What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
MancLife

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by MancLife »

Will do but I’ll m an old member who couldn’t log back in 😂
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"It needs to crash.My girls cannot afford to buy.I don't care if my value crashes:it is a home ,not the investment most folks seem to think it is.A shelter. "

"Not wanting to get into a brexit argument but there are "experts" who are predicting a drop in house prices once we leave . That's based on the belief the economy will suffer to a degree and less wealth in the system should drive prices down along with fewer people coming into the country lowering demand having a further downward trend. Of course less money in the economy could just as easily mean lower earnings so those "cheaper" house are still as much out of reach."

Assuming that London property prices are effected first, then we are already in a downward trend guys. Personally I'm not convinced that Brexit will have that much extra influence on prices though, the whole market is so screwed already.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -six-years

And watch out up North. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... move-north
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Been sorting out some of the produce from the allotment, Her Maj has blanched some beans and I've vacc sealed them for freezing. Another stab at the homebrew currently being done too. Got a bumper crop of foraged hazelnuts this year and loads of blackberries too.

I've made a big pot of curry sauce, I'm dehydrating some, I'll add ingredients to it as required, the Quorn chicken 'lumps' didn't really work, they were like wee bullets even after a long time trying to rehydrate them so will add veg and whatever to the sauce next time.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

How on earth do you dehydrate curry sauce Deep? :mrgreen:
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Stonecarver wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm How on earth do you dehydrate curry sauce Deep? :mrgreen:
Its the base, its not too runny. :lol: I use a LOT of onions and the spices to taste with just a bit of passata and veggie stock (chicken stock might work better but I'm married to a goddamn hippy :evil: ) so its quite thick. I spread it on a sheet of baking parchment and bang it in the dehydrator. Its the first attempt at just the base sauce and it was more like a leather than my usual stuff so I've peeled it off and put it back in for another zap (40 degree) so I'll let you know what its like when I take it out tomorrow. I like to make sure its uber dry as I'll vacc seal it and if its a goer, some of it will probably not get used for a couple of years, you don't need much anyway.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well got the drill out tonight ...

IMG_20180911_211241791.jpg
We had the "standard" one alarm on each floor (mains powered interlinking) that the landlord legally had to fit...

Speaking to the fire service they recommended one in all rooms bar kitchen / bathroom / garage ..

Well I went one better and added a special rate of rise heat detector in the kitchen
IMG_20180911_213622354.jpg
which monitors the temperature and if the air temperature spikes due to a fire it makes a noise it has a 10 year battery to boot...
https://www.fireangel.co.uk/products/ht-630

(Their reasoning is faster alert time if the fire is in the living room.. and there's a detector in the hall if the door is shut between the 2 rooms the fire has to burn through the door (if the door is well fitting) for there to be enough smoke to set the alarm off

The bedrooms each have a optical alarm now with the standard 9v battery as it's a good kick up the ass to take them down once a year change the battery and vac them clean ..

https://www.fireangel.co.uk/products/sb1-r
Attachments
IMG_20180911_213622354.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Just had a phone call from my pharmacy saying the flu jab has arrived, so I will try and get that done on my way home tonight. Hoping that if I get it done earlier than last year I’ll get over any side effects before work goes mental once all the new students start. Last year I was a spaced out, poorly mess for freshers week which was not helpful.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm How on earth do you dehydrate curry sauce Deep? :mrgreen:
Its the base, its not too runny. :lol: I use a LOT of onions and the spices to taste with just a bit of passata and veggie stock (chicken stock might work better but I'm married to a goddamn hippy :evil: ) so its quite thick. I spread it on a sheet of baking parchment and bang it in the dehydrator. Its the first attempt at just the base sauce and it was more like a leather than my usual stuff so I've peeled it off and put it back in for another zap (40 degree) so I'll let you know what its like when I take it out tomorrow. I like to make sure its uber dry as I'll vacc seal it and if its a goer, some of it will probably not get used for a couple of years, you don't need much anyway.
Thanks for that.Really have to get a dehydrater ;)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Le Mouse wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 pm Just had a phone call from my pharmacy saying the flu jab has arrived, so I will try and get that done on my way home tonight. Hoping that if I get it done earlier than last year I’ll get over any side effects before work goes mental once all the new students start. Last year I was a spaced out, poorly mess for freshers week which was not helpful.
I believe the manufacturers are sprucing up the jab because it worked so little on elderly. One in 10 I think
Again this year I am giving the jab a miss
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm
Btw Deeps what dehydrater do you have
Jansman