What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote:I never really felt the love with my Leatherman tools.They are good,and very well made.However,my 'go to' is always the Swiss Army Knife.I have several,but the 'Hunter' is my EDC,and so useful on a daily basis.I always think of Tom Hanks in ' Castaway',after rescue,looking at a Swiss Arny Knife.You could tell that it would have made a difference to him.I consider them a real life survival tool.
+1 I'm with jansman. I prefer a SAK over a Leatherman. Horses for courses I guess.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Derv

Post by Derv »

Added a UK fm cb to the shack and tested it across town.
Worked first time, happy days. 8-)
Guinness drinker with a prepping problem.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Joined the union during my lunch break today. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do ever since I started working in my current job. Recent palavers about pensions (we’re gonna get screwed) and a very quietly released project about streamlining processes and saving money (I read this as: we’re going to make people redundant) have concentrated my mind rather about joining. I see this as workplace insurance and access to impartial advice and support when needed. According to what little information has been released, it’ll be a while before any job losses would happen, so in the meantime I shall also be tightening my belt even further than it is - I’ll have a heck of a waist at the end of this! :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hope your job's okay, Mouse! Joining a union can be really useful - the person I used to know who used her union most of all was a peripatetic music teacher, of all things, who taught at four schools - the pay for and holidays for what was in effect four part time jobs, was complicated, to say the least, and the union was a wonderful help.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote:Hope your job's okay, Mouse! Joining a union can be really useful - the person I used to know who used her union most of all was a peripatetic music teacher, of all things, who taught at four schools - the pay for and holidays for what was in effect four part time jobs, was complicated, to say the least, and the union was a wonderful help.
Thank you Arzosah! I’m worrying only because all the other projects like this have come in with massive fanfare, while this one seems to have snuck in under the radar without many people taking notice of it. It’s a case of ‘watch this space’ at the minute, but I’m not confident.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Le Mouse wrote:Joined the union during my lunch break today. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do ever since I started working in my current job. Recent palavers about pensions (we’re gonna get screwed) and a very quietly released project about streamlining processes and saving money (I read this as: we’re going to make people redundant) have concentrated my mind rather about joining. I see this as workplace insurance and access to impartial advice and support when needed. According to what little information has been released, it’ll be a while before any job losses would happen, so in the meantime I shall also be tightening my belt even further than it is - I’ll have a heck of a waist at the end of this! :lol:

I joined my union this last month as well. I've never really been a fan of unions, or really understood them. But like yourself we've been told things are going to be changing soon so I've tried to cover my bases.

On the prepping side of things I've had all my fire extinguishers serviced and topped up, changed out some meds which were going past their date & have been rotating out some water storage to ensure it's fresh.

In other news I am off to France for 5 days on Monday to go on another bimble through the Pyrenees/south of France. Going to be a fun week and a chance to test out my revised BOB.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote:Joined the union during my lunch break today. It’s something I’ve been meaning to do ever since I started working in my current job. Recent palavers about pensions (we’re gonna get screwed) and a very quietly released project about streamlining processes and saving money (I read this as: we’re going to make people redundant) have concentrated my mind rather about joining. I see this as workplace insurance and access to impartial advice and support when needed. According to what little information has been released, it’ll be a while before any job losses would happen, so in the meantime I shall also be tightening my belt even further than it is - I’ll have a heck of a waist at the end of this! :lol:
It is insurance,for sure.My wife is a union rep,and she tells colleagues the benefits,but all they see is the monthly subscription. When SHTF they try to join- but too late! Its nowt to do with politics,its insurance against getting turned over at work.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

In preparation for getting older and in accordance with the instruction of the physiotherapist i am now doing Pilates. Its not as silly as you might think. It really does target muscles that one normally doesn't work and I am still feeling the first one hour workout two days later. It has to be doing me some good if it hurts..... :D
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Looking at Life insurance

After another one that pays me for not dying.

Any suggestions ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: It is insurance,for sure.My wife is a union rep,and she tells colleagues the benefits,but all they see is the monthly subscription. When SHTF they try to join- but too late! Its nowt to do with politics,its insurance against getting turned over at work.
While never having been a member of a union, I'm a massive, massive fan of them. Aye, they've been dicks in the past, but so have employers, the basic idea strikes me as a fundamental cornerstone of being a worker alongside loads of other workers. Just on the off chance that your employer might be a bit of a dick. Apparently it can happen.