What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
sniper 55

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by sniper 55 »

grenfell wrote:Fair play to anyone who has one of those tools and gets on with it . Personally what puts me off is the design combining a spanner with a blade and a saw. I just imagine trying to turn a stubborn nut and slashing my hand open in the process. I do wonder about the hole to attach it to a key ring for similar reasons. I put my keys in my pocket and having an open blade floating around my pocket would concern me. And being pedantic I really don't class a hole for a key ring as a " function" .
In response to chemistry's question I had to look at the blurb to find the larger round hole with the lines radiating from it is a "direction ancillary finder" evidentially although I note that on some sites they have it down as a "water compass" .
I don't have mine on my keys, the thing has enough sharp bits to be a pain, mine came is a vinyl? wallet thing so it's in my wallet.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

That makes a lot more sense to keep it sheathed , keeps sharp bits away from things that don't need cutting.
As an afterthought does anyone make a version or similar tool where the wallet is metal with all the spanners and bottle openers and the sharp bits are on a separate piece either hinged onto it or slotted inside?
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

grenfell wrote:That makes a lot more sense to keep it sheathed , keeps sharp bits away from things that don't need cutting.
As an afterthought does anyone make a version or similar tool where the wallet is metal with all the spanners and bottle openers and the sharp bits are on a separate piece either hinged onto it or slotted inside?
Not seen one myself. The vinyl thing mine is in hasn't been punctured yet, that said it's in my wallet, in a pocket? Maybe?.
I suspect it would be easy enough to make a simple pouch with thin aluminium or kydex etc for them though.
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Mine came in a leather pouch so I am not worried about it causing an injury. Just a shame they didn't include a description list.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've also got one of these (I don't think I paid as much for it). Similar idea and I've never used it in anger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallet-Ninja-m ... SVQ2MSSDC8
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have one of those - never used it, although it seems sturdy enough.

The prep I've actually accomplished today, is to buy a coat :mrgreen: I'm finally windproof and waterproof again :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

sniper 55 wrote:
grenfell wrote:That makes a lot more sense to keep it sheathed , keeps sharp bits away from things that don't need cutting.
Not seen one myself. The vinyl thing mine is in hasn't been punctured yet, that said it's in my wallet, in a pocket? Maybe?.
I suspect it would be easy enough to make a simple pouch with thin aluminium or kydex etc for them though.

Cheers , I was just thinking aloud really and didn't expect such a thing exsisted. I was thinking more a two part tool rather than a separate metal wallet , something with one part blunt around the edges with all the spanners and screwdrivers on it and a second that hinges out with the blades. Maybe a marketing opertunaty for someone to make and sell to those like me who have images of lacerated fingers :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've never been a fan of multi tools in general

99 times out of 100 you can't get the multi spanner on due to objects surrounding a bolt

A set of folding Alan keys won't turn due to the size of the handle

I'm half happy with a leather man (that said I snapped the pozzi screwdriver on one of them ( they replaced it ok under warranty)

The real hatred stemmed from one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-alien-ii ... ulti-tool/

As you could never get enough leverage or get it in due to frame shape or on a pivot bolt you needed a 4 and a 5mm hex key one to hold and one to turn .. problem is they were both on the same handle .... And the spoke key would turn a nipple a max of 1/4 turn it took ages to adjust a bent wheel

In the end loose hex keys and specific tools packed only fractionally larger but were useable. And stronger...

Testing kit before you Really really need it is a must!!!

Only found that the tool was useless in the middle of the Moors... Fortunately another rider lent me theirs amid lots of cursing ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I must have about 6 sets of those alan key things, metric, imperial, etc ... but I still never have one that actually fits the thing I'm trying to tighten, and as said they are hopeless to turn with 12 other keys falling out. Like trying the wrestle bagpipes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I never really felt the love with my Leatherman tools.They are good,and very well made.However,my 'go to' is always the Swiss Army Knife.I have several,but the 'Hunter' is my EDC,and so useful on a daily basis.I always think of Tom Hanks in ' Castaway',after rescue,looking at a Swiss Arny Knife.You could tell that it would have made a difference to him.I consider them a real life survival tool.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.