What i am prepping for and why.

How are you preparing
Plymtom

Re: What i am prepping for and why.

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:
grenfell wrote:Ignoring who's right and who's wrong I really do have to applaude ukpreppergirl's positive attitude turning a situation to one's own advantage. A lot of those that indulge in these "what if" scenarios almost always shy away from the idea of staying in towns and cities but the picture she paints seems a logical one and in many respects an attractive one too.
It would take strong leadership to organise the scenario she's painting, perhaps ruthless, people generally don't like being told what to do, especially the unpleasant things.

Too bloody right! :lol:
xplosiv1 wrote:she asked me what she should have in the car, my response was "I guess you've never looked in the bag that has been in your boot for the past 12 months then " lol
There's a lesson for us all, if you've taken steps like that, best tell them about it.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Absolutely, re-organising life to be the way ukpreppergrrrl is outlining wouldn't happen with a series of polite meetings ... but as a thought experiment, its absolutely brilliant. And its a few years down the line after whatever event, remember ... I do have my doubts that it would happen in London, but it might ... and it would have a much better chance of happening in smaller towns.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I am obviously painting a best case scenario! :D But one which, given the right leadership, is possible. Cities have dealt with plague and mass deaths before, they usually survive, I don't think it will be the bodies or the shit that will be the problem. The thing that humans eventually realise whether they are in a city or the country is that we actually need to work together for any of us to survive. Either that or they dissolve into civil war killing everyone within a short space of time. But the world-wide evidence is that that happens very rarely. I do think it will probably become distinct local areas under a local leader (leader, probably elected, not Mad Max style warlords) simply because co-ordinating an area as large as Greater London under one administration would be very difficult in those circumstances. Assuming enough food can be grown, which, if there has been a significant death rate there will be enough space for, I actually think the biggest threat will be fire. Most people are not used to dealing with real flames. I think there will be a lot of accidental fires which, without a co-ordinated fire service will destroy large areas and with them lives, crops, solar panels and stores.

I think it is very easy for fiction writers to portray piles of bodies, rubbish and rubble as the only future for cities, but I'm not so sure. One scene in Threads (1984) in particular brought it home to me: 20 years after the bomb, people are going in and out of a house that is clearly being used as a pub, climbing over rubble from the collapsed neighbouring building to get to the door. I cannot believe that in 20 years no-one thought to themselves "Ya know what? I'm tired of nearly breaking my ankle just to get me a pint of an evening, I'll just shift these bricks to the side leaving a nice clear path. One morning's work tops." I just don't think people will live like that. It doesn't make sense.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
katilea

Post by katilea »

I'd probably have no choice but to stay put while the rest of the village is either heading further into the wild's to catch food or into town to see what's there!

I'm thinking of adding liquid food to my stores for when food runs out like that 'Huel' stuff or protein drinks and getting in some freeze dried emergency food as looting neighbours houses wouldn't be an option (only a few are accessible to me!)

There is a disabled riding place within scootering distance (or pedalling if I could make it up the hills!) where they sell duck eggs and tomato plants, I'd probably try and get there in the hope someone may take pity and give me some food if they have any spare. Same with the house in a neighbouring village that sells logs, potatoes and eggs (if they haven't already been raided) or the local co-op. (assuming everyone else has rushed to the Asda/Aldi on edge of village or the supermarkets in town!).
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:
grenfell wrote:Ignoring who's right and who's wrong I really do have to applaude ukpreppergirl's positive attitude turning a situation to one's own advantage. A lot of those that indulge in these "what if" scenarios almost always shy away from the idea of staying in towns and cities but the picture she paints seems a logical one and in many respects an attractive one too.
It would take strong leadership to organise the scenario she's painting, perhaps ruthless, people generally don't like being told what to do, especially the unpleasant things.

Too bloody right! :lol:
xplosiv1 wrote:she asked me what she should have in the car, my response was "I guess you've never looked in the bag that has been in your boot for the past 12 months then " lol
There's a lesson for us all, if you've taken steps like that, best tell them about it.
the thing is I did tell her last winter when I put it in, she'd obviously forgotten all about it as she doesn't use her boot for anything. It is a good lesson though preps are only useful if the people that need them are aware of them. I'm sure there is other stuff in the house she has no clue is even there, I'll have to drop some subtle hints over the next few months I'll be in trouble if I showed her everything at once lol.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

katilea wrote:I'd probably have no choice but to stay put while the rest of the village is either heading further into the wild's to catch food or into town to see what's there!

I'm thinking of adding liquid food to my stores for when food runs out like that 'Huel' stuff or protein drinks and getting in some freeze dried emergency food as looting neighbours houses wouldn't be an option (only a few are accessible to me!)

There is a disabled riding place within scootering distance (or pedalling if I could make it up the hills!) where they sell duck eggs and tomato plants, I'd probably try and get there in the hope someone may take pity and give me some food if they have any spare. Same with the house in a neighbouring village that sells logs, potatoes and eggs (if they haven't already been raided) or the local co-op. (assuming everyone else has rushed to the Asda/Aldi on edge of village or the supermarkets in town!).

I have a good stock of freeze dried stuff ..... its not cheap !! but the 25 year shelf life kind of balances out the initial cost and if i never need it I guess in 24 years time I'll have a year with no grocery bills lol.
Area 11

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:
I'm the same, it actually only dawned on my missus there before xmas when it started snowing how she would get home or what she would do if she got stuck, she works in a hospital about 40 mins from home with no traffic...... she asked me what she should have in the car, my response was "I guess you've never looked in the bag that has been in your boot for the past 12 months then " lol
Mrs Deeps knows she has a bag in the boot (and a sleeping bag) but she has no idea what's in it, Knowing its there is a start though, she can have a rummage. She pointblank refused a stove but that's on her. She does hoist in some of the stuff I've told her, again, if its a stressful situation she might not recall it. You can only do so much I suppose.
katilea

Post by katilea »

xplosiv1 wrote:
katilea wrote:I'd probably have no choice but to stay put while the rest of the village is either heading further into the wild's to catch food or into town to see what's there!

I have a good stock of freeze dried stuff ..... its not cheap !! but the 25 year shelf life kind of balances out the initial cost and if i never need it I guess in 24 years time I'll have a year with no grocery bills lol.
Where did you get yours from?
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

katilea wrote:
xplosiv1 wrote:
katilea wrote:
Where did you get yours from?

link below to the last place I bought from, took about a week or so for delivery from memory.

http://www.emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/
Area 11

xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

just remembered I got a discount code in an email last week "NYNP18" should get you 10% discount.
Area 11