What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 am I have looked a time or two at those briquette makers.It seems ( to me) a lot of work for mixed results.Now if I could get me one of these:

http://www.briquette-it.com
I think the paper brick topic has been covered umpteen times on various forums and most , myself included , have come to the conclusion that it's frankly a lot of work and mess for a fairly poor return.
It'd be interesting to see how that big contraption in the link produces and what the results are like. I can remember my father talking about coal bricks which when the pits were open around by us were made by mixing coal dust with a little cement ( or at least that's how he said they were made) and sold a tad cheaper than "proper" lumps of coal.
jansman

Post by jansman »

When we first moved here about 30 years ago,we had a very elderly neighbour.He was 93 then,and very frugal in his ways,( he died leaving a mint),and he used to mix coal dust/slack with cement and pack them into 3" plant pots and make briquettes. They worked,but it was a !ot of work.Me? I could not be bothered.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Well, apart from buying an unnecessary Mora, :oops: I've got a bit of dehydrating done. A bit of foraging in a small way and keeping an eye on the local 'crop'. To be honest, everything is on hold for the World Cup, I know its not everyone's bag but at the moment my life is based round it.

Drip feeding a mate about the virtues of having stuff that might be handy too. Mentioned the possibility of some things getting pricey after Brexit. A long range prep that one I'll admit.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brexit is only 9 months away.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I've just been given some green coffee beans that a colleague mistakenly bought (not sure what he thought they were but he nearly broke his grinder trying to grind them!! :-D) so I'll probably be doing a trial roast over the weekend.

"Sumatra Mandheling" is what they're labelled as. I had thought about trying the process as I know that green beans will store way longer than roasted.
Djorn

Post by Djorn »

Just finished the most recent home brew mash. Managed to get 1 gallon of shine from the still at 65% avb. If I run it again I should be able to start bio fuel.....maybe I will just dilute and make Gin :)
A Prepper is for life, not just for Doomsday !!
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Well, we've taken the ultimate prep/lifestyle choice and moved abroad.
We're back in the UK at the mo, have sold the family home and have bought a couple of 2 up 2 down houses which are on the rental market as we speak.
We've moved to Goa, bought a nice but small house, nowt fancy but very nice area. Gated, fenced, security, that type of thing.
Now that we're the wrong side of 50, a healthy and happy lifestyle is the best prep for us, we have it there.
Fishing is ridiculously good, fresh groceries are ridiculously cheap and i've yet to see or hear about an act of aggression or theft.
I miss proper ale, but I can live with that!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 pm Well, we've taken the ultimate prep/lifestyle choice and moved abroad.
We're back in the UK at the mo, have sold the family home and have bought a couple of 2 up 2 down houses which are on the rental market as we speak.
We've moved to Goa, bought a nice but small house, nowt fancy but very nice area. Gated, fenced, security, that type of thing.
Now that we're the wrong side of 50, a healthy and happy lifestyle is the best prep for us, we have it there.
Fishing is ridiculously good, fresh groceries are ridiculously cheap and i've yet to see or hear about an act of aggression or theft.
Good drills mate, went to Goa on one of them black things and really liked the place, glad its going well for you.
hobo

Post by hobo »

BlinkingCory wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 pm Well, we've taken the ultimate prep/lifestyle choice and moved abroad.
Wow, living my dream! Congratulations!!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Well done you! I've got friends who had a place out there, and loved it. They've sold up now, but they're regretting it, I think!