What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Ara

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Ara »

Storm Ali brought down some quite large branches so we've been processing them. Small bits have been shredded for mulch and larger bits chopped into logs and stacked for the fire. (Well, for next year really)
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Deeps wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 am
Dave999 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 am

Nice one, thanks for sharing!
I've found the old Corstorphine line nefore, that's a good one to lead me in the right direction to the water of leith.
If you're in the Corstorphine area, Corstorphine/Clermiston hill is a good walk too. If you head out towards Turnhouse there's some nice walks there too. Once you get on the cycle paths you can crisscross the city and you're never far from the road so able to jump on a bus.

I'm getting all misty eyed now. :lol:
I do like Corstorphine Hill! Never walked out by Turnhouse, Camo is the furthest I've been out that way. So many choices! Thanks!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Dave999 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 pm

I do like Corstorphine Hill! Never walked out by Turnhouse, Camo is the furthest I've been out that way. So many choices! Thanks!
The 'gap' between Camo and Turnhouse is full of space, there's a nice folly somewhere about the middle. Not been there in nearly 30 years but there used to be loads of paths to run/walk. If you want to get out of town there's stacks of places, I'm over the bridge(s) in darkest Fife and I'm spoilt for choice, the Ochil's aren't that much further and you can have lots of walking there with no midgies. We really are spoilt for choice. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Forse frost on Monday this week so tonight ive washed the car and given it a blood good waxing ready for winter rain-xed the glass and used anti mist spray inside... found my snow chains (not yet in the car) started adding winter screen wash .. oh and treated myself to some new surge protected jump leads since modern cars have more electronics than nassa and change chucked a can of deicer in ready...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Looking after my feet.

2 pairs of injinji sock liners arrived this morning :)

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Looks like I've secured a new allotment for Her Maj, this one is considerably closer than her current one which will save on time, fuel and hopefully make her go more often so I can get peace. :D

Got a 'gift from the Gods (well council workies) in a load of wood that was cut up after falling from a nearby tree, got it sawn and added to the pile, I'll split it when I can find the inspiration, I don't use that much so it can sit for a couple years if need be.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Gonna have a look around the yard to see if I can beef up security. The elderly in- laws ( who live very close by) got burgled yesterday...we are angry! Don’t see how much more I can do though as it is like a bloody fortress.

Home brew to bottle, and my Christmas ale to brew. Tomato and bean seeds to process for saving. We will gather the last of the polytunnel tomatoes today as well - it’s been a good year. There are eight jars of dehydrated tomatoes on the pantry shelf for Winter use.

Later, I shall split some firewood to last the week, as we are burning now. I don’t make hard work of that these days, and cut it as needed. We have three large log stores all ready and split that we won’t touch, unless I am ill or injured, and it’s enough for four months easily.

After that, I have some new fishing kit to play with! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Lit the fire and burnt in new wicks, purely for research purposes you understand.... :mrgreen:

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I wouldn't put up a picture of our woodburner . One thing we don't seem quite able to do is keep it quite as tidy as yours :oops: We have two wooden fruit crates with logs in but the also a plastic sack , a paper sack with ash in it , a bucket and the assorted paraphanaia of shovels , brushes , cleaners , firefighters and a length of copper tube for blowing through plus some bits of paperwork the good lady wife has dropped there ready to be burnt. It's probably little wonder her sister says it looks untidy.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:15 am I wouldn't put up a picture of our woodburner . One thing we don't seem quite able to do is keep it quite as tidy as yours :oops: We have two wooden fruit crates with logs in but the also a plastic sack , a paper sack with ash in it , a bucket and the assorted paraphanaia of shovels , brushes , cleaners , firefighters and a length of copper tube for blowing through plus some bits of paperwork the good lady wife has dropped there ready to be burnt. It's probably little wonder her sister says it looks untidy.
Sounds like ours! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.