What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Stonecarver

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Stonecarver »

For comparison purposes jansman. Village prices North. South. We have been thinking of moving from city to rural
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Just bought 20 5 gallon mylar bags. Now to fill them up
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Maybe that should be received
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:27 pm For comparison purposes jansman. Village prices North. South. We have been thinking of moving from city to rural
Aah,I see.Well,we are in Leicestershire - so we are in the middle! We are ( now) semi rural,as we are being ' developed ' :lol: John's drum is four bed,semi detached with a LOT of ground.In fact,a house is to be built in the garden.That topped £260,000.Our own gaff,over the road is a terraced farmworkers cottage,2 bed,with a HUGE garden,and we are told we could cash it in for £160,000. Its bonkers,the price of houses! And all that ' development ' has elevated us to a so- called ' desirable postcode',yeah right!

Good luck!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:27 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:27 pm For comparison purposes jansman. Village prices North. South. We have been thinking of moving from city to rural
Aah,I see.Well,we are in Leicestershire - so we are in the middle! We are ( now) semi rural,as we are being ' developed ' :lol: John's drum is four bed,semi detached with a LOT of ground.In fact,a house is to be built in the garden.That topped £260,000.Our own gaff,over the road is a terraced farmworkers cottage,2 bed,with a HUGE garden,and we are told we could cash it in for £160,000. Its bonkers,the price of houses! And all that ' development ' has elevated us to a so- called ' desirable postcode',yeah right!

Good luck!
Yup house prices are nuts in a lot of places. I live in a relatively cheap area but not even 20 miles away across a bridge (well 3, we're spoilt for choice :lol: ) House prices are nuts. Rental is even more nuts. So's the price of a pint in a lot places, its not right but it is what it is to an extent. I do feel for folk trying to get on the property ladder. Or going on the lash. :lol:
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Thanks for that :)
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

It needs to crash.My girls cannot afford to buy.I don't care if my value crashes:it is a home ,not the investment most folks seem to think it is.A shelter.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:09 pm It needs to crash.My girls cannot afford to buy.I don't care if my value crashes:it is a home ,not the investment most folks seem to think it is.A shelter.
While I'll confess a bit of a bias as landlord, its not quite that simple. So much of our economy is wrapped up in property, easy to understand on an overpacked island but I agree its not right.

As for the "investment" side, for right or wrong it is an investment, it always has been, at least now there's a lot more legislation and like any other investment some people lose out. We've debated the woes of paying off a mortgage in the late 80's in the past, its all a gamble.
jansman

Post by jansman »

There’s more than one way to look at the purchase of houses. For us though, it was about buying a place to live, and owning it outright before retirement. We achieved that. On the flip side, our pension provisions are woeful. We worked low to medium pay over the last thirty years, so there’s only so much cash to go round.

Sure, we have ‘equity’ in the ‘value’ of the house. We do; the house is ‘worth’£ ???? Or whatever folks are willing to stump up. However, it is not what we would deem an investment. For it to be that, it would have had to be paid in cash upon the day we got the keys, and over time increased in monetary value. We were paying 15% interest on the loan at one point. Mortgaged houses are like buying gold sovereigns as an investment , but doing it with a credit card.Unless it’s cash, it is not a financial investment. Of course, if you have tenants paying the bill, that’s another matter - but we did not.

In the end , all you do when selling your house is to liquidate whatever cash it happens to be worth at that time. You have to conveniently forget that you paid your loan off time and time again! I believe that the direct translation of Mortgage from French is “ Death Grip!”

I never grasped the idea of an economy based on house values and ‘ Notional Wealth’, it’s bonkers. A debt - based system that encourages borrowers to borrow more, based on the notion that their property can back up the debt every time. One day the Piper has to be paid...

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 am One day the Piper has to be paid...
Not if you're the Lender.... :evil:

My Endowment policy matures next year.... £13,000 less than originally stated and that includes the compensation they promised.

The Lender has gone from strength to strength. £16.9 Billion revenue in 2015

Luckily I paid it off early and just used it as a savings scheme...
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.