What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Stonecarver

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Stonecarver »

Totally agree with you Jansman. Equity rich cash poor
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 am WOW! That is some collection of cooking and heating equipment. (Me thinks your addiction is greater than you admit) :lol:

Love the look of the EcoZoom Versa stove. Their web page says it has a 5 year life term, I assume that's for everyday use? Have you tried yours yet?
Moi? Addiction? Some mistake surely...? :? Ok..yes..My name is UKPrepperGrrl and I'm addicted to cooking sources (as opposed to cooking sauces! :lol: ) I know it's an addiction because no I haven't actually tried it out yet! :( However I did purchase about 50Kg of charcoal briquettes for it (and the dutch oven - did I mention the dutch oven?) from Lidl as they were half price at the end of August :D In fairness I have been playing with the gel burners to see what they can heat up and how long they take (ages, but they do get there and usefully they can be used safely indoors...say in your nuclear bunker... :roll: ), then my car broke and then I went down with the summer coughing lurgy. Yes I am aware that this is yet more classic denial...
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 am Oh yes, I almost forgot! My elderly neighbour is moving next week to a smaller property. He has given me about a quarter ton of coal- I said I would move it today :roll: Doh!

I know he likes a drop of brandy, so I will see him right. Better get my lazy carcass out of bed!
How much is his house on for?
Why do you ask?
Lemme see...a house with a useful neighbour who we all know has a well-stocked larder, a large amount of kit, a working garden, knowledgable on "useful" matters, and whose bribery weak points we all know well :D I can think of worse places to move to!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! :lol: It ain’t a bad place to live. Right on top of good shooting and fishing. Did I mention that another elderly neighbor offered me 1 whole year’s worth of seasoned logs? :D She is moving in with her daughter. My neighbours are people I have helped over the years, and being old school country folk, they always return favours- even though it’s not expected. It’s sad though, that the blow- ins don’t have the same values. Oh well...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 pm
Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 am WOW! That is some collection of cooking and heating equipment. (Me thinks your addiction is greater than you admit) :lol:

Love the look of the EcoZoom Versa stove. Their web page says it has a 5 year life term, I assume that's for everyday use? Have you tried yours yet?
Moi? Addiction? Some mistake surely...? :? Ok..yes..My name is UKPrepperGrrl and I'm addicted to cooking sources (as opposed to cooking sauces! :lol: ) I know it's an addiction because no I haven't actually tried it out yet! :( However I did purchase about 50Kg of charcoal briquettes for it (and the dutch oven - did I mention the dutch oven?) from Lidl as they were half price at the end of August :D In fairness I have been playing with the gel burners to see what they can heat up and how long they take (ages, but they do get there and usefully they can be used safely indoors...say in your nuclear bunker... :roll: ), then my car broke and then I went down with the summer coughing lurgy. Yes I am aware that this is yet more classic denial...
About the only cooking system I don't have (yet....) is the burn gel. I do have compatible cook systems (even a hexy will work) but yeah. I can give them up any time..... honest. :oops:

Like yourself I've got an array of options. To my shame, I've not used my Dutch oven, I've seasoned it but I really should give it a go. I do make good use of my iron skillet when camping though, great for everything apart from fried eggs. :evil: It does come down to what you want to use your cooking system(s) for, there's a lot to be said for the briefcase stoves, cheap, simple and will give you the ability to cook in the house if the hob isn't working*.

*Do your own research or trials, the advice is DON'T use them indoors.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just reading through,and I realise that I allowed predictive text to sneak in an Americanism! Neighbour,NOT Neighbor!.Sorry!

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 am I never grasped the idea of an economy based on house values and ‘ Notional Wealth’, it’s bonkers. A debt - based system that encourages borrowers to borrow more, based on the notion that their property can back up the debt every time. One day the Piper has to be paid...
Took me a while to even try to grasp the idea of a debt based economy where a debt is seen and classed as an asset and then combined with fractional reserve banking where that debt or rather loan is literally created out of fresh air but that invented loan is then seen as an additional asset allowing the lender to loan out even more. There are some videos on YouTube that try to explain it in simplistic terms but it's still something that doesn't seem quite right to me at least.
jansman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:09 pm It needs to crash.My girls cannot afford to buy.I don't care if my value crashes:it is a home ,not the investment most folks seem to think it is.A shelter.
Not wanting to get into a brexit argument but there are "experts" who are predicting a drop in house prices once we leave . That's based on the belief the economy will suffer to a degree and less wealth in the system should drive prices down along with fewer people coming into the country lowering demand having a further downward trend. Of course less money in the economy could just as easily mean lower earnings so those "cheaper" house are still as much out of reach.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I do agree with your last paragraph.

Robert Frost.

Me.
MancLife

Post by MancLife »

Have finally bought a frontier stove to go in my bell tent. I’ve also designed a piece of wood to replace a window in the living room that would allow the chimney to pass through. So worst case happens I can pop the beading off the window, replace it with the wood and have a wood stove indoors. Not told the wife the last bit though! 😂
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MancLife wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 pm Have finally bought a frontier stove to go in my bell tent. I’ve also designed a piece of wood to replace a window in the living room that would allow the chimney to pass through. So worst case happens I can pop the beading off the window, replace it with the wood and have a wood stove indoors. Not told the wife the last bit though! 😂
Welcome to the forum can you please post an introduction in the new members area

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=196

viewforum.php?f=9

Thanks
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine