work here will testify that it becomes total gridlock, think about it, it would be like that everywhere in a sudden crisis, everyone would be trying to get home, top up on supplies, or the odd few bugging out.

We have had one or two over the years who have tested themselves, one in particular in winter conditions, if it's possible to have a wild camping holiday to the area I'd suggest just that, don't take the airgun unless you have permission but do take the family, for if this is the plan you and they need a taste of it, and we want to hear how it goes ;) Like many I'd like to be proven wrong about the running off to the woods bug out scenario, but the only viable ones I've read about are the ones in which the prepper(s) already own the woods and spend a fair bit of time there living in a kitted out container.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I spent close to two years in Bowness which is right on the shore of lake Windermere . I was actually working on the island in the lake which while that might sound a great place to bug out to in reality isn't , practically indefensible and mostly just plain inconvenient not the the intention of Diza is to go there. Would I consider the place for some sort of bug out? At this time of year it's frankly very bleak , cold and it rains a lot so a supply of gas or charcoal would be esssential to conceal any attempts to cook for instance if one isn't going to give one's position away with smoke from wet firewood. Fish and game ( and if things have gone tits up sheep too) are or should be reasonably plentiful.
Might depend just how many people get the same idea , Barrow in Furness is less than 20 miles away , Kendal is in walking distance and there are pretty good motorway links . Still nothing like making plans before hand and that can only be commended rather than leaving it all to the last minute.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I live in the country and we have a rifle. We would struggle to feed many living off the land here. There are few, VERY few game birds about, even the rabbit population is sparce. There is the odd roe deer, it ate my winter broccoli and strawberry plants this year :evil: But given that we are not the only ones living in this area we would have to be very lucky to be the ones to get it as several other people would no doubt be after it too.

I can understand why bugging out to the country appeals to so many but in reality there are far fewer resources to feed a large number of people than you might think. Far better I feel to aim at the self-sufficent life style and use the foraging/hunting as an extra.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Funny how thing play on the mind over the course of the day so I had a little google when I got back home . As the potential threat here is terrorism firstly a list of deaths caused by that ,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/many- ... ttacks-uk/
Then when thinking of running off to the hills I thought I'd google just how many people die of exposure especially seeing as it's cold and wet there at this time of the year ( not that the rest of the country seems much drier this January :roll: ) ,
https://www.theguardian.com/news/databl ... wales-2009
Go down to 46 in the second table.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

In the uk, it is not really an option to bug out if the S hits the Fan for the vast majority of people. Unless you are bugging out to a friend or relative's house. I totally understand Diza about you wanting to be prepared, learning new skills and survival ways - that is definitely a good idea - apart from anything else it makes you feel that you are a bit prepared. The practical thing though is to be prepared in your own home, stocking up and storing, preserving food and stockpiling what you need for a set period of time, and most importantly ensuring an adequate water supply/means of filtration/cleaning water that you can collect. I love your enthusiasm which I don't want to pour cold water on, but take a breath, read round our forums as there is a wealth of info regarding bugging in and being prepared.

The other thing is if you are hell bent on bugging out, then you will need to practice camping out with very little as a means of seeing how you can cope in all weather conditions. My husband, our dog and I went up to Ulswater for a few days of walking last year and tested our walking shoes and gear in torrential rain on harsh terrain and it highlighted a few failings but also showed us our strengths too. How far you can walk in a day, how much equipment you can carry, what is really necessary and what isn't, how cold/hot you got, are your clothing choices up to the task, how your general levels of health are etc etc. Try to imagine living in an area that you may not know that well, with all the locals who do know it like the back of their hand and the various others who have had the same idea as you regarding bugging out. It may be a quick way to a sticky end if you are not careful.

Either way being prepared and thinking about what you may or may not do is really important so it's a good place to start - good for you for thinking about it. Just don't get carried away - stay practical and realistic!
Last edited by PreppingPingu on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)