What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by itsybitsy »

I did a booze run to France. Definitely a necessary prep! :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Good drills Itsy.

Been quiet on the overt prepping but started doing the 'man' stuff in the garden so Her Maj can do her thang, should be dry tomorrow so will crack on. Been doing stuff between games of football and half times today. One of the dugs is getting a bit of a chubster and while well walked, they're bored with their regular beat so not as active. Both them and us will be getting out for more long walks, won't do us any harm either. :oops:

Got a wee notion to do some sewing, I keep some basic meds in the back of my 'prepping wallet' and they can get a bit crushed, I've also got some weally ickle tins (someone on here had them and I liked the look) so going to sew a set of sleeves for them so they don't bunch up.

All very rock n' roll here at Casa Deeps. 8-)
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

We've been living off grid for over a month now and I love it, but need to add another item to my stock list, hand cream, yes that's what i need. You definitely do not want a massage from me just now, my hands are like sand paper, the extra rough kind :cry: What with all the washing by hand, scrubbing floors, digging veg plots, gathering wood etc. my hands are showing some definite wear and tear and I don't care. This life style may pall but for the moment I'm finding my stress levels way down and my mood much more consistently chilled, despite the fact that everything is harder work and takes longer to do. I'm living it and I don't really understand why this is, except that doing everything the hard way is infinitely more satisfying. So heavy duty hand cream on my shopping list.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

izzy_mack wrote:We've been living off grid for over a month now and I love it, but need to add another item to my stock list, hand cream, yes that's what i need. You definitely do not want a massage from me just now, my hands are like sand paper, the extra rough kind :cry: What with all the washing by hand, scrubbing floors, digging veg plots, gathering wood etc. my hands are showing some definite wear and tear and I don't care. This life style may pall but for the moment I'm finding my stress levels way down and my mood much more consistently chilled, despite the fact that everything is harder work and takes longer to do. I'm living it and I don't really understand why this is, except that doing everything the hard way is infinitely more satisfying. So heavy duty hand cream on my shopping list.

This stuff

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gorilla-glue ... UQod8KoJ4A
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
omega man

Post by omega man »

izzy_mack wrote:We've been living off grid for over a month now and I love it, but need to add another item to my stock list, hand cream, yes that's what i need. You definitely do not want a massage from me just now, my hands are like sand paper, the extra rough kind :cry: What with all the washing by hand, scrubbing floors, digging veg plots, gathering wood etc. my hands are showing some definite wear and tear and I don't care. This life style may pall but for the moment I'm finding my stress levels way down and my mood much more consistently chilled, despite the fact that everything is harder work and takes longer to do. I'm living it and I don't really understand why this is, except that doing everything the hard way is infinitely more satisfying. So heavy duty hand cream on my shopping list.
I work a very hands on job 5 days a week in all weather and I roll with this. The hemp aspect means nothing to me but I was gifted some and I've got to say it is excellent and pretty well priced to boot.. My hands are often rough and grazed by clocking off time but they're soon soothed/re hydrated..

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/range ... UQodHGoJKQ

OM
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Thanks guys will buy a tub of each and see how they do, it was a prep that hadn't occurred to me which is why I posted it but if we had no power for a long time it is something we'd need to make life easier, sore hands don't work as well as well looked after ones.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

omega man wrote:
I work a very hands on job 5 days a week in all weather and I roll with this. The hemp aspect means nothing to me but I was gifted some and I've got to say it is excellent and pretty well priced to boot.. My hands are often rough and grazed by clocking off time but they're soon soothed/re hydrated..

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/range ... UQodHGoJKQ
+1 for the Body Shop hemp. Dry, cracked skin is a biggie in my family, as are contact allergies with stuff like lanolin, so pots and pots of suitable (i.e. lanolin free, perfume free, petroleum jelly free etc.) moisturiser, hand cream and body lotion are always stocked as I don't fancy seeing out the apocalypse with itchy skin and cracked hands! The Body Shop hemp stuff is seriously good. Messy and smelly - you won't be able to open a jar after putting it on as your hands will be too greasy - but put it on an hour before you go to bed and don't wash it off until morning, it'll plump up your hands nicely in a few days. Particularly good value when it's on offer.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

For the first time in over five years, I have a bank holiday like ‘civilians ‘! Sooo... gonna get squashes, Winter and Summer, started. Got a couple of new ones this year ( thanks Brambles), and I will get the bean fences up. Going for it with dried beans this year, as we use a lot, my wife being semi - vegetarian. Got a borlotti bean to try ( thanks Brambles), which will be useful. I have limited the range of veg this year, and gone for staples like beans , spuds, greens etc.

Later I shall be pickling eggs as the fowls are laying again, and I have bread to go in the dehydrator ,(I get loads from the bakery at work, and I use it for fishing groundbait). Tuesday is fishing day, regardless. Mrs J wants me to start painting the kitchen. No chance! I told her that as a teacher, she gets three blo@dy months a year off work!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The Brambling enjoys his Bank holidays too. He says it's nice to work for a civilised company.

LOL, I'd forgotten about the Eastern Bloc Marrow :D I can't wait to see how it grows over here.
All of my seeds are safely stored for next year. :)

The beans are up that I sowed on the windowsill. It always puts a smile on my face when I see the little spots of green pushing through compost.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Another short term prep. I canned a load of meals for the Brambling for when he's on lates. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon