What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Brambles

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Brambles »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:19 am Perhaps not as glamourous a prep as some but the value of having money to fall back on has been brought home recently . Just before the bank holiday I was involved in an accident. Woman in an Audi came round the corner on my side of the road , hit a parked van and then hit mine . I had stopped when I saw her come round the corner. None of that has stopped her trying to blame me for causing the accident . Anyway the damage seemed minor enough to me , part bumper , headlight and wing the assessment has written the van off and I've been offered what is really quite a low price . Ok so we have rejected the first offer but even if they up it quite a bit it's going to cost me to replace the van . As the van is vital to me making a living having no spare to pay for another would have left me in a retry bad position being almost unable to work.
Money . Number one prep in my eyes. Also going to come in handy as my daughter has had her phone stolen as well this week.
^^This! this is why I prep. I hope you get it sorted and the other person gets her comeuppance. I've always thought there's little point in having enough supplies to survive armageddon if you haven't got a pot to **** in today.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Sorry to hear it Grenfell, hope things work out to your satisfaction.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear it, grenfell, hope you didn't get whiplash :(
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

No no whiplash or anything like that although when I called to report the incident seemed very interested if I had any aches or pains that I didn't have before. When I said "no not really " as opposed to simply "no" she jumped on that and even got me to do a few exercises just to make sure. I reckon it must pay them to add whiplash to a claim.
As to the other driver getting her comeuppance it was pretty clear at the time her car was a write off. Sixteen year old Audi , damage to both front corners , lights and bonnet and radiator pissing out.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am No no whiplash or anything like that although when I called to report the incident seemed very interested if I had any aches or pains that I didn't have before. When I said "no not really " as opposed to simply "no" she jumped on that and even got me to do a few exercises just to make sure. I reckon it must pay them to add whiplash to a claim.
As to the other driver getting her comeuppance it was pretty clear at the time her car was a write off. Sixteen year old Audi , damage to both front corners , lights and bonnet and radiator pissing out.
Really sorry to hear about this. Bit of a spur to me to get back with financial preps, been a bit to free-and-easy recently.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Truly sorry about the car crash. It’s wrong that as an injured party , you lose. Plain wrong.

Money is an important prep. It’s not easy getting a stash, but well worth it. When I changed jobs I went from weekly pay to monthly for the first time ever. That meant we went three weeks with no income on my part. Happily, we had enough to tide us over.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am No no whiplash or anything like that although when I called to report the incident seemed very interested if I had any aches or pains that I didn't have before. When I said "no not really " as opposed to simply "no" she jumped on that and even got me to do a few exercises just to make sure. I reckon it must pay them to add whiplash to a claim.
Oh yes no win no fee might be banned but there's still money to be made!!!!

Well this week has been eventful has 2 more fires at work... In light of this work are looking to train people up as in house fire fighters = courses and training / kit...... ;)

Swapped out my cars 2kg powder extinguisher for afff as its warmed up... ( Afff freezes in winter) powder by size has more extinguishing power than afff foam but doesn't prevent reignition experienced that in the past ....

Does picking up a decent vacuum cleaner count as a prep? Good old industrial version of numatics henry on offer in screwfix ...

spent the night vacuuming the house and filled the bloody 9l dust bag! You don't realise how much the old vacuum deteriorates with age .. a 7 year old in the house with athsma makes it a prep in my mind....

We have a hoover whirlwind and the bagless suckers are a pain in the backside.. fllters to remove and wash/ dry silly plastic assembly's and the fact it makes a mess when you detach the cylinder from the machine.. good old hoover bag unclip from the cylinder take outside and drop in the bin!!! £1 per heppa bag is a no brainer!!!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bought a handcrank sewing machine, It was owned from new and hasn't done any real work

A 'Standard Sewing Machine Co" model
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've still got my mother's old hand cranked singer . At some point my father put a motor on it but by pulling off the drive belt and screwing the handle back on I could use it manually again should the need arise.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

grenfell wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 am I've still got my mother's old hand cranked singer . At some point my father put a motor on it but by pulling off the drive belt and screwing the handle back on I could use it manually again should the need arise.
Snap! :P Mine is the same. I've got a box full of assorted feet for it, but am having trouble locating an instruction manual for them.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon