What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
jenny1

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by jenny1 »

i'm just starting out, so I need everything! This week I've bought an extra weeks worth of food, a load of spare candles from the sales, spare household stuff and water containers (which I sterilsed and filled up from the tap). I aim to continue in this vain until I feel that I have enough.
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Not been around for a while on here since my mum passed. Thankfully all has been sorted and we sorted the probate in quite a short amount of time.

Looking forward to a fresh 2018 and made a promise to stay a bit more healthy and cut out takeaways...instead I managed to catch the flu the other week. Work is quite adamant I come in still...I hope they won't all complain when they fall sick! :lol:

Christmas bought me a few EDC toys. I got a credit card tool and also a tactical pen (has flashlight and glass breaker).

Have a look at the image of this credit card tool below. From what I can see it has: Can opener, bottle opener, saw, blade, ruler, flat head screwdriver, multi size nut opener, whole for key ring attachment. What do you think the large circle and odd shaped whole next to that is for?
Attachments
51B0cRTcVVL._SX450_.jpg
jansman

Post by jansman »

jenny1 wrote:i'm just starting out, so I need everything! This week I've bought an extra weeks worth of food, a load of spare candles from the sales, spare household stuff and water containers (which I sterilsed and filled up from the tap). I aim to continue in this vain until I feel that I have enough.
That’s the way forward :D Don’t get bogged down with equipment and preppers ‘toys’. When you can run to it though ( or maybe you already own), a camping stove in case of power cuts, and a battery FM radio. Staying informed takes a lot of stress out of situations like power cuts etc.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Appin

Post by Appin »

According to the card with mine

The small odd shape between the large hole and the small hole in the corner is a "2 position wrench" as opposed to the larger one beneath the word Helper which is a"4 position wrench"

The large round whole is for "orientation"

Mine was badged as a Rolson tool.

Appin
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Chemistry wrote:Not been around for a while on here since my mum passed. Thankfully all has been sorted and we sorted the probate in quite a short amount of time.

Looking forward to a fresh 2018 and made a promise to stay a bit more healthy and cut out takeaways...instead I managed to catch the flu the other week. Work is quite adamant I come in still...I hope they won't all complain when they fall sick! :lol:

Christmas bought me a few EDC toys. I got a credit card tool and also a tactical pen (has flashlight and glass breaker).

Have a look at the image of this credit card tool below. From what I can see it has: Can opener, bottle opener, saw, blade, ruler, flat head screwdriver, multi size nut opener, whole for key ring attachment. What do you think the large circle and odd shaped whole next to that is for?
I have a similar-ish from survival aids from many years back, it doesn't have the round thing and has a wire stripper in the oblong box sort of shape. Supposedly magnetic so it can be used as a compass.
Seems pretty tough. The bottle opener and blade are the bits I've used mostly.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I got myself a selection of decent quality split rings to sort out my keyring kit. Some of the ones that came with things were rubbish. So I'm trying to get some sort of order to it (I think it's got a bit out of hand if I'm honest).
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Fair play to anyone who has one of those tools and gets on with it . Personally what puts me off is the design combining a spanner with a blade and a saw. I just imagine trying to turn a stubborn nut and slashing my hand open in the process. I do wonder about the hole to attach it to a key ring for similar reasons. I put my keys in my pocket and having an open blade floating around my pocket would concern me. And being pedantic I really don't class a hole for a key ring as a " function" .
In response to chemistry's question I had to look at the blurb to find the larger round hole with the lines radiating from it is a "direction ancillary finder" evidentially although I note that on some sites they have it down as a "water compass" .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I used one of those credit card multitools to open a Fray Bentos, it did it but it was hard going on the hands.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've got an old P38 can opener on my key ring and to be honest I find it quick and easy to use , plus it raises a laugh ( for me anyway) when someone asks to borrow a tin opener and then seem to be all thumbs trying to use it.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm pretty adept with the tin opener on my SAK, that's my 'go to' when out and about. Wanted to use the multitool to see how effective it was, its not particularly ergonomic but works.