What i am prepping for and why.

How are you preparing
Briggs 2.0

Re: What i am prepping for and why.

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Ooh I like Briggs' reverse post-apocalypse scenario!

Third...there will probably be more of us than of you. And we will already have looted all the available Dettol and squirrelled it away. So assuming you've successfully crossed the Barrier Of Death, somehow ducked between our sentries, you're now at the gates of New Londinium Co-Operative...what do you have to barter with? What do you in the country have that we in the city might have run out of? We're growing veggies vertically (think Cuba after the fall of the USSR), we have electricity from solar panels on the roofs, we're harvesting rainfall, we're composting our toilets, we're burning lumber, we have lots of stores which are being replenished by our home-grown, we even have some Friesians looted from Kent giving us fresh milk and the odd steak grazing on Hampstead Heath. So, farm boy, what ya got to offer?
Hmm, solar panels that are grid connected don't work off-grid. Don't take my word for it, erm....this is from your blog. Just a note: the Tie-In solar panel systems you may see on peoples’ roofs are not off-grid systems. Firstly they don’t even work if there’s no mains electricity, they switch off!

I'm a dumb-ass redneck, rooting, tooting, shooting, good ol' boy so my 3KW solar panel array is grid-connected and also diverted to fused circuits in my home, 240V and 12V. I know a thing or two about trees, lumber, aquaponics, rainfall harvesting and cows too......no wonder y'all wanna come here when times get tough. Yee Hah!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:

Third...there will probably be more of us than of you. And we will already have looted all the available Dettol and squirrelled it away. So assuming you've successfully crossed the Barrier Of Death, somehow ducked between our sentries, you're now at the gates of New Londinium Co-Operative...what do you have to barter with? What do you in the country have that we in the city might have run out of? We're growing veggies vertically (think Cuba after the fall of the USSR), we have electricity from solar panels on the roofs, we're harvesting rainfall, we're composting our toilets, we're burning lumber, we have lots of stores which are being replenished by our home-grown, we even have some Friesians looted from Kent giving us fresh milk and the odd steak grazing on Hampstead Heath. So, farm boy, what ya got to offer?
Hmm, solar panels that are grid connected don't work off-grid. Don't take my word for it, erm....this is from your blog. Just a note: the Tie-In solar panel systems you may see on peoples’ roofs are not off-grid systems. Firstly they don’t even work if there’s no mains electricity, they switch off!

I'm a dumb-ass redneck, rooting, tooting, shooting, good ol' boy so my 3KW solar panel array is grid-connected and also diverted to fused circuits in my home, 240V and 12V. I know a thing or two about trees, lumber, aquaponics, rainfall harvesting and cows too......no wonder y'all wanna come here when times get tough. Yee Hah!
The grid connected systems rely on the mains supply for them to synchronise and hence feed back into the grid. If there is no mains, the inverter will have nothing to synchronise to and will stay in shut-down (safe) mode. Hence you will have no power from your panels.

Off-grid systems provide power to batteries, and the power inverter then runs from the batteries. These systems do not need to synchronise with the mains and will hence operate completely independently.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

xplosiv1 wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:

The grid connected systems rely on the mains supply for them to synchronise and hence feed back into the grid. If there is no mains, the inverter will have nothing to synchronise to and will stay in shut-down (safe) mode. Hence you will have no power from your panels.

Off-grid systems provide power to batteries, and the power inverter then runs from the batteries. These systems do not need to synchronise with the mains and will hence operate completely independently.
Check out solar diverters....
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Hmm, solar panels that are grid connected don't work off-grid. Don't take my word for it, erm....this is from your blog. Just a note: the Tie-In solar panel systems you may see on peoples’ roofs are not off-grid systems. Firstly they don’t even work if there’s no mains electricity, they switch off!

Who said the panels in my scenario were tie-in? The ones on my car port are off-grid connected to a battery bank :D

However, that does cause further speculation on my post-apocalytpic utopian city state scenario...given that there are quite a lot of tie-in solar panels on roofs in London, come the great apocalypse, how feasible would it be to sever the tie-in panels from their mains tether so that they can be pressed into service as off-grid panels? Feeding car/lorry/UPS batteries (not ideal I know but we are in a desperate post-apocalypse situation here!). I'm sure I read somewhere when originally looking at this that tie-in panels are at odd voltages compared to off-grid panels but a quick google isn't coming up with the answer. Presumably a suitable charge controller (and/or a leccy savvy person who can adapt them) would work though?

BTW...everyone on this forum would be welcome in New Londinium Co-Operative :D Valuable assets each and every one :ugeek:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Who said the panels in my scenario were tie-in? The ones on my car port are off-grid connected to a battery bank :D

However, that does cause further speculation on my post-apocalytpic utopian city state scenario...given that there are quite a lot of tie-in solar panels on roofs in London, come the great apocalypse, how feasible would it be to sever the tie-in panels from their mains tether so that they can be pressed into service as off-grid panels? Feeding car/lorry/UPS batteries (not ideal I know but we are in a desperate post-apocalypse situation here!). I'm sure I read somewhere when originally looking at this that tie-in panels are at odd voltages compared to off-grid panels but a quick google isn't coming up with the answer. Presumably a suitable charge controller (and/or a leccy savvy person who can adapt them) would work though?

BTW...everyone on this forum would be welcome in New Londinium Co-Operative :D Valuable assets each and every one :ugeek:
This wouldn't be in a 'Walking Dead' Terminus way would it ???? :shock:
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:This wouldn't be in a 'Walking Dead' Terminus way would it ???? :shock:
Hmm...well now you mention it quite a few have described themselves as "a large chap" so....who knows?? Many mouths to feed and not everyone is satisfied with carrots... :twisted: Mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Deeps wrote:This wouldn't be in a 'Walking Dead' Terminus way would it ???? :shock:
Hmm...well now you mention it quite a few have described themselves as "a large chap" so....who knows?? Many mouths to feed and not everyone is satisfied with carrots... :twisted: Mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!
This large chap will give it a miss then.

xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:Hmm, solar panels that are grid connected don't work off-grid. Don't take my word for it, erm....this is from your blog. Just a note: the Tie-In solar panel systems you may see on peoples’ roofs are not off-grid systems. Firstly they don’t even work if there’s no mains electricity, they switch off!

Who said the panels in my scenario were tie-in? The ones on my car port are off-grid connected to a battery bank :D

it's not very complicated at all any competent electrician can do it but the problem you would have in your post apocalyptic Utopian society would be like you say charge controllers and a good supply of batteries.

you might want to move your Utopian society to Sheffield, they already have a 2 Mega Watt Lithium titanate battery :lol:
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

xplosiv1 wrote:it's not very complicated at all any competent electrician can do it but the problem you would have in your post apocalyptic Utopian society would be like you say charge controllers and a good supply of batteries.

you might want to move your Utopian society to Sheffield, they already have a 2 Mega Watt Lithium titanate battery :lol:
Ooh that's almost worth moving Oop Norf for!

Given the number of Chelsea Tractors alone in London (seriously...I'm starting to think we have all the frickin' Land Rovers in the country here! All pimped out and not a splash of mud on any of them. I mean I know Barnes is by the river with the Wetland Centre and all, but a snorkel on a pristine Defender that is only used for the school run? Really?), and every mini-cab is a Toyota Prius, and all the electric Boris Buses, I think we'll have enough batteries to get us through even if not all are ideal. Hopefully some of the big engineering brains at Imperial and UCL will have survived whatever the mythical apocalypse was, and will be able to adapt the charge controllers. Or just build new ones from scratch. I'm starting to feel confident about New Londinium Co-Operative's future! :D

Edit: Oooh...ooh..oooh!! I completely forgot about all the Tesla cars you see in the more affluent areas! Loads of 'em. And you can bet most of them will have a Tesla power brick at home. And play golf with their 36-hole motorised golf caddies. We're good for batteries! :ugeek:
Last edited by ukpreppergrrl on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

The peace won't last, you'll end up with all out warfare between the norf Lahndun coop and the sarf sahndun coop. That other lot a bunch of slaaaaags innit.